Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Interesting quote on tolerance from a man who denies the Holocaust and believes the Vatican II Council was a Masonic plot organized by Jews....and on and on.

But it is a test of tolerance, I guess, to tolerant the intolerant speaking out on tolerance.

Complicated lesson of the day.
Not terribly complicated, really. Rather than address the quote itself, you'd rather attack the speaker, who is easier to vilify. Whether one accepts the historical narrative of WWII has no bearing on his ability to evaluate the question of tolerance and its impact on society. Are all of MLK's/JFK's quotes regarding morality meaningless because they were serial adulterers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Not terribly complicated, really. Rather than address the quote itself, you'd rather attack the speaker, who is easier to vilify. Whether one accepts the historical narrative of WWII has no bearing on his ability to evaluate the question of tolerance and its impact on society. Are all of MLK's/JFK's quotes regarding morality meaningless because they were serial adulterers?
You are mixing two things that are very different.

The author in question does deny the Holocaust and apparently has written about the Vatican II Council being a Masonic plot organized by Jews.

MLK and JFK had sex.

Those are not the same situations at all.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are mixing two things that are very different.

The author in question does deny the Holocaust and apparently has written about the Vatican II Council being a Masonic plot organized by Jews.

MLK and JFK had sex.

Those are not the same situations at all.
Actually, it isn't me who's mixing things. Whatever the author's thoughts may be on "the Holocaust" has little to do with his declaration on tolerance. You brought that up, clearly to suggest that his quote can be summarily dismissed simply because he holds some views outside of mainstream thought.

In my example, I think it's fair to question the wisdom offered regarding morality by those who are habitually immoral. That's apples to apples.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Actually, it isn't me who's mixing things. Whatever the author's thoughts may be on "the Holocaust" has little to do with his declaration on tolerance. You brought that up, clearly to suggest that his quote can be summarily dismissed simply because he holds some views outside of mainstream thought.

In my example, I think it's fair to question the wisdom offered regarding morality by those who are habitually immoral. That's apples to apples.
I think it's immoral to claim the Holocaust did not happen.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 AM

593 posts, read 669,139 times
Tolerance now means that you have accept, support, and stand behind all ideas regardless of how crazy you think they are, or you are racist, discriminatory, sexiest, ect. It is means it is wrong to disagree with something and if you voice your opinion you are a bigot. Hopefully this PC nonsense calls down in 2016

Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 1,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin61 View Post
For me, I would have the "lower standard". I don't agree with the transgender lifestyle choice, but I don't go out of my way to be cruel to them. I suppose my definition of tolerance is the "live and let live".
You actually think I, and every other Trans person, woke up one morning and decided " Hey! I'm going to become a member of one of the most hated, the most despised minorities on the planet. Now everyone can hate on me!!" You actually think this is a lifestyle choice?? Sorry to inform you, but this is my LIFE. This is how I was born. This is how I grew up. This is what I grew up to be. I guess I should say thanks for the tolerance--but you need to grow up.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV61 View Post
You actually think I, and every other Trans person, woke up one morning and decided " Hey! I'm going to become a member of one of the most hated, the most despised minorities on the planet. Now everyone can hate on me!!" You actually think this is a lifestyle choice?? Sorry to inform you, but this is my LIFE. This is how I was born. This is how I grew up. This is what I grew up to be. I guess I should say thanks for the tolerance--but you need to grow up.
You need to understand the distinction we're talking about. If a man decides to wake up in the morning and put a dress on, I suspect the vast majority of people couldn't care less. That's tolerance.

When the government steps in and tells me that I can't refuse to hire him because of this, that's no longer just asking me to be tolerant, that's forced acceptance.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,282,820 times
Speaking out against stuff is not tolerating that stuff. By definition. Tolerance for something you don't like is keeping your mouth shut, or your opinion about it to yourself.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
When I was a kid, tolerance meant that you left people alone to live their lives. You might not approve of them or there choices, but it wasn't your business so you didn't get involved. In other words, the essence of "live and let live".

Based on how I hear the word tolerance used now, I get the impression that the word means something different to some people. Where it used to be good enough to mind your own business, there seems to be a trend where tolerance is morphing into acceptance.

I see this in threads about transgenderism quite often. By my definition of "tolerance", I might think that transgenders are weird or abnormal, but so long as I don't harass them or impede their lifestyle in anyway, that is tolerant behavior. On the other hand, many liberals do not believe that is tolerance. They seem to expect more affirmative acceptance rather than the lower standard of simply minding ones own business.

I'm curious to see if the range of views of what constitutes "tolerance" is as wide as I suspect it is.
You may be right....EVERYTHING is more polarized now. It's not enough to have "no opinion" - you must be for it or against it - I think mainly so you can be argued with! Because you have twitter, facebook, blogs, every site has a way to respond with your opinion and people constantly give their views and defend their views. Some things are not important to me and I don't NEED to have an opinion. So, don't pick a fight with me when I don't even have a side! That is arguing for the sake of arguing.

But seriously, some think that you can't merely tolerate something without also accepting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates