Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,685,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No but society got justice because the thugs wont commit anymore crimes. And when you have a history of violence like just beating up a store clerk cops are going to think you are armed. Simple solution to what you just said... If you dont want to get shot by police dont give them any reason to investigate you in the first place.

Dont do things like robbing a store and shoving the owner around and you wont get the police called on you.

Dont hang on street corners and look suspicious either.
So, basically, you're a racist and you don't understand why it's not okay for cops to be racist, too. "Don't hang out on the street corner while black if you don't want to be shot in cold blood. Everyone knows black people hanging out is suspicious and 'thugs' deserve to be murdered by police. That's 'justice.'" Black people rob more stores than white people? That's your (completely inaccurate) argument for why black people shouldn't be upset when cops murder someone? Do you understand how ignorant you are of basic facts and common sense?

Last edited by bufflove; 03-13-2016 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,507 times
Every movement can potentially have an agenda, and of course, that's a bit disappointing. However, it doesn't mean that the movement is wrong on the whole line.

When looking from an external perspective, it is disturbing that there's always a story about Black people getting shot by cops, for a good or a bad reason. As in a civilized country, cops should not favour guns and shootings, but rather try to control the "criminals" and apprehend them, and let the judicial system do its work.

Instead, they shoot. That's probably the core of the issue.

Until recently, those news were never that big because there was no video. Now with the videos, you see a lot of situations where it's impossible to comprehend why the cop used a gun. Those cases need to be discussed, and dealt with.

What's at stake is probably the credibility of the police as a whole for the society. I am sure that the police does its job very well most of the time. Still, those cases above create a noise that's unnecessary, and again, disturbing.

Other situations that some people are quoting, such as Black people shooting other Black people, or the fact that other communities are also targeted by police actions, are real, and should be discussed... in another thread.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
What are you talking about? Please re-read and comprehend.

I'm talking about crime in black urban communities. There are many middle class black neighborhoods in the United States of America. You know how I know? I'm black and I now live in one of them!

The incessant violent crime is not taking place in middle class communities. I no longer live in the 'hood' but many are still stuck$$ there and are law abiding and deserving of peace and safety just like suburbanites. I don't care what color a criminal is but since this thread is about BLM, right now I'm speaking about the black criminal. And the majority of the black criminals are black men!

Folks like me?
You talked about: "Do you live on the South side of Chicago? West Baltimore? East LA? East Cleveland? East Atl? the Bronx, NY? N. Philadelphia? etc. If not, please don't compare being pushed, slugged or shouted down to living in a gang infested, bullet flying urban city warzone! Yes, the black community needs to address the criminal behavior of black men who terrorize the black community." You didn't mention any of the middle class Black communities throughout the country. In my view, you're perpetuating a stereotype.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 AM

926 posts, read 1,255,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You talked about: "Do you live on the South side of Chicago? West Baltimore? East LA? East Cleveland? East Atl? the Bronx, NY? N. Philadelphia? etc. If not, please don't compare being pushed, slugged or shouted down to living in a gang infested, bullet flying urban city warzone! Yes, the black community needs to address the criminal behavior of black men who terrorize the black community." You didn't mention any of the middle class Black communities throughout the country. In my view, you're perpetuating a stereotype.
I didn't mention any of the middle class black communities because I'm not talking about the middle class black communities. I am talking about BLM not addressing the issue of: the black criminals who make the law abiding black citizens in urban communities their daily victims. So, why can't a couple of you understand that point? I'm very familiar with the cities I mentioned because I lived the nightmare. A simple trip to the corner store is more likely to be a traumatic event in the urban communities I mentioned than in the black middle class community.

We can agree to disagree but there's nothing stereotypical about a fact.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:53 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The slavery part. You didn't look very far. Time Magazine.
Time magazine is reporting on exit polls from an internet site "Snopes". What I can't find is which organization financed the exit poll. It's very dubious when they will not readily mention the financing organization. The 20% are just voters in the south, when exit polls from all caucusing states was added it drops to 5%. But the icing on the cake is that the voters that said this consider themselves liberal republicans.

The story also added that the numbers were similar to all the republican candidates not just Trump.

However, you just selected Trump as the candidate, without researching it, or ignoring the entire story. Which says to me that what it comes down to an attempt to cherry pick information because you don't like Trump. Just say you don't like Trump, it makes it a much more honest conversation.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Black lives matter is about asking the very police who shoot and murder you for mercy. The movement should be about less government, but it's for fair government. But government can't be fair.

Black lives matter is specifically put out to be divisive as well. More of the same ol divide and conquer politics from the good ol gubment.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOqOlETcRU

Maybe this is why cops mistreat blacks. When the police spend decades dealing with violent crimes coming from a specific subculture....dont you think after a while they will be jaded to and target said subculture?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
So, basically, you're a racist and you don't understand why it's not okay for cops to be racist, too. "Don't hang out on the street corner while black if you don't want to be shot in cold blood. Everyone knows black people hanging out is suspicious and 'thugs' deserve to be murdered by police. That's 'justice.'" Black people rob more stores than white people? That's your (completely inaccurate) argument for why black people shouldn't be upset when cops murder someone? Do you understand how ignorant you are of basic facts and common sense?
Do the police act violently against black people at times? Sadly, yes they do. Is it with any more frequency than any other racial group? I don't know that evidence has been presented that shows they do, it just blacks are more vocal.
Should these rogue cops be removed when found and prosecuted when appropriate? Absolutely!

As a separate but equally important issue is the need for blacks to get ahold of their own neighborhoods and STOP the killing of their own by their own.

The final thing that needs to be remembered if any movement like this is to succeed.

ALL LIVES MATTER, not just black ones like the BLM heads demand. If you keep demanding that ONLY black lives matter all you're doing is creating a bigger divide between people.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Funny, I don't sag my pants, or walk like a thug, yet this cop at work thought I was trying to steal a car I left something in. Had my reflectige coat on, clipboard, gas card around my neck. Almost accused my black supervisor in an Avis coat, who walked up to vouch for me.

Once I was sitting at a bus stop at around 5pm, and got investigated by a cop claiming I may have been selling drugs- Incoulda been waiting for a bus, they do run till about 12am.

This is why BLM has legs. It isn't just gang bangers tried of police it's that many law abiding Black Americans feel they are still guilty until proven innocent by society. They are pulled over more frequently, followed in stores, etc.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:52 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOqOlETcRU

Maybe this is why cops mistreat blacks. When the police spend decades dealing with violent crimes coming from a specific subculture....dont you think after a while they will be jaded to and target said subculture?
Funny that the guy who wrote all the lyrics for this song frequently plays cop characters in movies/TV nowadays (Ice Cube).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates