Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists.
Perhaps because Judaism is not a race?

Quote:
The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
I'm personally more offended at the new commercials for Farmersonly.com that portray city girls as superficial ditzes-- but yes, I get your point.

If there are sites that caters to people who want to find other Jewish people, Christian people, black people, hispanic people, farmers, those over 50, and God knows how many others, why not for white people?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
I do not know anyone who thinks running the site is racist, just stupid. Lets be real, ALL dating websites are white dating websites in practice, as most are in the super majority white. Why waste time with one that is exclusively white unless you are seeking to avoid people of any other skin color? You will have no trouble finding white men and women on major datings sites. The issue for minorities is that most sites are mostly white, so its harder and takes more time to find partners of the same race. Its fine to want a parter of the same race as you, but why go to a site with only your race unless its really hard to find your race on another type of site? If its just about making things easier because the sites you normally use are mostly minority adds, sounds like a logical step to me.

No one I know thinks it is racist to run the site, just stupid. If you are white and can't find a white partner at match or one of the other sites, you are lying. Of course, I suspect most who woul duse this product are racists, but it does not have to be a racist site. It is clearly racist if your goal is only to use a business which excludes another race, rather than just have an easier time finding someone in you rrace to date.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:39 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I don't see why that would even be needed. The vast majority of people on any regular dating site are white Christians. Why do we need our own dedicated site? IMO blacks and Jews are very much a minority on most generalized sites, and because of that they actually have a need for a specialized site if they want a partner of their own persuasion, whites and Christians don't.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The owner said anyone can use it. I think it's just a business decision as far as the name goes.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:14 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
I guess we're not as superior as all that, if we can't even have our own dating site without having to fend off charges of racism.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
Quote:
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

WHy can't white people ever be allowed to be their own ethnicity?

There's always an excuse...

Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:

Be careful there. One could just as easily say that "the concept/history of <pick a color -ness> is for the most part one of poverty, underachievement, crime and dependency".

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
WHy can't white people ever be allowed to be their own ethnicity?

There's always an excuse...
I think its because when there are no other minorities present, groups that all called white begin to separate. Irish and Italians in the northeast have a long history of racism against each other. The same is true for greeks and Italians and those from Spain and/or Prtugal and the rest of Europe. Of course everyone in the UK has at some point thought another part of the UK was far inferior to its own (Welsch, Irish , Scottish ...). Race is largely based on social reactions and not biology.

That said, everyone is entitled to their own ethnicity. Celebrate it, enjoy it. As long as you are not forcing me to follow your ethnic social standards and let me do whatever I want, I am fine with you doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates