Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:32 PM

230 posts, read 229,038 times

Advertisements

This is about jobs-some say its for passion while other for the cash.I mostly on the side of cash;people want this job because of the pay/money but have no passion for it such as the Adult films/prostitution/labourers(Correct me if am wrong). Very few do it for the passion but usually claim so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 AM

248 posts, read 175,612 times
It takes a few to have the heart to follow their passion, most people will go for their desires and don't grow or even pursue what they love to do. Cash is a necessity but I don't love it but I'll utilize it.

Oh I don't think prostitutes and labourers do it for the passion, I'm willing to bet 99.99 percent of people in those fields aren't happy in life.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Interesting grouping of occupations you have there.

Anyhow, what's a passionate job? Consider what Navy (carrier) aviators have said: "All this and they pay me, too!". I would guess that astronauts might be like that, too.............but I think Navy aviators have it much better just because there are more chances to be doing what they actually love.

Basically, that kind of adrenaline rush job probably comes down as passionate.....at least when you are single.

Basically, if you don't have to make a living at what you are doing, then it is a passion. It is something I sort of realized once in my acting classes, seeing my classmates worrying about call backs and realizing, to them, this is their bread and butter but to me, IT WAS A GAME! When I expressed that to one of my acting teachers, she told me that was the way to do acting if you could afford it. Consider the late Anne Haney:
Anne Haney - IMDb

Like those famous lines of Daffy Duck, if it's a living, then it is probably "Eeh!".....but it does pay the bills.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:10 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,762,921 times
I will be teaching my kids that a career is about cash first, passion second. In other words, choose a career that may not be your most favorite thing in the world to do, but is your most enjoyable thing that makes enough money to have a safe, secure, and healthy lifestyle.

After you accomplish that, then take your favorite thing in the world and make it your hobby. That you fund with the cash from your career.

And that, my friends, is the secret to having both passion and cash.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleWany View Post
This is about jobs-some say its for passion while other for the cash.I mostly on the side of cash;people want this job because of the pay/money but have no passion for it such as the Adult films/prostitution/labourers(Correct me if am wrong). Very few do it for the passion but usually claim so
Lol. Many people in corporate jobs also just do it for the money, but really don't have much passion for it, like I doubt many people dream of being a McDonald's regional manager, but it probably pays a decent living especially if you are one of the lucky few who were able to claw their way up from the bottom.

I actually remember an episode of Oprah way back when and she was talking to girls who worked at the Bunny Ranch (whatever it's called, outside of Vegas) and most of them genuinely enjoyed their jobs. They said most of the men wanted companionship and someone to talk more than sex, but that was part of the deal. But working there is probably much better quality of life and customer than the average woman working the streets (which makes for a good case to legalize prostitution).

You have to have a job to survive and unfortunately the way things are set up now, there is just too much risk and not enough reward or time for people to follow their true passions.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,702,832 times
Utopia = striving to obtain the job you are passionate about, and then getting paid to do it.

I was one of those guys who said every week that I couldn't believe I was getting to do all this - and getting paid for it, too!

The operative part of the first sentence is striving to obtain the job you are passionate about. If you graduated from wherever and have no goals, no ambition and no passion, you shall be doomed to a career of working for the paycheck.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
It takes a few to have the heart to follow their passion, most people will go for their desires and don't grow or even pursue what they love to do. Cash is a necessity but I don't love it but I'll utilize it.
Well said. I also think people have the false impression that people who have money hoard it for the sake of hoarding when they are very wrong. My passion is to utilize my money to provide me with a cash flow. But that takes lots of money to do. Money utilized well can provide freedom.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,770,499 times
I like passion for cash. Works for me...LOL

Old 11-19-2015, 04:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
I started working for my step father when I was about 6 years old. If I did not do my chores I did not have supper. For the next 60 years I worked for enough money to provide supper. Even being a thug in 'Nam was mostly for room, food and a bit of money.

I am now retired and, even with what would be considered a small pension by many of the posters, am doing the things I enjoy. Like posting on this forum.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:03 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,859,730 times
I learned to turn my passion into cash. Of course I was one of those aimlessly wandering around in my late teens and early 20's with absolutely no idea what to do. But I loved to fish and fishing could be right expensive. So I put the two together and almost 25 years later I am still doing it, along with spinoffs of that line of work to keep me busy and build up a clientele for when I can't function as a fisherman anymore.

The problem/risk is losing interest when your hobby/passion becomes a career. I tried building custom fishing rods in another life before I started working on boats. I built them for me and enjoyed it because it was a hobby. When I started taking a few orders and doing repairs my hobby became a job and I gave up. My dad was the same way with carving decorative decoys and other birds. He loved it as a hobby but then started going to shows and taking orders. His passion then became a job and he gave up on it, never to carve another decoy again.

I think why it works for me, regarding fishing, is that there is no way I can afford to pay to go offshore fishing. I am also not the one who has to be on the rod. So I get to coach and guide anglers to fish that I wouldn't be able to afford to go for otherwise. Win/win for me. I actually get paid to do something people pay to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates