Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Because those things are minorities

being white and protestant is the majority

we don't need special sites

everything is designed for us, by default

A dating site which is open to everyone is not just designed for white protestants. Those dating sites want as many participants as possible, any race, age, gender.

Further, why should being a majority prohibit certain actions, such as if the majority of people are parents, can there not be a parents' club? How about if majority of population is boomers or millennials, can there not be clubs for them? The internet is majority millennials now but you should not be criticized for having specific websites.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 AM

406 posts, read 288,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its part of our whole cultural stupidity. "Only whites can be racist". For example, on a college campus, you can start a Black club, Asian club, Japanese club, Gay club, Women's club etc. But start a "Male white only club", you're obviously a racist full of hate who should be thrown out of school.
Lmao yea whites should be able to create an exclusive space for themselves, in response to the spaces created for underrepresented and marginalized groups. Let's continue doing mental cartwheels until time lapses back to the early 1900s

Old 01-08-2016, 11:16 AM

25 posts, read 23,057 times
Dating is a terrible concept. I find it amazing that people all over the place are returning to the match maker only this time it is a computer.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
Yup. "Whites only" has a certain connotation, OP, and a very negative history. Think about it.
Sometimes I wonder if the people who ask questions like this are too young to remember what "Whites only" was about. Don't they teach this stuff in school? I wonder what goes on in American history classes in highschool.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. "Whites only" has a certain connotation, OP, and a very negative history. Think about it.
Sometimes I wonder if the people who ask questions like this are too young to remember what "Whites only" was about. Don't they teach this stuff in school? I wonder what goes on in American history classes in highschool.

I'm aware of the "whites only" history. Your point is what, exactly? That white people must forever be yoked under the weight of collective guilt for the failings of our forefathers? That white people cannot do anything as white people, cannot simply express a desire to enter into an intimate relationship with someone who looks like ourselves, without being accused of racism?

Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm aware of the "whites only" history. Your point is what, exactly? That white people must forever be yoked under the weight of collective guilt for the failings of our forefathers? That white people cannot do anything as white people, cannot simply express a desire to enter into an intimate relationship with someone who looks like ourselves, without being accused of racism?
Well, if one is going to express "White pride", then to be intellectually honest, I guess you ought to take responsibility for the role of Whites in the racial history of America.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, if one is going to express "White pride", then to be intellectually honest, I guess you ought to take responsibility for the role of Whites in the racial history of America.

Then every group best look at their own history and pay for all the bad things that group ever did.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:30 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Fair point. But do I also get to take credit for the various achievements of white people down through the ages? Because, on balance, I would say that white people have been a net positive in world history. And that's even while including slavery and Nazi Germany into the mix.

To be honest, though, I neither take credit for white achievements nor take blame for white failings. I am but one person, and am responsible only for the achievements and failings of myself. I can feel pride in the great things that ALL types of people have done, and feel revulsion at the bad things that they've done, because I share with them a common humanity. But I myself had nothing to do with it, thus I take neither credit nor blame for what others have done.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:17 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

If there are sites that caters to people who want to find other Jewish people, Christian people, black people, hispanic people, farmers, those over 50, and God knows how many others, why not for white people?
Likely for the same reason you can't have a Miss White America Beauty Pageant .

Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM

633 posts, read 640,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Fair point. But do I also get to take credit for the various achievements of white people down through the ages? Because, on balance, I would say that white people have been a net positive in world history.
Native Americans might not agree with you...you'd have to find one first to ask him though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.