Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:55 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,120,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
It's hard to say what anyone would do, fear would be a factor, it's easy to talk a good game until bullets start flying....
This. If folks have never been around assault rifles without hearing protection, than they really have no idea just how loud and startling it can be. Not to mention if there are IEDs going off around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:12 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,100,850 times
I have no clue. Do I have a weapon or not? How many are there? Do they catch me by surprise or do I see them and or hear them first? There are these variables and other variables that I haven't listed that have to be taken into consideration.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,252,294 times
About the only thing you can do in a situation like that is take cover and protect yourself. If you can manage that, then possibly your next course of action would be to see if you can do anything to stop the terrorists.

The reality of the situation is, the terrorists have had weeks, months, sometimes even years to plan their attack. They've chosen that specific moment due to a variety of factors to make the outcome more favorable to them. Anyone who finds themselves thrust into that situation in a moment's notice is at a severe disadvantage, and even making it out alive is a win.

With some advance warning and a weapon, of course I would take action. The consequences of not doing anything would be far worse. If you could stop just one terrorist out of a group from detonating a bomb, you could potentially save hundreds of lives.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
Of course it depends on the specifics of the attack. But I wouldn't rule out any possible action, from running away to hiding to taking action if I thought I could make a meaningful difference.

While most American men like to think that they are men of action, most are not and I used to assume that if faced with a truly scary/threatening situation I'd be most likely to run away or hide because I believe that is the most typical human reaction.

However last year I was witness to a shooting on the streets here in Chicago, and when I say "witness to" I mean I was literally directly across the street from it, saw the car stop, saw the gunman exit the car, saw him lift his gun and watched him shoot. Feeling surprisingly fearless, I stood there watching, debating what to do, judging whether I had enough time to sneak up on him and disarm him, judging whether I was big enough to overpower him if necessary. I don't know for sure what I would have decided only because my partner forced me to take cover behind a parked car. *His* reaction was to get down and hide, but mine was not.

So I can't say for certain what I'd do without seeing that actual situation but I can say with certainty that I wouldn't just automatically hide or run and I really might take matters into my own hands.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,754,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I always imagine myself becoming this 007 badass and killing all the bad guys without even breaking a sweat. What would you do?
I've imagined being one too but I need military training first

Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,478,589 times
I'd be the roadrunner...and lickity split, run for cover! Naturally I have no desire to kill any others in the process, so stay off the sidewalks when I clear out

guns, bombs and the weapons they garner will most likely maim and kill within seconds.

I find it funny when folks say they don't mind dying...How do you know? Zombie perhaps?

I lived thru some riots and that was scarry enough, I cannot imagine the terror some endure for years even with these styles of barbaric mentality.

Our americanization of the RAMBO mentality is akin to the style terrorist use....guess humans haven't evolved....

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,897,678 times
Heels and elbows, man, heels and elbows. I'd be the one running like his hair was on fire.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Of course it depends on the specifics of the attack. But I wouldn't rule out any possible action, from running away to hiding to taking action if I thought I could make a meaningful difference.

While most American men like to think that they are men of action, most are not and I used to assume that if faced with a truly scary/threatening situation I'd be most likely to run away or hide because I believe that is the most typical human reaction.

However last year I was witness to a shooting on the streets here in Chicago, and when I say "witness to" I mean I was literally directly across the street from it, saw the car stop, saw the gunman exit the car, saw him lift his gun and watched him shoot. Feeling surprisingly fearless, I stood there watching, debating what to do, judging whether I had enough time to sneak up on him and disarm him, judging whether I was big enough to overpower him if necessary. I don't know for sure what I would have decided only because my partner forced me to take cover behind a parked car. *His* reaction was to get down and hide, but mine was not.

So I can't say for certain what I'd do without seeing that actual situation but I can say with certainty that I wouldn't just automatically hide or run and I really might take matters into my own hands.
It's usually better to watch the hit from behind the car. I don't think standing in the open is the smart thing to do. If you weren't armed, your chances of doing anything to the guy were slim to none--unless you were Clayton Kershaw and happened to be holding a baseball.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,259,732 times
Even in video games, pistols lose to rifles 80-90% of the time. Also the person who gets surprised is almost always screwed. No. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. I would be running or hiding, regardless of whether I had my weapon on me.

If the attack started literally right in front of me, and I was trapped, maybe then I would intervene out of a lack of better options.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's usually better to watch the hit from behind the car. I don't think standing in the open is the smart thing to do. If you weren't armed, your chances of doing anything to the guy were slim to none--unless you were Clayton Kershaw and happened to be holding a baseball.
Like I said, it depends entirely on the circumstances. You have to weigh a lot of factors. Personal risk is just one of those factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates