Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM

465 posts, read 614,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Many of you have missed the topic. It was about how to stop all the gun violence. The answer is simple. Murder someone with a gun and the penalty is automatic death. Two appeals, and then you're done. None of this 20 years to put someone to death. It's simple and effective. Its also just. You take someone elses life, then you don't deserve that. God taught us that. Will it perfectly stop all the crime, no. But it will put a big whole in the problem. Obviously. There will not be any getting out of jail and doing it again, as has been true in so many cases. And finally, we punish the criminal, not honest citizens.
Current gun crimes are NOT being enforced. Those who commit crimes with guns are having weapon charges dropped and serving lesser sentences. If the government would only prosecute those who use guns illegally.

Right around the planned parenthood shooting a man (former felon) and a few others I think shot at 17 people at a park. This guy was released because of catch and release. His criminal history was violent. Why was he released? This guy had a violent rap sheet. Had he still been off the streets maybe this mas shooting would never have occurred, maybe there would have been less victims.

Most liberal democrats are against the death penalty. I can't see any of those politicians taking on this platform. You shoot up a place and have a clear disregard for life (with eyewitnesses so there is NO doubt) I'm all for it. You don't belong in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,940,039 times
If in stead People are encouraged to take responsibility for their own security, get training and practice with a weapon, those with the inclination to violence have a harder time finding a target..
Those of you that are anti gun have little actual experience with them and the fear is to some degree exaggerated .
A stove is dangerous ,cars are dangerous, spoiled food is dangerous, drugs are dangerous, modern medicine is dangerous.
Why do you need a gun and the skill , to take responsibility for your own security.
this country as well as many others are going to be more crowded by some very backward and aggressive people .
The current government is not interested in americanizing them, but in reverse ,adopting their barbaric behaviors.
These believe that you owe them your living, and your life .
Do you ?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
For a country to not even ban gun sales to people that can't fly, that says it all.
That list is very broad, those people have been convicted of nothing and are merely under suspicion for example something they said on the Internet. You do not have a Constitutional right to get on a plane, you do to own weapons and it's unlikely such a law would get by SCOTUS.

Quote:
There is no reason for Americans to own military style guns and equipment.
I've already asked this numerous times and have yet to receive a response. I want you to define the fundamental difference between an AR-15 and any semi auto hunting rifle.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:57 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,580,725 times
Quote:
The first issue that needs to be faced up to by this country and admitted. Is the fact there is a very strange love for guns in this country. A gun culture that doesn't seem to exist outside this country. It is so strong that even the most basic law, to curb any gun is blocked by politicians. It's blocked because there is a huge following of voters that want it that way.

There is no reason for Americans to own military style guns and equipment. Start there ban them. Enact the most strictest background checks we have ever had. Is another way to deal with all of this.

What is one good reason anyone needs to own Assault rifles? Using this ridiculous 2nd Amendment baloney some 300 years later.

It's time to get off our rear ends and do something about this. I personally will not support any politician that does not publically deal with this issue. With a plan to properly deal with this horrible issue, should they be elected. If no one deals with it. I do not vote for them. If no one deals with it. This will be the first time in my life I will not have voted. I am that disgusted with weak politicians and their followers. If all I can do is write letters to politicians with my disgust for all of this. Then so be it, that will have to be my part in this horrible problem in this country.

Yes indeed, Voters want t that way, and will always want it that way. That's why we are the Majority, and Politicians that are smart recognize that. WE also have the NRA, to make sure you minority folks don't give away out rights as you give yours away.

We don't need a "Reason" to own a Particular Gun. Wanting to own one is enough. That's why its America. If you don't want one. fine, don't buy one. Maybe I don't think you "Need" the type of Car your Driving, or maybe don't need that drink before dinner. Your needs and wants mean nothing to me. As much as mine means to you.

If you want to change the Constitution, maybe we should start with the First Amendment. We could stop you from spouting anti-gun Propaganda. Would you like that? Does not matter what you think of the 2nd . Scrotus has covered that bridge

Write to your Hearts content, don't vote. WE don't want the people in office that you would vote for anyway. Do what we do, Get a Server and dedicate it to writing to your Representatives and everyone else. We can write and send 1000 e-mails to your one. Go for it.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
And if the Liberals do manage to "fix" all of their perceived problems Los Angeles will look like downtown Kabul.

I live in CA and own numerous guns, shoot regularly and Im not a criminal. I think it is absolutely outrageous that i cannot legally carry a pistol to protect myself mostly due to the County i live in. They need to nationally recognize the concealed carry laws to allow any non criminal with the proper training to carry a weapon of their choice.
Perhaps, but your version of events is quite sad. Truly sad that a country needs armed civilians to feel safe.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Let's assumed all firearms are banned, that the entire country is a gun free zone. There are an estimated 270 million firearms in circulation right now. How do the gun control advocates propose to take the guns away from criminals or other bad people who would not be inclined to turn them in voluntarily?
Like I said, it would take generations. You have to start somewhere.

My guess is that those guns will not be confiscated unless discovered by authorities, and harsher penalties for those using illegal guns that should of been turned in.

However, it's no one is proposing banning all firearms, but stricter and better regulations to get those death numbers down.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:29 PM

943 posts, read 783,809 times
Ban all guns except for very low capacity guns. Essentially basic pistols and hunting rifles. There are so many guns in circulation, so it will take years and even decades to destroy them all, but it is something we need to start doing. Homicidal people will have to use handmade bombs and knifes in order to engage in mass murder. Gun control won't stop murderous people, but it will reduce the effectiveness of their murder attempts.

And the second amendment is about militias, not personal gun ownership. Even if it wasn't, it is up for sane people to live on 21st century standards not 18th century.

Also the nation needs to stop being dictated my loud minorities. Most Americans don't own guns. I think only 30% of Americans own a gun or more. How is this population so powerful???

Old 12-06-2015, 02:31 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,043,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
As has been said many times, our weapons problem is rooted in America's long term essential conflict: the rights of the individual versus the good of the many.

Gun luvin' weirdos place individual rights over the common good. The rest of us think the common good is more important than the individual rights of a bunch of terbakie chewin' ignorant dumbo trump luvin' weirdees.
All you have shown in this post is your complete lack of understanding of our Rights. Use the 1st amendment as and example since your so clearly hung up on guns. You can't yell fire in a crowded theatre and claim 1st amendment. By the same token you can't go around gagging everyone that heads into a theatre because they "might" yell fire. That's clearly illegal. Same concept applies with guns. You can't restrict a law abiding citizens access to guns just because they might go kill some people.

Infringing one persons rights is never good for the many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It didn't leave me speechless. I found it amusing how simple minded morons could be swayed by such ridiculous and meaningless propaganda. The whole idea behind the commercial is completely irrelevant to this discussion and doesn't stand against a basic understanding of our Rights.

Quote:
The first issue that needs to be faced up to by this country and admitted. Is the fact there is a very strange love for guns in this country. A gun culture that doesn't seem to exist outside this country. It is so strong that even the most basic law, to curb any gun is blocked by politicians. It's blocked because there is a huge following of voters that want it that way. No one is fooling me on this issue. Guns have more respect in this country than human life. Or something would have been done about this. As the NY Times said yesterday. It is a disgrace in this country and a moral outrage, that nothing is done.

For a country to not even ban gun sales to people that can't fly, that says it all. We are living in a country that is ridiculously violent, and yet we have no protection from our Gov't. Many politicians want all of us armed. As do many really odd Americans that are behind it. Going about our days carrying a gun wherever we go. Well I don't want to live in a country that has returned to the 1800's wild west. If that is how America deals with itself in this day and age. Then we have already reached the end. It is not a society even worth living in, because its become a sick failure of a society. One that settles everything by violence and doesn't look for solutions. What is known as the Ugly American.

There is no reason for Americans to own military style guns and equipment. Start there ban them. Enact the most strictest background checks we have ever had. Is another way to deal with all of this.

Most of all face the damn facts as to why, so many Americans follow the crowd. One has guns so they all have to have guns. What is one good reason anyone needs to own Assault rifles? Rifles that shoot ridiculous amounts of ammo. Why do people need them, other than the obvious we have already seen in this country. Killing people in mass shootings. Using this ridiculous 2nd Amendment baloney some 300 years later. An amendment that was written in a completely different time period. When people used muskets, and no one knew there was going to be 50 states. 50 states that quite frankly have no business all being in the same country.

It's time to get off our rear ends and do something about this. I personally will not support any politician that does not publically deal with this issue. With a plan to properly deal with this horrible issue, should they be elected. If no one deals with it. I do not vote for them. If no one deals with it. This will be the first time in my life I will not have voted. I am that disgusted with weak politicians and their followers. If all I can do is write letters to politicians with my disgust for all of this. Then so be it, that will have to be my part in this horrible problem in this country.
After reading your post I seriously doubt you are an American. While its possible that you are a naturalized Citizen (in which case you failed to understand the country you immigrated into) I doubt you were born here. If so I must apologize to you for whatever education (or lack thereof) you received. It obviously didn't include enough about what this country or its history.

Last edited by justanokie; 12-06-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 02:51 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,043,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
And the second amendment is about militias, not personal gun ownership. Even if it wasn't, it is up for sane people to live on 21st century standards not 18th century.

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress

Quote:
The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner.

So just like the 1st amendment the 2nd amendment protects your individual rights to bear arms.

Nothing in the last 200 years has changed this basic concept.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,812,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress

So just like the 1st amendment the 2nd amendment protects your individual rights to bear arms.

Nothing in the last 200 years has changed this basic concept.
It says in a peaceful manner. There is nothing peaceful about 30,000 people being killed by guns every year. It doesn't say restrictions and guidelines are prohibited and it doesn't say every idiot gets a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates