Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,705,416 times

Advertisements

I served 6 years in the Army, '66-72.
I have hunted and shot most of my life starting around 7 or so.
I have carried legally concealed for nearly 40 years of my life.
I don't have any beliefs that one person alone can take on multiple shooters alone and survive without getting really lucky. However I will not lay down like a sheep and allow someone to start shooting at me or anyone else without returning fire.
I carry nearly 40 rounds of ammo in two mags with police grade ammo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 02:31 PM

678 posts, read 698,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Do you actually have the equipment and the training to make fighting anything other than a suicide move?

If yes, then by all means fight!

But if not, you're better off concentrating your efforts on escaping (unless escape is no longer possible, and fighting is your only option left - but in that case, you're probably going to die).

You are the millionth person to say that

Old 12-12-2015, 02:50 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,973,105 times
I am a mere citizen prole. I would call 9/11, notify the authorities and calmly await our rescue. This has never failed.

You Josey Wales vigilantes and your medieval beliefs in self-reliance. Get with the times. Government is the answer to all of our problems.

As a loyal prole hoping for promotion to the elite Inner Party, I am strongly considering notification of the proper authorities.

Self reliance? Phssst....this is 2015. Can't wait to be chipped so our thoughts can be read in real time. Then we will have the nirvana that we seek.

Patience comrades....global governments are hard at work. Terrorism will soon be nothing more than a footnote in history books. Soma to all...

With comrades like Obama, Putin, Netanyahu, and Erdogan...there is no reason to worry our pretty little heads. Peace be with you.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 12-12-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 03:02 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,163,278 times
I can't imagine just lying down and dying without protest. If i am going to die, anyway, I'm sure as shootin' going to take someone with me.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:16 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
You are the millionth person to say that
Think hard about it. Sacrificing yourself to save others can definitely be a worthy act, but dying to no purpose is anything but. It's just a waste. All you've accomplished in the latter case is to make the crime scene the police are going to have to clean up after the incident is over a bit messier. Oh, and breaking the hearts of your friends and family. Your pointless death will definitely accomplish that.

Accurately shooting a moving target with a handgun is not easy. Accurately shooting a target at long range with a handgun is not easy. These skills CAN be learned by civilians, but it takes practice. Lots of practice. If you want to be able to effectively intervene in an active shooter or terrorist scenario you need take the time to learn these skills, plus learn some basic tactics, or you won't be effective when your life (and the lives of who knows how many other people) are riding on your marksmanship.

And you also need to be prepared to learn the meaning of the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished." It is simply NOT POSSIBLE to guarantee every shot will hit its intended target in a combat scenario. Have you ever stopped to think of what will happen to you if one of your shots goes astray and wounds or kills an innocent person? The police have legal immunity in those cases, but you do not. There will be no way to prove how many lives you saved by your action. It will, however, be very clear how many were lost or ruined because of your gun. Be prepared to be judged by ignorant fools like Pennies4Penny (who will simply NEVER believe that mere civilians can equal the skill of the "magical" police, not matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented, and who will be completely certain that nothing worse would have happened if you had held your fire and waited patiently for the police to show up). You could be sued into bankruptcy by grieving families. You could be convicted of a crime and sent to prison. All because you took the immediate action necessary to save lives and stop a murderous rampage!

It's not the movies, kid.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,255,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
About the hijackings, remember it was only the fourth plane where the passengers revolted against the hijackers, and that was only because they knew what had happened by that time.
I don't believe it.

I've always felt that last plane was downed by US fighter jets and the propaganda machine spun the story about passengers taking matters into their own hands in some obscure way to explain the crash in the middle of PA.

In reading this thread, I'm surprised at the number of posters who realistically assess how they would think and I'm glad it doesn't read like an NRA marketing campaign about good guys with guns.

I suspect the only time the good guys with guns approach would work is if everyone knew that everybody else had a gun on them and was trained to use it but I suspect friendly fire would likely cause more damage than if they didn't have the guns.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I don't believe it.

I've always felt that last plane was downed by US fighter jets and the propaganda machine spun the story about passengers taking matters into their own hands in some obscure way to explain the crash in the middle of PA.
I guess the telephone conversations between the passengers and numerous people where they discussed what they were planning to do doesn't count.

After over 14 years, nothing has leaked from anyone who would've been involved that US fighter jets shot down Fight 93. No evidence exists that Flight 93 might've been shot down.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,580,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

In reading this thread, I'm surprised at the number of posters who realistically assess how they would think and I'm glad it doesn't read like an NRA marketing campaign about good guys with guns.
That "Marketing" scenario is an anti-gun folks invention. Its never been about the NRA making "John Wayne" or "Rambo" Clones to go out in save the World or even save their Neighbors. Its always been about the right to own guns and save yourself if you needed saving. Its the anti-gun crowd that wants people to think we are nut cases and Dangerous, because it plays into their scenario to demonize gun owners.

No single gun owner is going to take on a bunch of well armed Terrorists, with a handgun, who you know are proficient in using weapons, and follow no Laws, and are there to kill people, which includes you. If you do, you may as well use the gun on yourself, since everyone is going to be blasting away at you with all they have. Get out and only shoot if your going to die anyway.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,464,913 times
Who knows what I'd actually do? But I do have a death wish and would gladly take a bullet for a fellow human. Dying a hero would be a cool way to go out.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I always imagine myself becoming this 007 badass and killing all the bad guys without even breaking a sweat. What would you do?

I would run and hopefully find a good place to hide. If I had my gun with me, and had an opportunity to shoot a bullet into one of them then I would likely do it, and I don't think it would bother me in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates