Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

I finally saw the documentary last night....what struck me as saddest is how badly they wished they had never done it and how much they hated their lives but felt helpless to stop. One of the kids even said he wished they didn't have any drug that could make you feel that good. Most of them said that, that once you felt the sense of happiness and contentment that came from the high, you can't live without it. They said it doesn't take the pain away, rather it makes you feel happy despite it.

I was also struck that 3 of the kids started after accidents, one a dirt bike, one a motorcycle, and the one girl was hit by a drunk driver. One mom said one prescription for Vicadin after her son's accident changed the course of their entire lives.

I was also struck by the couple who were driving to Boston to buy, and lamenting that they couldn't go to Boston just to go out and have fun like other people. I think the documentary gave an excellent sense of why it is so hard to quit. One of the guys was on his 20th rehab stint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times
This really hits home for me, my daughter and her husband are on heroin and we have taken custody of the 2 grand children. It's really sad for the kids, they know something is up with mom and dad and their hearts are broken that they can not be with them. This stuff tears families apart with no end in sight, we have resolved that we'll most likely have the children for now on. They both started using pot, then went to scripts like Oxy, once the state started clamping down on prescription drugs heroin became cheap, so that where they went. I lost count on just how many times she has been through rehab, so now it's just a waiting game, to see if she wants her children more than her heroin.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:36 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
to see if she wants her children more than her heroin.
Please, for the sake of your grandchildren, try your damndest not to view it that way. Viewing addiction as a matter of choice has little to no medical evidence to back it up, so really viewing her addiction in terms of whether "she wants her children more than her heroin" is like expecting someone with schizophrenia to "choose" reality over what their brain is telling them. I'm very close to someone with an opiates addiction so while I don't know what it's like to have a child addicted who is unable to care for her children, I at least understand some of the emotions you're experiencing. But, please, for the sake of your grandchildren's mental well-being, don't think (or at least don't express your feelings) in terms of your daughter "choosing" her addiction over her children.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:34 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Please, for the sake of your grandchildren, try your damndest not to view it that way. Viewing addiction as a matter of choice has little to no medical evidence to back it up, so really viewing her addiction in terms of whether "she wants her children more than her heroin" is like expecting someone with schizophrenia to "choose" reality over what their brain is telling them. I'm very close to someone with an opiates addiction so while I don't know what it's like to have a child addicted who is unable to care for her children, I at least understand some of the emotions you're experiencing. But, please, for the sake of your grandchildren's mental well-being, don't think (or at least don't express your feelings) in terms of your daughter "choosing" her addiction over her children.
Addiction is not always a choice. My father was an executive for many years. At the age of 74 he was diagnosed with a rare cancer that was extremely painful. He always had the mindset that addiction was a weakness. He lost a daughter and son to addiction and I always felt he thought they were weak and could of overcome this addiction. After being in pain and prescribed narcotics he became completely addicted to them and the doctors, even though he was dying, stopped prescribing him as many pills as before. To me this was a tragedy and he did not live much longer after that. Thankfully near the end hospice gave him morphine.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:20 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
First of all, I would never tell my grandchildren, that she wants her heroin more than her children, the kids don't need to know that. The cold hard reality to this is, she has been though rehab a number of times for this addiction and seems to choose heroin soon after rehab, the longest she stayed clean was 3 months. She knows full well that she will not gain custody of the children as long as she is on heroin, now that's her choice, she knows there is treatment for her addiction, but chooses otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates