Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I like the fact that you think those with mental illness shouldn't have the same "civil rights" the rest of us enjoy.

Hmmmm. Interesting that you put yourself with the "us" folks versus the "those with mental illness" folks, as though they are two distinct, disparate groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 10:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
bullets? Really?

Do you know how many people reload? I don't even know where to start here. Holy carp.

Your opinions are futile. Within 10 years, guns will no longer be in your hands.

It is not a question of IF, its a matter of WHEN.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Stricter control is coming .. the foundation is currently being solidly laid down behind the scenes.
Watch and see.
Recent rulings by SCOTUS have reaffirmed gun rights substantially and there is more in the pipeline that will probably come before them in the near future. Those rulings can only be changed in two ways. First you can amend the Constitution, that's not going to happen because you need 38 states to agree to it. The second way they can be changed is by SCOTUS overruling itself, this is a very rare occurrence.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-03-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 10:50 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,754 times
This article explains things really well.

Gun-Rights Advocates Claim Criminals Don't Follow Gun Laws. Here's the Research That Shows They're Wrong.

And yes, properly implemented gun control works. Some states have made good efforts towards gun control that have had a positive impact, but until there is something universal across the board, the US hasn't had proper implementation and things will just get worse.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
.... that's not going to happen because you need 38 states to agree to it. The second way they can be changed is by SCOTUS overruling itself, this is a very rare occurrence.
Funny not very long ago everyone thought the same about gay marriage. "It'll never happen!"

......…then look what happened.

I know the secret formula for changing 'unchangeable' laws. Do you?
Get enough people upset/scared/angry/helpless/offended/murdered/paralyzed/violated/stressed.. and they will cause social unrest. Once social unrest occurs, political unrest occurs. And laws are changed to avoid an imploding catostrophic meltdown.

Observe history and that is very apparent.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,413,979 times
Another depressing thread of gun nuts, I mean advocates or enthusiasts or whatever they call themselves, saying basically the following:

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than by being killed in a mass-shooting, so the hundreds of people who are dead are just those who didn't beat the odds.

None of the proposed stricter gun laws will help....so why bother trying? Because there always will be somebody who finds a way to beat the system.

Mental-health laws are the problem. So let's put everyone in therapy rather than trying to prevent them from getting their hands on a gun.

We're Americans and we like our guns. Because we don't feel like real men without them. And our Constitution written in the 1700's totally backs us up on this. We don't care how many people get killed, we are not sacrificing ANYTHING when it comes to our gun freedom!

If no one had guns, they'd still find ways to do mass violence -- like bombs. So why bother doing anything about guns? They'll still find a way.

And on and on.

My .02 on the issue:

I do not care if the government reads my e-mails and listens to my phone calls, if that's what they need to do to prevent terrorism. Making sacrifices of our own personal freedoms to prevent mass violence is something we all should be willing to do -- including gun owners.

I find it so difficult to believe that NO ONE had any clue or red flags about these CA shooters or any of the other mass killers. How did these people stockpile a huge arsenal in that house without anyone getting suspicious??? I know many Muslims have denounced the terrorists AFTER the fact, but I don't see them snitching or turning in any of their Muslim brethren here OR overseas (e.g., Boston, Belgium). That is one of the reasons that people unfortunately do not trust them.

I see that there was a bill introduced by Democrats today to tighten up gun controls and surprise surprise, it was rejected by the Republicans. Unbelievable. And yet they have no other solutions to offer....

Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
* Gun owners only allowed to purchase 10 bullets per year.

Only allow hunters/etc/whoever passes a very thorough background check to have a singe caliber shot gun. Only allow any given person to buy/own possess 10 or less bullets. NEVER more. Every bullet will be legally accountable for.

It won't take away gun ownership totally or violate the Amendments -and 10 bullets is more than enough to protect yourself- but by enforcing VERY strict laws, at lease it would make it easier to prevent mass attacks. If you can only fire one bullet at a time before you have to stop and unload = it gives good people time defend themselves as well, and knock you out before you make it as far as shooting anyone else.
In one of my CHL requal classes, the instructor pointed out that if we were the kind of person who only shot on our requals (every 4 years), that could be used against us in court (if we had to shoot) since we didn't maintain our marksmanship proficiency.

Are you, GODDESS, a shooter? Do you know how essential it is to practice? Are you aware that marksmanship is very perishable skill?

Limiting people to 10 rounds a year would be something like criminal negligence of the government for all those rounds that did not go into their intended target and instead, ended up in some innocent bystander.

Marksmanship practice is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
.......I see that there was a bill introduced by Democrats today to tighten up gun controls and surprise surprise, it was rejected by the Republicans. Unbelievable. And yet they have no other solutions to offer....
This bill?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ng_128925.html

No, there was a bill introduced by the Democrats to remove "due process of law" about buying guns if a person was on the watch list.

If you want to remove someone's rights, they have to be taken to court and convicted.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Link proving that statistic.

Before you Google, here is an article for you to read.

President Obama Is Right: States With Strict Gun Laws Have Fewer Gun Deaths*|*Josh Sugarmann

If a background check is not required, what will stop them from buying one. Will they go in and say, "hey I just did time, is that cool?"

Yeah, that's important because most people who survive a first attempt, don't do it again. If they can't get to a gun, they'll use something else BUT survive.

How do you hide a rifle?

You totally missed the point. A woman called the police, they did nothing then he murdered three people. Why do we have to wait for someone to die before we act??

You don't understand the Constitution. They are ALWAYS up for debate. Gun nuts are irrational. They think their gun is more important than human life.

I already addressed go back and read. Carefully.

So, the thing I always find interesting is that gun "advocates" never like any of the ideas presented to prevent gun violence and mass shootings, but they NEVER offer any suggestions to fix the problem. And yes, we have a problem. Over 30,000 people are killed by guns in the US every year. It's insane! So give a solution. A solid solution backed up before statistical evidence. Also, I would like to see a country where the citizens have easy access to various types of guns, ownership is high and gun violence rates are low.

They do not seem to grasp the fact that the Constitution is a flexible document. It has and can be amended.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Lightbulb Mass murders, gun control, and how do we fix it?

Like we've "fixed" drunk driving: focus on the drunks, not the cars.

Attack the problem, which is allowing criminals and nutjobs to have access to weapons.

Too much of "gun control" is analogous to restricting sober people from owning cars because there are some drunks out there.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Funny not very long ago everyone thought the same about gay marriage. "It'll never happen!"

......…then look what happened.

I know the secret formula for changing 'unchangeable' laws. Do you?
Get enough people upset/scared/angry/helpless/offended/murdered/paralyzed/violated/stressed.. and they will cause social unrest. Once social unrest occurs, political unrest occurs. And laws are changed to avoid an imploding catostrophic meltdown.

Observe history and that is very apparent.
This is a false analogy. The proper analogy would be that the gay marriage law could be overturned. That is possible however it would require 38 states to vote to amend the Constitution or for SCOTUS to overrule itself. It's just not going to happen.

This is not a law you simply change, this is like suggesting you could simply create a law to abridge the freedom of speech. These fundamental rights like freedom of speech and the right to bear arms were purposely made extremely difficult to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates