Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times

Advertisements

in England being homeless means you haven't got a postal address, so no mail, no job offers, no benefit payments-they did away with "no fixed abode" payments years ago.
when I lived in Glastonbury, Somerset(UK) I knew a lot of the homeless in the area, some lived in caravans(trailers), some lived in campers and horse boxes, but a lot lived where they could, I even found one guy sleeping in a rubbish cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
I have been homeless.
Those in RVs are NOT homeless, they are simply misplaced.

I had: no address, No PO Box, No money, No definite place to lay my head at night,No job {couldn't work really-for medical reasons}, no way to get job, as they don't really hire homeless people. and only what I could carry in a backpack I carried on my back, and just the clothes on my back.
I COULD on occasion, stay and sleep on friend's couches, and get a fresh shower, do laundry, or TRY to get into a homeless shelter. Otherwise there was a bridge I used to sleep under, for real. No one else "shared" my bridge, and rarely id people who WEREN'T homeless bother, I was fortunate enough to have enough clothing and a heavy jacket for the colder weather, simply wear MOST of what you own for warmth. My backpack was my pillow.

I was at a low point in my life, and my parents and sibling would not help, since I had/kept applying for Welfare {How DARE I resort to Welfare!}. I was medically unstable at the time.

THAT is MY definition of "homeless".

When I applied for Welfare, I was turned down 4 times. The fifth time I finally got Expedited Benefits BECAUSE I stressed I WAS homeless. They like and address, even if under a bridge, so I asked a friend if I could get mail at their home. I finally had an address, and my friend was gracious then to allow me to "more permanently" stay on their couch. I had to fork over 75% of my cash benefits for "rent" {a rip off since I took up only the couch-and their LL said they had to pay extra for me staying their, but the money I gave them WASN'T going to the LL-he knew I was paying as I privately told him I was, but he became pissed and evicted them [and me]}, and had to bring in the food pantry would give me. The food was reasonable, but "my" food was feeding three people, as they wouldn't buy any til my 2 pantry allotments or the once a month Catholic Charities distribution was gone, or any supplement what I Received. Oh, and I had to fork over ALL my food stamps. Now I wasn't so "homeless" anymore. I had a known place to lay my head. They were also surviving on Welfare and child support for a child who did not live with them. They mostly spent "my money" on beer for themselves.

When they moved, I went to their old LL to ask if I could rent the drafty small "cottage" they HAD been renting, because staying with them was such a rip off. He felt sorry for me, and allowed it. AND finally, I was "HOMED" again. Lets just say they were a bit "dismayed" I moved out, as I was their "cash cow". They are no longer my "friends".ANd the ONLY "good" to come of was in fact I met my now spouse through them, and they did my spouse "wrong" by using MOH for rides without paying even for gas, and in a few other ways I won;t go into here. SO we DON'T/HAVEN'T mentioned their names anymore, it brings bad luck and have ignored their phone calls.

That Is how I WAS homeless, and how I became "homed" again,

Living in an RV would have been a LUXURY to me!!!!! and RV can be SOLD to rent a place. I am sure they were NOT cheapo pop-up tent type RVs!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:40 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
There have been times when my house/apt key physically broke or got misplaced and I got locked out. I would often half-joking say I was homeless for a night.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
There have been times when my house/apt key physically broke or got misplaced and I got locked out. I would often half-joking say I was homeless for a night.
try it for real, its no joke.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Was watching this series of videos on the LA Times website just a few moments ago...Several people living in cardboard boxes, in the woods, etc...But several people living in an RV, or in a large vehicle, where basically everything they need is pretty much there.

So, it got me thinking...What does it really mean to be homeless? The literal definition is one thing, but living in a well outfitted motor home or a camper shelter doesn't seem like the end of the world. Granted, I've always had 4 walls around me and a roof. But I've lived in apartments in college that weren't a huge step up from an RV. Running water and HVAC being the only real difference. And those things can be retro-fitted to a mobile set up to give a pretty comfortably existence.

To me, no true address, no property tax bills, no utilities, etc, seems like the only differentiator. In a place like Los Angeles, or even little old Birmingham, having most of the creature comforts available to you, homelessness doesn't equal hopelessness. Keep yourself clean, keep yourself employed or even employable, and you aren't much different than the guy paying $3,000 a month for rent or mortgage. And you could even argue that you are better off.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. It's just an interesting topic and I hope a decent, non-political discussion can be had from this. Cheers to you on Wednesday!
Funny you should ask. I am one of those "Van Dwellers" and laugh at the term "Homeless" but, by the legal definition, I AM such, but I'd never admit it as my home goes where I go.

I work 28-40 hours a week. I have medical insurance (It's actually a silver plan with Kaiser) $27 a month, $37 a month for showers, wifi and workouts....Propane for heat in winter and cooking, just cooking when in spring summer.

No rent to pay, careful money management means I'll have some nice savings when I retire (If I make it there)

Postal adress foir mail $75 a year...Oh and vehicle insurance $400 a year....

If I break it down....For a month

Food is $140
Gas is $100
Propane is $10
Insurance $38
showers $37
Postal $6
misc $65

So about $400 a month and I make about $1,250-$1,500 a month....

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Read a book...

Robot Check

Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You must answer "YES" to the following three conditions:

1] You are available to move into housing; and
2] You want to move into housing; and
3] You have made an attempt in the last week to obtain housing.

If you cannot answer "YES" to all three, then you're simply a run-of-the-mill Street Person, not worthy of any consideration.

Now don't you have to define housing?

Old 02-04-2016, 05:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Funny you should ask. I am one of those "Van Dwellers" and laugh at the term "Homeless" but, by the legal definition, I AM such, but I'd never admit it as my home goes where I go.

I work 28-40 hours a week. I have medical insurance (It's actually a silver plan with Kaiser) $27 a month, $37 a month for showers, wifi and workouts....Propane for heat in winter and cooking, just cooking when in spring summer.

No rent to pay, careful money management means I'll have some nice savings when I retire (If I make it there)

Postal adress foir mail $75 a year...Oh and vehicle insurance $400 a year....

If I break it down....For a month

Food is $140
Gas is $100
Propane is $10
Insurance $38
showers $37
Postal $6
misc $65

So about $400 a month and I make about $1,250-$1,500 a month....

If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 PM

983 posts, read 995,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
In that case, what are the people living in RV's selling heroin, or the customers spending $1000+/mo buying heroin while living in an RV, car or tent?

Sure, technically they are homeless. They aren't buying food or clothing either because they can't or because food and clothing are free if you're homeless.

The primary, basic necessity of life in this case is heroin, maybe some meth, they can and do afford that. Homes, food and clothes are secondary priorities.
People who sell heroin and or meth out of their RVs are knuckleheads, there I just made another category.
I've been hearing about that issue on the radio shows. That's terrible what Magnolia, Ballard, and Queen Anne have turned into.

But the retirees who are driving $100,000 rigs? If they have no sticks and bricks homes, and they use a mail forwarding service, are they homeless?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,774 times
According to the Coalition for the homeless, most don't survive very far into their forties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates