Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
He probably doesn't. But it's not about whether he deserves to live - it's about whether a civilized society has the right to take the life of any citizen. I know that's awfully complex for the "kill 'em all!" crowd to comprehend, but it is what it is.
Out of curiosity--are you against the U.S. killing of U.S. citizen Anwar al-Awlaki in 2011?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
This monster is set to be executed in Texas tomorrow. Read the case and give me your best argument of why this guy deserves to live after what he did to this young boy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-tex...163155627.html
Frankly, if he genuinely wants to get executed, then I would certainly be in favor of that. However, in the grand scheme of things, I am unsure that execution is worse than life in prison. Indeed, just take a look at what Rudolf Hess endured when he was locked up in Spandau Prison for 40 years.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I would be fine with eliminating the DP, for all cases that do not meet a VERY high and narrow standard.

Then if you get the DP, age 13 and up, your appeals are done within 1 year......and you get your just rewards.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Has anyone answered my question of how the death penalty is construed to be a more severe punishment than a lifetime of hard labor in chains with a bullwhip? Since a lot of capital criminals are already borderline suicidal before they commit their crimes, the death penalty is almost like a slap on the wrist to them. This is part of the reason why I think death penalty advocates aren't very intelligent. Not only do we execute the wrong people by mistake, but we also fail to adequately punish the most horrible criminals.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Has anyone answered my question of how the death penalty is construed to be a more severe punishment than a lifetime of hard labor in chains with a bullwhip?
The death penalty is about retribution and revenge for the victims.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Has anyone answered my question of how the death penalty is construed to be a more severe punishment than a lifetime of hard labor in chains with a bullwhip? Since a lot of capital criminals are already borderline suicidal before they commit their crimes, the death penalty is almost like a slap on the wrist to them. This is part of the reason why I think death penalty advocates aren't very intelligent. Not only do we execute the wrong people by mistake, but we also fail to adequately punish the most horrible criminals.
Speaking as someone who strongly opposes the death penalty, I do not consider life in prison to be more harsh. People will point out that those who qualify for the death penalty are probably in a state of mind that would cause them to want death over lifetime incarceration, but I don't think that this means anything. A mentally stable person would not want death in all or most cases, the only exception probably dyeing in a loved ones place to save them or to avoid severe and near unending torture, both of which would put a person in a state of psychological distress anyway, so even those exceptions don't really work.

But I don't think the criminal justice system exists to be harsh. It exists to be just. I do not consider killing to be just, so I do not think the criminal justice system has the right to do it.

In regards to how harsh a crime is, it should be harsh enough to deter, but not so harsh that it creates anger and hatred for the system, as this would sort of counteract the goal of deterrence.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 AM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The death penalty is about retribution and revenge for the victims.
I know, those awful, innocent victims. And to hell with any potential future victims.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:10 PM

341 posts, read 265,798 times
The death pentaly is a waste of tax payers money,it never deter crime and it costs more to house an inmate on death row then giving him life in prison.Plus life in prison is ALOT worse punishment then death,think about it spending the rest of your life inb prison?UGhh,So I say get rid of the death pentaly for ALL USA statrs.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I know, those awful, innocent victims. And to hell with any potential future victims.
The death penalty has no effect on potential future victims. It has been repeatedly shown that the death penalty is not a deterrent to murder.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The death penalty has no effect on potential future victims. It has been repeatedly shown that the death penalty is not a deterrent to murder.
I really cringed at repeating my earlier post, but...

"Malcolm B. Benson spent 19 years behind bars after pleading guilty to second-degree murder in 1995.

The 50-year-old from Highland Park, Mich., was released early for good behavior in January 2015, according to MLive.com.

Police say it took only nine months for him to kill again.

His victim, a 59-year-old Army veteran named Stanley Carter, was waiting at a bus stop on his way to work with a group of people when Benson shot him during a botched robbery, according to CBS affiliate WWJ.

Nobody else was injured during the incident, which occurred in September. Witnesses told police that Carter had not been arguing with Benson, nor had an altercation taken place, when the convicted killer walked up to Carter and shot him, according to ABC affiliate WXYZ.

Police also said that Benson sexually assaulted a woman near the scene of the fatal shooting, according to the Detroit News.

Last week, a judge sent Benson back to prison, where he will remain for the rest of his life."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-kill-again/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates