Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see why that would even be needed. The vast majority of people on any regular dating site are white Christians. Why do we need our own dedicated site? IMO blacks and Jews are very much a minority on most generalized sites, and because of that they actually have a need for a specialized site if they want a partner of their own persuasion, whites and Christians don't.

Anyone can join the regular dating sites, no reason for minorities not to. I suppose any of the specialized sites just emphasize that they are looking to date within that group, even though they could specify that requirement within generalized dating sites. In our PC culture it probably makes people more comfortable not having to personally specify in their profile they are seeking their own race only, since the site itself already does that.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM

185 posts, read 242,114 times
The need for this isn't genuine, this reminds me of the whole "White Student Union" thing that popped up a while back. The idea behind a dating site like this comes from either a really stupid or really ignorant place.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
The need for this isn't genuine, this reminds me of the whole "White Student Union" thing that popped up a while back. The idea behind a dating site like this comes from either a really stupid or really ignorant place.

Why is there a "need" for any race-specific dating site? Surely search parameters on any mainstream site would be sufficient, no?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
It might not be an ethnicity, but when you fill out state/federal documents its what is used. I remember applying for my marriage license 5 years ago and putting down Caucasian only to have the lady behind the desk cross it out and write white. I was a little offended. I wonder what her response would have been if she wrote African American and I crossed it out and wrote black.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Why is there a "need" for any race-specific dating site? Surely search parameters on any mainstream site would be sufficient, no?
As a minority male who trolls around on these dating sites from time to time I can confirm that there is a need if you're specifically looking for a member of your own "race" or ethnic background to be with. Maybe less of a need, but more of a niche market.These sites are overwhelmingly white and as other have mentioned it shouldn't be a problem for white people to meet other white people since they constitute the vast majority of users already. So the idea behind this is stupid and also not very practical, it's more of a statement than anything else or it could be just genuinely really, really stupid.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
As a minority male who trolls around on these dating sites from time to time I can confirm that there is a need if you're specifically looking for a member of your own "race" or ethnic background to be with. Maybe less of a need, but more of a niche market.These sites are overwhelmingly white and as other have mentioned it shouldn't be a problem for white people to meet other white people since they constitute the vast majority of users already. So the idea behind this is stupid and also not very practical, it's more of a statement than anything else or it could be just genuinely really, really stupid.
Do you have the same issue with Christian Mingle? Admittedly, not "race-based", but why is there a "need" since the overwhelming majority of the US population is Christian (which is probably reflected overall in online dating demographics)?

Certainly Christians should have no problems meeting each other without having a specific forum for it, right?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Do you have the same issue with Christian Mingle? Admittedly, not "race-based", but why is there a "need" since the overwhelming majority of the US population is Christian (which is probably reflected overall in online dating demographics)?

Certainly Christians should have no problems meeting each other without having a specific forum for it, right?
That's faith based on not "race" specific so no and in certain areas of the country Christians might actually have a difficult time finding each other out there so there's a market for it. It makes much more sense to me than an all white dating site, at least in the current on line dating environment.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's faith based on not "race" specific so no and in certain areas of the country Christians might actually have a difficult time finding each other out there so there's a market for it. It makes much more sense to me than an all white dating site, at least in the current on line dating environment.

Where specifically in the US would Christians have trouble finding each other? There is a market for it, because people are looking for specific things in the people that they are dating. Like it or not, those preferences can be (and often are) race-based.

Listen, it's not something that I would subscribe to, but for some to be so negative about it when the same backlash is certainly not seen for the other race-based or "whatever"-based sites? It seems mighty hypocritical to me.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Where specifically in the US would Christians have trouble finding each other? There is a market for it, because people are looking for specific things in the people that they are dating. Like it or not, those preferences can be (and often are) race-based.

Listen, it's not something that I would subscribe to, but for some to be so negative about it when the same backlash is certainly not seen for the other race-based or "whatever"-based sites? It seems mighty hypocritical to me.
It might be difficult for a Christian who is serious about their faith to find someone else with the same values in a place like LA or NY or the PNW. I live in the bible belt so it's a given down here that most people are probably down with the J-man in some capacity but it's not that easy in other parts of the country. The reason it's gotten the backlash is because since there's no real need for it in the first place it makes you question what the real motivation behind making a site like that is. Like I said before the idea behind this is coming from either a really ignorant or really stupid place.

I'm all for it existing by the way, I just question the creator's intentions. The only bad thing is that the users could meet and end up reproducing, people attracted to a site like that probably aren't the brightest thinkers.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,503 times
I don't feel it's needed but it's definitely not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.