Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 PM

445 posts, read 770,884 times

Advertisements

I would like to think I would do something, but there really is no telling until the time comes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
Some perspective from (highly trained) people who've been there.

Combat veterans shoot down the NRA: ‘Good guy with a gun’ is based on a ‘fantasy world’

Old 12-09-2015, 09:35 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I always imagine myself becoming this 007 badass and killing all the bad guys without even breaking a sweat. What would you do?
It would depend on whether I was armed or unarmed. If I was unarmed I would be looking for a place for me and my loved ones to hide or get away. Since I am not very mobile now and I am too big to hide I would probably die without a firearm. I hope I would have a few objects available to impede the slaughter because I would like to go down fighting.

Even if I did have a firearm I would try to get my loved ones to safety instead of confronting a terrorist(s). If I was alone I would have to stand my ground and take cover since I am too darn slow to run away. I am deadly accurate with my handguns. My carry weapon of choice is a High Standard Military Citation (in .22LR hollow points). I usually carry six clips and 100 rounds in a special belt I made. I know many out there will laugh at my choice of weapon but think about it for a second. A large caliber weapon will be a lot noisier, less accuracy close in and not nearly as much ammo capacity.

A .22LR round in a knee or elbow is going to be extremely painful. The same hollow point round in the throat, groin or head will either kill you instantly or make you wish you were dead.

Realistically the odds are almost 100% you will die if you confront a terrorist(s) unarmed but least with your own weapon you have a chance.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:00 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
I would like to think I would do something, but there really is no telling until the time comes

And This applies to about 99% of the people here............

Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
And This applies to about 99% of the people here............
Got that right!

A CCW holder who has put in some time doing real training (not just shooting at stationary targets at the range) might be of use against a lone whackdoodle with a gun (especially if the nutcase's gun is a handgun). But the scenario the OP specified was a terrorist attack, and that's an entirely different beast. Even a highly trained off-duty SWAT member or Army Ranger/Navy SEAL might be better off playing Brave Sir Robin in that situation (perhaps saving lives in the process by getting as many other people as possible out as well before retreating completely from the killing zone).

Some jobs simply need numbers and rifles.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:35 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
I would assume I might be killed, so would go out with an attempt to live.

My strategy, to distract or confuse a terrorist will be to yell 'Allahu Akbar!! I'm totally with you guys on this sh*t!!!' And try to secure an extra weapon from one of them, then take them down with it.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:36 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
It is so easy for people to second-guess why the victims in these type of massacres didn't jump on the shooters or fight back somehow, like Ben Carson ("I would not just stand there and let him shoot me"). My understanding of the Paris concert hall attack is that one shooter was acting as a lookout and scanning the crowd to make sure no one tried to be a hero. And one survivor of the CA massacre was asked why they didn't try to get out, with three exit doors, all along the same wall of the conference room. He said they were afraid of making themselves a target by standing up and going for it. I guess when you think about it, the killers aren't going to put themselves in a position to be blindsided by someone in the crowd, and who is going to rush them when it means facing certain death?

About the hijackings, remember it was only the fourth plane where the passengers revolted against the hijackers, and that was only because they knew what had happened by that time. Up until that time, our experience with hijackers had been they demanded ransom and the plane landed at an airport or got diverted to Cuba, with the hijackers still aboard. No one had ever envisioned suicide hijackings. So by the time Flight 93 was hijacked, those passengers pretty much knew they were doomed. God bless them for taking action and sacrificing their own lives to save an even greater disaster. Anyway, sorry to digress...but as to the question, I guess the only option in most of the current situations would be to play dead.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I would beat the crap out of them with my cane.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
I'm fighting. I didn't survive 2 wars just to get killed at home acting like a sitting duck. I actually have experienced ground combat and as strange as it may sound, you do get used to being shot at.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:00 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Anyway, sorry to digress...but as to the question, I guess the only option in most of the current situations would be to play dead.
Believe it or not, that's usually the worst option you can choose. Running or fighting back are better choices, even if the odds of success are pi$$-poor. You will probably be shot if you try to fight back or flee, but you WILL be shot if you play dead. Terrorist shooters have plenty of ammo, and they want as big a body count as they can achieve; they usually pump a few rounds into motionless bodies lacking obvious wounds just to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates