Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then every group best look at their own history and pay for all the bad things that group ever did.
Actually, yes, rather than just be proud of all the good things. Have a balanced view of your own culture. See the good and the bad. See where your culture has advanced mankind, and where it has caused mankind to step backwards.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM

406 posts, read 288,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm aware of the "whites only" history. Your point is what, exactly? That white people must forever be yoked under the weight of collective guilt for the failings of our forefathers? That white people cannot do anything as white people, cannot simply express a desire to enter into an intimate relationship with someone who looks like ourselves, without being accused of racism?
Quote:
To be honest, though, I neither take credit for white achievements nor take blame for white failings. I am but one person, and am responsible only for the achievements and failings of myself. I can feel pride in the great things that ALL types of people have done, and feel revulsion at the bad things that they've done, because I share with them a common humanity. But I myself had nothing to do with it, thus I take neither credit nor blame for what others have done.
The issue isn't squarely intra-relationship desires and tendencies among whites, but rather the need to create a space exclusively for whites. That itself has a racist connotation through a historical and social context.

It's not necessarily about whether or not you are culpable as an individual, but rather acknowledge that you are the beneficiary of that history and of racism. Much in the same way, an African American today did not protest in the 1950s, nor was enslaved in the 1800's, but they are still the legacy of that history.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Fair point. But do I also get to take credit for the various achievements of white people down through the ages? Because, on balance, I would say that white people have been a net positive in world history. And that's even while including slavery and Nazi Germany into the mix.

To be honest, though, I neither take credit for white achievements nor take blame for white failings. I am but one person, and am responsible only for the achievements and failings of myself. I can feel pride in the great things that ALL types of people have done, and feel revulsion at the bad things that they've done, because I share with them a common humanity. But I myself had nothing to do with it, thus I take neither credit nor blame for what others have done.
Keep in mind that I am speaking only of those people who claim "White pride" or any other ethnic pride. I'm just saying be balanced.

I'm Irish, but my family -- even as far back as my grandparents who were born in the 1880s -- didn't think much about being Irish. They seemed to be happy to be Americans.

But over the years, particularly on St. Patrick's Day, I've had more than one Irish friend who has talked about being proud to be of Irish ancestry. And without exception, when I've asked them to tell me specifically why, not one has ever come up with even one answer. In fact, most of them couldn't even point to Ireland on an unlabeled map. Now I'm saying there aren't reasons to be proud of one's Irish ancestry, but I'm saying that most of the people who take some sort of ethnic pride to any sort of extreme, know little if anything about what they're talking above. Some do; most don't.

It's like the time in my school when our test scores dropped a bit and the school got some criticism in the community, and the faculty was in a dither. In a faculty meeting, several teachers pointed out the superb award-winning teaching of "Veronica" and "Betty", and I asked why they were pointing out other teachers, while they claimed no excellence in their own teaching.

Or the time an African-American refused to write an essay on "The President I most respect". And she said, "I don't honor white Presidents. I honor the kings and queens of Africa". So I said, "Okay. Write your essay about 'The king or queen of Africa' that you most respect." She didn't know any. So I said, "Okay, write about the country of Africa you most identify with". She didn't know any.

I do not understand taking pride in something that "you" had nothing to do with, other than that 2 people from that "group" once had sex.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
I'm aware of the "whites only" history. Your point is what, exactly? That white people must forever be yoked under the weight of collective guilt for the failings of our forefathers? That white people cannot do anything as white people, cannot simply express a desire to enter into an intimate relationship with someone who looks like ourselves, without being accused of racism?
Do you really need a dating website dedicated to white people to achieve that? Just use your eyes.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:26 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But over the years, particularly on St. Patrick's Day, I've had more than one Irish friend who has talked about being proud to be of Irish ancestry. And without exception, when I've asked them to tell me specifically why, not one has ever come up with even one answer. In fact, most of them couldn't even point to Ireland on an unlabeled map. Now I'm saying there aren't reasons to be proud of one's Irish ancestry, but I'm saying that most of the people who take some sort of ethnic pride to any sort of extreme, know little if anything about what they're talking above. Some do; most don't.

Or the time an African-American refused to write an essay on "The President I most respect". And she said, "I don't honor white Presidents. I honor the kings and queens of Africa". So I said, "Okay. Write your essay about 'The king or queen of Africa' that you most respect." She didn't know any. So I said, "Okay, write about the country of Africa you most identify with". She didn't know any.

I do not understand taking pride in something that "you" had nothing to do with, other than that 2 people from that "group" once had sex.
Exactly. Many folks are unable to differentiate between culture and ancestry. The discussion gets muddled even further when they refer to the actions of modern Asian immigrants (who are unabashedly among the most xenophobic when it comes to their dating preferences) as an excuse. This neglects the fact that the vast majority of first-generation immigrants just happen to be Asian at this point in time and that is why ethnicity-specific dating websites are also dominated by them. Once you get to the third generation, those of Asian ancestry are no more xenophobic than anyone else.

I would not think twice about a first-generation Irish, Polish or German immigrant creating an Irish-only, Polish-only, or German-only dating group. But it's definitely weird when white Americans (or Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders) do it because there's just no reason to create one based on race. "Canadian-only" would make far more sense.

As for physical attraction, sure, I get that some people are only attracted to white people. There are white people only attracted to white people, black people only attracted to white people, and so on. So that still doesn't explain why there needs to be a group catering to only the first group. A plain vanilla dating website where you can pick the race you prefer does the job just as well.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
As for physical attraction, sure, I get that some people are only attracted to white people. There are white people only attracted to white people, black people only attracted to white people, and so on. So that still doesn't explain why there needs to be a group catering to only the first group. A plain vanilla dating website where you can pick the race you prefer does the job just as well.
I'm wondering though why a "plain vanilla dating site" wouldn't work for anyone, of any race.

The demographics are what they are, right?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
No such thing as "white culture".

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
No such thing as "white culture".

If someone grows up in a vast majority white area in the US, they have NO culture? Then why do some comedians have so much fun mocking certain aspects of white culture if it doesn't exist?

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If someone grows up in a vast majority white area in the US, they have NO culture? Then why do some comedians have so much fun mocking certain aspects of white culture if it doesn't exist?

What some call white culture is nothing more than mainstream American culture in the USA there are plenty of people that aren't white that share mainstream American culture and don't belong to a sub-culture. Comedians sometimes rely heavily on stereotypes.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Fair point. But do I also get to take credit for the various achievements of white people down through the ages? Because, on balance, I would say that white people have been a net positive in world history. And that's even while including slavery and Nazi Germany into the mix.
Most of Africa, and a good part of Latin America and Australia would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates