Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
there used to be
When? IMo it is much more homogenized now than it ever was. Back in the day there were Jewish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Irish neighborhoods, and they all had their unique culture. I have never heard of a single "white" culture, can you give me some examples of where and when this used to exist, and what are some traits and examples of white culture?

Unless you are thinking more of "redneck" culture?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
Great point, Mr. Obama.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When? IMo it is much more homogenized now than it ever was. Back in the day there were Jewish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Irish neighborhoods, and they all had their unique culture. I have never heard of a single "white" culture, can you give me some examples of where and when this used to exist, and what are some traits and examples of white culture?

Unless you are thinking more of "redneck" culture?

There isn't a single white American culture, it varies depending on region.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Furthermore, I absolutely reject assimilationism. Assimilationism leads to rootlessness. I am in favor of stronger, tribal-based identities. I don't want to see Chinese, Native Americans, etc., lose their identities in favor of the vacuous American identity.
I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Assimilation has been the backbone of human society and culture. You have a very short-sighted view going back just a few decades or centuries. All these cultures, including Chinese and Native American, were also built on the assimilation of various tribes and ethnic groups.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:23 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Assimilation has been the backbone of human society and culture. You have a very short-sighted view going back just a few decades or centuries. All these cultures, including Chinese and Native American, were also built on the assimilation of various tribes and ethnic groups.
Just to be honest about it, "going back...a few...centuries" provides pretty good data, particularly when the world has changed so much that going back further is probably irrelevant.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
Because people like to whine about stupid ****. That's why it's controversial.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
I'm waiting for a football fan dating site. Nothing like a woman who likes football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates