Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

50 years? It won't be around in another ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 AM

12 posts, read 6,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I was just thinking, which is a dangerous thing I know, If Facebook is still around and running strong in 50 years or so it would really be a game changer for sociologists, economists, researchers of all fields. If you think about it there has been no other time in human history where seemingly every thought, meal, mood, etc has been recorded by the bulk of the population. People will even be able to go back in time and see what their grandparents, great grandparents ect felt or how they reacted to major issues. Essentially it is a giant diary for the planets population. Can you imagine being able to go back to the 1860's and reading everyone's reactions to the Civil War?

Do you think the bulk of the population is 2/3rd female? Facebook is!! The men are missing from Facebook!! But we won't be able to see what the percentage of the population who didn't want to use it was doing.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The USA is an "at will" employment law country. No grounds are needed for not hiring someone. The only way someone could win a discrimination suit would be to prove that the employer's decision was based on a violation of the employee's civil rights. Unless the potential employee recorded the interviewer stating the decision was based on something that can be tied directly to a protected class a lawsuit is a non-starter.

Real reasons why people don't get hired based on Facebook posts:
- Badmouthing former employers;
- Bragging about lying in order to skip work;
- Evidence of excessive alcohol use or any illegal drug use;
- Excessive foul language or other rude behavior;
- Overly exuberant support of the wrong political party (not a protected class);
- Being gay in states where this is not a protected class;
- Overly exuberant identity with a protected class (not legal to not hire someone because they are black; totally legal to not hire someone whose Facebook posts are filled with support for the Black Panther terrorist organization along with constant complaints about how the black man is being oppressed and that he should be compensated for past wrongs);
Right. So it obliterates privacy.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:16 PM

208 posts, read 170,443 times
Cool post OP! I never thought about it this way...you are right, Facebook will be a very valuable tool for our great-great-great grandkids to learn about their ancestors...that's why I take great care to NOT post any "incrimating" pictures, posts, etc.! Wouldn't want to shame the family tree for generations to come!!!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:36 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
50 years? It won't be around in another ten.
Yes, probably so, FB will be gone within a decade or so. That or social media itself will morph into something else "next big" thing online. What that may be, it is hard to say.

What will happen with all the existing profile data in coming decades? - also, very hard to say what may come of it in terms of general accessiblity. Data online changes so rapidly within 5 years, even with 20 years on, it's difficult what will remain and I think very little in its current form will remain online in 2 decades.

If you think about what was online just a decade ago, much of it is no longer easily accessible today. Much of the user-generated Web content is still very fluid and short-term, so I think the data on Facebook (and similar such social media sites) might be virtually "gone" and not accessible by large numbers of people in the long-range future.

Last edited by maus; 03-06-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfall View Post
Right. So it obliterates privacy.
No, the people who choose to use social media are obliterating their own privacy. Using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., is the equivalent of standing in the middle of town and screaming your opinions to the world. Yes, you can adjust your privacy settings, but that's only a partial fix. According to the TOS contracts that you agreed to in order to use it, anything you choose to put on social media is no longer private. It is owned by someone else (not you) and usually this means it is completely public.

Companies have every right to act on that information.

The hypocrisy of people putting all their private information on a public platform then crying because someone else looked at it is unbelievable.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:17 PM

240 posts, read 452,145 times
i actually think social media will decline in popularity and there will be a social network based on the type of phone you own: apple, samsung, etc

Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, the people who choose to use social media are obliterating their own privacy. Using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., is the equivalent of standing in the middle of town and screaming your opinions to the world. Yes, you can adjust your privacy settings, but that's only a partial fix. According to the TOS contracts that you agreed to in order to use it, anything you choose to put on social media is no longer private. It is owned by someone else (not you) and usually this means it is completely public.

Companies have every right to act on that information.

The hypocrisy of people putting all their private information on a public platform then crying because someone else looked at it is unbelievable.
Great post.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 PM

389 posts, read 276,556 times
I used facebook frequently in the past however I have become bored with it. I now basically use it to get a hold of someone if I haven't any other way. My experience with it in the past 7 years is not good. Exes used it to cheat etc. So now it really has no value in my life. It was a novelty but has passed. I think the last time i was on facebook was over two months ago.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 AM

138 posts, read 168,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I was just thinking, which is a dangerous thing I know, If Facebook is still around and running strong in 50 years or so it would really be a game changer for sociologists, economists, researchers of all fields. If you think about it there has been no other time in human history where seemingly every thought, meal, mood, etc has been recorded by the bulk of the population. People will even be able to go back in time and see what their grandparents, great grandparents ect felt or how they reacted to major issues. Essentially it is a giant diary for the planets population. Can you imagine being able to go back to the 1860's and reading everyone's reactions to the Civil War?

Really interesting question. I love to think about stuff like this. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates