Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM

633 posts, read 640,127 times

Advertisements

The answer to this one is obvious.

The jewish population of the country is about 2%.
The black population is about 12%.

If you are in one of these ethnic/cultural groups and not smack in the middle of a huge metro area it can be VERY difficult to find someone who shares your background to date. This is important because Jews have a lot of cultural traditions that can be confusing or obscure to non jews that don't observe, and black women have the lowest response rates out of any ethnic group in the country- a site that caters to people actively LOOKING for them and celebrating them is a change of pace.

"white people" don't have this problem. They're 67% of the country, give or take. There's no real barrier to finding other white people, especially not online. When you advertise a dating website as being "white people only", it's not making it easier for white people to congregate and find each other, it's simply being exclusionary to anyone else.

This is a problem. Is it racist? that's a tough call. Like the old fox news joke, it may not be racist, but it's probably #1 WITH racists. It's best not to encourage that kind of behavior if you can help it.

If "white people" are really looking to connect with someone who shares their values, concentrating on something other than skin color as the qualifier might make this look a little less inflammatory. "white pride" tends to raise eyebrows, but there are irish pride, Italian pride, Ukranian pride, and greek pride events all over my area (Philadelphia) and literally no one cares, because the emphasis is on similar cultural touchstones here and not skin color.

my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Do you have the same issue with Christian Mingle? Admittedly, not "race-based", but why is there a "need" since the overwhelming majority of the US population is Christian (which is probably reflected overall in online dating demographics)?

Certainly Christians should have no problems meeting each other without having a specific forum for it, right?
I'm actually sympathetic to Christian Mingle. There are a lot of people in the country that claim to be Christian, but might set foot in church once a year at Christmas. Might claim the bible as their favorite book but have never actually read it.

Christian Mingle APPEARS (I don't hang out there, not a Christian, already married) to cater not just to people who have the label by default, but specifically those that subscribe to the evangelical lifestyle and make it a centerpiece of their lives. It may be difficult to parse these people out from everyone else who checks the "Christian" box on match.com, and a site like that is going to have everyone on the same page re: dating expectations, sex before marriage, common values, etc etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 PM

725 posts, read 805,056 times
If having a dating site for blacks, Jews (yes it is an ethnic group), Asians or Indians is not racist then having one for whites isn't either. It is only racist to hypocrites who are anti white and don't believe whites are entitled to the same treatment as other groups. We see this hypocrisy play out in everything. If 100 million whites invaded China no one would fault the Chinese for being pissed but when 100 million non white Mexicans invade the US it is racist for whites to want to protect their own country. When a black business owner hires only blacks people say it is wonderful. Same thing when someone says he is proud to be black. But when a white business owner hires only whites or says he is proud to be white he is called evil.

Wanting to date your own people, wanting to hang out with your own people and wanting to have babies that look like you is not racist. If it is racist then every race is racist but whites not enough so.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM

725 posts, read 805,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
White is a race just like black or Asian is a race. If blacks are praised for saying they are proud to be black then it is racist to criticize whites for saying they are proud to be white.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
This . I would recommend your post a hundred times over if I could.

Cultural compatibility is the key to success in a marriage - in that context, it makes perfect sense for Jews to want Jews-only dating sites (same goes for any other religious group or sub-group). Religious beliefs strongly influence culture. But "white" is not a culture. A white person from Utah, a white Brit, a white Pole, a white South African and a white Kazakh would have five different, unique cultural backgrounds. Cultural compatibility is influenced by where the two partners are raised, not what their races are. Therefore, I think white-only and black-only dating sites are racist and ignorant.

The closest match for a white American is another American (of any race). A European would not be a good fit here. In general.
The closest match for a black American is another American (of any race). An African would not be a good fit here. In general.

I strongly recommend that white Americans make a trip to Europe sometime, and black Americans a trip to Africa, and see how culturally unfamiliar these places will be. Skin colour is a pointless guide to compatibility.

As for Chinese-only and Indian-only dating sites, they cater to first-generation immigrants and a few second-generation immigrants who have been the victims of helicopter parenting. You will never find third-generation immigrants on such websites. Why would a Chinese-American have anything in common with a person from China?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:53 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
There are Christian dating sites, just like Jewish ones. Those are both religions.

Is there a black-only dating site? I'm unaware of any. There are probably some that are joined mainly by black people, but I've never heard of any that are restricted by the site itself.

A dating site restricting races is unnecessary, since the people on the site choose who they want to date, anyway, and members are asked to identify their race and/or ethnicity. If a member wants to date only of his/her race, that's what he chooses. That way, the dating site makes more money, which is why it exists in the first place.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
WHy can't white people ever be allowed to be their own ethnicity?

There's always an excuse...
"White" is not an ethnicity. Hispanic, Italian, etc. - those are ethnicities.

Look up in dictionary:
race
ethnicity
religion

Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It might not be an ethnicity, but when you fill out state/federal documents its what is used. I remember applying for my marriage license 5 years ago and putting down Caucasian only to have the lady behind the desk cross it out and write white. I was a little offended. I wonder what her response would have been if she wrote African American and I crossed it out and wrote black.
No, it's not. What govt documents request is "RACE," (white, black, asian) and/or "ETHNICITY" (Native American, hispanic, etc.)

It's a legal, not just a science, thing, I think.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Perhaps because Judaism is not a race?

He said "Jews". Not Judaism. Jews belong to Caucasoid race. You have Europoid, Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid races.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. Hispanic, Italian, etc. - those are ethnicities.

Look up in dictionary:
race
ethnicity
religion
White has multiple meanings. One of those refers to the historical group of people that share a common ancestry, culture, religion, and history.

The same applies to blacks.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Is there a black-only dating site? I'm unaware of any. There are probably some that are joined mainly by black people, but I've never heard of any that are restricted by the site itself.
BlackPeopleMeet.com - Black Dating Network for Black Singles is a pretty big one, according to google there are a lot of them.

blackcupid, blacksingles, soulsingles, and many more

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates