Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,850,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Terrorism is caused by governments and let them handle it . But school shootings can be stopped by educating the parents to behave properly at home. And more importantly teach the kids to be polite and not bullies.
Who was the bully, when 5 and 6 year old children were murdered by a monster? There needs to be more respect for human and animal life. Because someone is unhappy with their lack of love or what ever; does not give them the license to kill.

The monster that killed and injured and ruined so many lives in Colorado Springs, talking and ranting, in court, yesterday, (about being the spokesperson for babies)....................he was on a rampage and killed and shot everyone in his way, on that black, bleak, cold, sad and miserable day. I can not get the image of those guns and terrified people running for their lives. All the killings are horrific. When the tragedy happens near your home; it drives the devil's message home.

I am so grateful, the nearby high school, was on Thanksgiving break.

I wonder why the judge in this case, let the monster go on and on??? Plus, let the cameras stay on. Should the judge be sanctioned? Scary, un-hinged people. What are we going to do? Seems like people that should be making clear, concise decisions are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:49 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,284,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, we are again immersed in this modern debate of spontaneous or fanatical attacks on crowd gatherings, access to weapons, and our helplessness to stop it. How do we predict the potential of an individual to decide to become a killer? How do we limit their access to weapons in a free society? Is there any compromise in our culture for to make access to weapons more selective?

I don't think we will ever be able to predict when someone snaps and decides to kill or to kill for a cause, not without everyone giving up their personal liberties. Unless we capitulate to be analyzed at any time for any reason, there are an infinite number of reasons that change the way we look at the world. If we want to remain free, we need to accept a certain level of risk.

Gun control is a lightening rod, politicians don't want to touch it and there are people as passionately for it as against it. But even the most ardent gun owner has to admit this is getting too frequent, is it due to cultural influence, or sensationalizing by the media? I wish I had an answer, I can see both sides, most of the recent mass shootings in the US involved legally acquired guns, so how would tighter control help? On the other hand, access to plenty of ammo and automatic weapons have resulted in a shooter doing a lot of damage in a short amount of time. Take guns away and the terrorist or murderer will find another way to kill people. Arm everyone and it could escalate what would have been minor disagreements into more frequent shootouts or collateral deaths. Do you think there is a solution in between?

As far as the media, it's one thing to report on an attack, but today's media doesn't stop there, they begin dialogue of opinions and conjecture and that may be part of the problem. The more opinionated the conversation becomes, the more it amplifies our emotions, so rather than see the problem it devolves into passionate differences and that ultimately results in a two sided and polarizing argument with no compromise and no action to the original problem. The media also provides a platform for the people who want to perpetrate terror on a global scale or local killers, they may thrive on the notoriety or the ability to force whole governments to react.

Really tough problem, especially in the US where we value our liberties and rights. There needs to be a conversation that includes organizations like the NRA as well as gun control advocates. Unless we can talk about it without attacking one another, this is going to continue to happen. What are your thoughts?
Should we ban cars, planes, knives, and sticks because people have used those to commit crimes? Gun control sounds nice but it doesn't matter to any criminal who wants to commit crimes. He or she is a criminal. They don't care about laws. Only law abiding citizens care about laws. We need less gun control so that good people can defend themselves.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,574 times
Mass murders, gun control, and how do we fix it?

The answer is easy, go back to firearms training in schools, get rid of gun free zones, and go back to putting crazies back in loony bins. All who own or wish to own guns should complete a firearms course like the concealed carry course or military training. Also all American citizens who are physically capable should serve at least 2 years in selective service. Finally enforce the gun laws we have, close our boarders, deport illegals, turn back refugees, and penalize companies who use such labor.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,557,172 times
We're all trying to figure out how to stop these mass murders.

Here is a story of one that was thwarted. I had not heard of this case until today, although it happened in 2013

Its a case of a Colombine/Sandy Hook type event being thwarted due to an observant person notifying the police:

The Massacre That Didn't Happen

Teen who planned massacre: 'I'm really mentally ill' - CNN.com

This 17yo kid was making his bombs, and doing all his planning, - all the while his parents had no idea. Had this person not called the police when they saw him going into a storage unit, we most likely would have had another mass shooting/bomb event.

This is a very in-depth article about John LaDue and the influence mass shooters are having on each other, particularly since Colombine:

How School Shootings Spread - The New Yorker

From this article - this describes how the police were tipped off:

"...a woman was doing the dishes when she looked out her kitchen window and saw a young man walking through her back yard. He was wearing a backpack and carrying a fast-food bag and was headed in the direction of the MiniMax Storage facility next to her house. Something about him didn’t seem right. Why was he going through her yard instead of using the sidewalk? He walked through puddles, not around them. He fiddled with the lock of Unit 129 as if he were trying to break in. She called the police."

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 01-02-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 03:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,848,148 times
I just do not understand the thought that because a minority few use guns in an illegal manner, restrictions should be thrown up on everyone even though these restrictions do not do anything to curtail illegal use of guns.

Chicago, a city with basically no gun stores and a very low rate of legal gun ownership, is awash in gun violence, yet numerous places with lots of gun stores and a high rate of legal gun ownership have a fraction of the gun violence, yet the beat of the drum is "we must further restrict guns". So because Chicago Bob uses a gun illegally, Dallas Joe should have more restrictions put in place?

How about address why people want to use guns illegally? While gun violence is caused by all demographics, young black males make up a disproportionate amount of this violence. Why not address this? If events have shown, people will get guns, even in restrictive Europe, people were able to get full auto, military grade weapons.

You can make guns, you can make ammo, it is simple to do. The reason it is not done is because it is not cost effective to do so. In a scenario where all guns are rounded up and destroyed, those who really want guns will get them, because they will be made illegally and imported illegally, just has illegal drugs are. But at that; why are legal, responsible owners to be punished for the actions of the minority few?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:53 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,900,885 times
I have a simple solution to mass murders. Once one of your kinfolk kills any of mine, I should be able to kill one of yours.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
With a population of about 320 million people, no matter what we do, there will be cases of nuts trying to kill as many people as possible. And the media will make sure everyone hears about each incident, many times, including years after it happened. So the risk to you as an individual is still negligible--there are many things far more likely and dangerous for you to focus on (relative risk), than being caught in a Mass Murder by Gun scenario.

Plus, I'd rather deal with a gunman, than a guy looking to place a bunch of bombs in public places, or someone poisoning a public water supply, or a group setting canisters of Sarin gas to go off in a subway. Even if you aren't armed and nobody else can carry, a shooter can only go after one at a time, and it is VERY hard to hit a running, dodging target--or you can hide, or play dead. And now that shooters have been successfully rushed and overpowered (France), everyone should keep that option in mind too.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM

2,016 posts, read 1,653,218 times
there are three things you cant avoid, death taxes and talk about guns!! we are a lost cause when it comes to guns, if we were a moral society we would have banned guns decades ago.if another country killed as many americans as we kill each with guns we would consider it an act of war but here we talk about for a few days and a few brave ones talk about gun control and then everything is forgotten.the saddest part of all of this is that we are doing ISIS's job for them, if I was a terrorist I wouldnt be building bombs I would be funding the NRA and giving guns away for free, give us enough rope and we will hang ourselves.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,259,732 times
I think we could change the narrative. Mass shooters should not be characterized as sick or lonely people. They should be characterized as terrorists and dealt with accordingly. Bombs, guns, it doesn't matter. I'm surprised that it took this long (San Bernadino) for a terrorist to figure out that they can use our gun culture against us. It doesn't take a genius to see that staging an attack of that nature is very easy - there's a TON of source material to study.

Seriously, when groups like the Black Panthers or the Weathermen were active, most Americans wanted them shut down and in jail. There was no sympathy for them.

For whatever reason, we seem to have evolved as a society where occasional random carnage is a price of freedom. I don't know why in the world we put up with it.

Another thing I would change if I were in the media is, instead of showing pictures of the shooters, show pictures of the dead - I mean images taken in the immediate aftermath. I think people need to see what a place and the people in it look like when it's shot up. Sometimes it takes a My Lai or a Emmet Till type image to get through to people.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,900,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
there are three things you cant avoid, death taxes and talk about guns!! we are a lost cause when it comes to guns, if we were a moral society we would have banned guns decades ago.if another country killed as many americans as we kill each with guns we would consider it an act of war but here we talk about for a few days and a few brave ones talk about gun control and then everything is forgotten.the saddest part of all of this is that we are doing ISIS's job for them, if I was a terrorist I wouldnt be building bombs I would be funding the NRA and giving guns away for free, give us enough rope and we will hang ourselves.
Exactly opposite. If we were a moral society, we would never attempt to abolish guns or try to limit it. There's no danger from guns among moral people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates