Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 03:29 AM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times

Advertisements

I don't see much difference between the 2 as far as lessening the number of inmates, as job security is at stake here. Try to imagine a group of correctional officers at the a state capital, with placards such as Legalize All Drugs, Reduce the Sentences of Sex Offenders, Do Away With Death Row, 3rd Time DUI's Don't Belong In Prison.

I work in a Nursing Home, similar to prisons, and just bring up the subject of Physician-Assisted Suicide sometime in one of these facilities, and what will you see? The staff all looking like they just saw the ghost of Osama Bin Laden!

Sheesh! Ever heard of the term Legal 2000? In a nursing home today, if you so much as say: I want to die, I wish I could die, I, as a nursing assistant, am obligated to report this to the supervisor, and from there, they can elect to transfer this patient to a Psych Ward, to pound some sense into this elderly 80-90YO "inmate".

The big and only concern at the facility I work at is: What's the headcount? For if it falls below 88, someone gets called off! Is it any different in prisons?

Wherever there's job security, and some extremely conservative workers (health care workers are the most conservative of all!) there's no incentive to lessen the number of inmates.

We all know about the forced, intraveneous feedings that go on in both facilities. Yes, even in prison, when an inmate wishes to die!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-18-2016 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 AM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't see much difference between the 2 as far as lessening the number of inmates, as job security is at stake here. Try to imagine a group of correctional officers at the a state capital, with placards such as Legalize All Drugs, Reduce the Sentences of Sex Offenders, Do Away With Death Row, 3rd Time DUI's Don't Belong In Prison.

I work in a Nursing Home, similar to prisons, and just bring up the subject of Physician-Assisted Suicide sometime in one of these facilities, and what will you see? The staff all looking like they just saw the ghost of Osama Bin Laden!

Sheesh! Ever heard of the term Legal 2000? In a nursing home today, if you so much as say: I want to die, I wish I could die, I, as a nursing assistant, am obligated to report this to the supervisor, and from there, they can elect to transfer this patient to a Psych Ward, to pound some sense into this elderly 80-90YO "inmate".

The big and only concern at the facility I work at is: What's the headcount? For if it falls below 88, someone gets called off! Is it any different in prisons?

Wherever there's job security, and some extremely conservative workers (health care workers are the most conservative of all!) there's no incentive to lessen the number of inmates.

We all know about the forced, intraveneous feedings that go on in both facilities. Yes, even in prison, when an inmate wishes to die!
I'm sorry, I've been working in nursing homes for 18 years, and that is simply NOT true. I don't know anyone who works in nursing homes who would rather see patients suffer than reduce the census by one, that is patently ridiculous. Yes, we must report suicide threats, just as you would if you worked in a school, hospital, or anywhere else. They may xfer them but I have never seen that. What I see is they get the person a psych CONSULT, in the home. I have only seen people actually sent to a pysch ward if they are violent.

YES, a high census is important to the higher ups, however if you work at a non-profit and the census drops you may still be sent home.... but to imply people are on feeding tubes and kept alive just to keep the census high, that to me is totally baseless and insulting.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,876,928 times
I worked as a corrections officer (PC for prison guard) for ten years. My State's system was ran by the state not a Private system. I did have a lot of contact with officers that worked in other states under both Private and Public systems over the years. Both types of systems have problems in common from the POV of inmates and employees.

The biggest factor in either Privately or Publicly ran institutions IMHO is corruption. Consider this: In a Maximum Security institution that is properly administered WHY would Drug Use even be a problem? Corruption somewhere in the system allows this to be a problem. Corruption in a system is like a barrel of Apples; It only takes one. . . . Respect is the common denominator in a system that is ran properly. Administrators must have respect for their employee and the inmates their employees supervise. The people that work directly with inmates MUST be fair and respectful in how they handle their duties. Inmates that are treated equally and fairly usually realize and respect that. Corruption changes that balance.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,955,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I worked as a corrections officer (PC for prison guard) for ten years. My State's system was ran by the state not a Private system. I did have a lot of contact with officers that worked in other states under both Private and Public systems over the years. Both types of systems have problems in common from the POV of inmates and employees.

The biggest factor in either Privately or Publicly ran institutions IMHO is corruption. Consider this: In a Maximum Security institution that is properly administered WHY would Drug Use even be a problem? Corruption somewhere in the system allows this to be a problem. Corruption in a system is like a barrel of Apples; It only takes one. . . . Respect is the common denominator in a system that is ran properly. Administrators must have respect for their employee and the inmates their employees supervise. The people that work directly with inmates MUST be fair and respectful in how they handle their duties. Inmates that are treated equally and fairly usually realize and respect that. Corruption changes that balance.
Good point. It's sad but I've known people who have gone to jail and came out with a drug problem.

That right there says everything-the massive increase in prison spending and mass incarceration is not working-at all.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:53 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be due to corruption.

Mistakes can allow it.. Prisons pretty much have to allow visitation.. That's one way drugs can get in.. We're hearing about drones dropping packages on the yard now..

I would agree with you that I think MOST of the drugs and other contraband (phones) that get into prisons are brought in by the COs, though.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 PM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be due to corruption.

Mistakes can allow it.. Prisons pretty much have to allow visitation.. That's one way drugs can get in.. We're hearing about drones dropping packages on the yard now..

I would agree with you that I think MOST of the drugs and other contraband (phones) that get into prisons are brought in by the COs, though.
I visited someone in the Henrico County (Virginia) jail weekly over a 3 month period, and I can't see how drugs would get in there by visitors. There was no physical contact between prisoners and visitors. Bullet proof glass and talking through a phone.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,955,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I visited someone in the Henrico County (Virginia) jail weekly over a 3 month period, and I can't see how drugs would get in there by visitors. There was no physical contact between prisoners and visitors. Bullet proof glass and talking through a phone.
Mostly corrupt prison guards. It's amazing the amount of drugs that are in prisons.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,878 times
Having a for profit prison is one of the most laughable business models I've ever seen.

A prison is essentially a large building that holds 100s of people providing them with at the very least shelter, food and medical, some even have luxury amenities like television.

There is NO WAY to make money on that model.

We treat our criminals better than the homeless.

If we could turn a profit by housing hundreds of people in one place we wouldn't have a massive homeless population.

The prison system is an absolute joke in this country.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,900,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Having a for profit prison is one of the most laughable business models I've ever seen.

A prison is essentially a large building that holds 100s of people providing them with at the very least shelter, food and medical, some even have luxury amenities like television.

We treat our criminals better than the homeless.

If we could turn a profit by housing hundreds of people in one place we wouldn't have a massive homeless population.

The prison system is an absolute joke in this country.
Well, prisons can make profit by using forced labor. But my point is that they should not force labor on people who are forced to be there. Otherwise, how is it different than GULAG?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:12 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,252,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
There is no way for a government to make a profit. There definitely are ways for private corporations to make a profit by taking money from the government.

Say it's a high-cost of living part of a state, and it costs the government $100/day to house each prisoner.

Say the local prison is overcrowded and lawsuits are being filed for inhumane treatment. Local voters refuse a tax increase to make the current prison larger, which is overcrowded.

Private corporation steps in and offers to save the government the cost of building a prison by housing each prisoner for $90/day. Corporation saves money by cheaping out on construction, building the prison in a low-cost rural part of the state, uses low-pay staff(1), and makes deals with judges and DAs ("campaign contributions", "tough on crime!") to keep the cells full. Corporation manages to cut costs to the point where they are actually spending $80/prisoner/day. That's a profit of $5,000/day for a 500-bed prison.

Note (1): Want to know how drugs get into prison? A guard making $12/hour wants a new bass boat. He can clear much much more than his base pay if he helps ferry drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates