Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,594,564 times

Advertisements

[quote=lucknow;43614635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
6th commandment - thou shall not kill.

You obviously do not understand this command.

Multiple translations exist of the fifth/sixth commandment; the Hebrew words לא תרצח (lo tirtzach) are variously translated as "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder". The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.

It can not mean what you think it means for this reason. God commands the death penalty for many offences. These would be considered lawful killings and are not contrary to the 6th commandment.

By the way,I'm opposed to the death penalty myself, not because the guilty do not deserve it but because of a far from perfect justice system that finds many innocents guilty.

I beg to differ. It means what it says. Anything else is mere equivocation.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
This monster is set to be executed in Texas tomorrow. Read the case and give me your best argument of why this guy deserves to live after what he did to this young boy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-tex...163155627.html
Because I don't want our government killing our citizens. It's a barbaric and fallible attempt at vengeance which is morally reprehensible and systematically problematic in all sorts of ways.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
This monster is set to be executed in Texas tomorrow. Read the case and give me your best argument of why this guy deserves to live after what he did to this young boy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-tex...163155627.html
Because as the governing, presiding body over justice, our system should live up to the ideal we set for our society.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,972 times
Post WW2 The Allies (including the US) had the Nuremberg trials and multiple persons were executed as a result of convictions. The anti-death penalty folks seem to have no problem with this and one poster said that it is about "who WE are". But it boils down to this ... are you for or against the death penalty period. The tired old, but...but...but doesn't work. The tired old apples and oranges comparison of situations doesn't work either. You either are for or against the death penalty. The analogy of being half-pregnant works here. You either be or don't be pregnant. Ain't no half-way. Well, Adolph, Benito, Pol Pot, Joe, Idi et al killed a lot of folks and they deserve/d it. Now we are back to the "who WE are".

I know that I have wasted my time writing this because folks will rationalize their opinions one way or the other. Notice that I didn't even mention how folks change their minds when someone near and dear to them is a victim. Anyone remember a guy named Dukakis and his wife Kitty and how he waffled? But that is probably too far in the past for most of the kids here.

I am FOR the death penalty ... ALL THE TIME.

El Nox

Old 04-05-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Understandable. However, this piece of trash admitted what he did.
False Confessions or Admissions

Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Post WW2 The Allies (including the US) had the Nuremberg trials and multiple persons were executed as a result of convictions. The anti-death penalty folks seem to have no problem with this and one poster said that it is about "who WE are". But it boils down to this ... are you for or against the death penalty period. The tired old, but...but...but doesn't work. The tired old apples and oranges comparison of situations doesn't work either. You either are for or against the death penalty. The analogy of being half-pregnant works here. You either be or don't be pregnant. Ain't no half-way. Well, Adolph, Benito, Pol Pot, Joe, Idi et al killed a lot of folks and they deserve/d it. Now we are back to the "who WE are".

I know that I have wasted my time writing this because folks will rationalize their opinions on way or the other. Notice that I didn't even mention how folks change their minds when someone near and dear to them is a victim. Anyone remember a guy named Dukakis and his wife Kitty? But that is probably too far in the past for most of the kids here.
I'm against it and I was against it for Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden too. I am 100% against the death penalty in any and all cases.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,320,774 times
Part of me say's the creep deserves to die, but for me..there is no way I could ever make that decision. I don't believe it's mine to make.

I'm also against it because I think living in a small cramped cell for a lifetime is much harder on them than letting them take the easy way out.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:41 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,295,870 times
It is a boondoggle why opponents of the death penalty do not oppose murder.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
The death penalty serves no purpose other than blood lust. It does not deter people from committing a crime and it is barbaric. History will not look kindly at this. Not to mention, our court systems are not even capable of 'getting it right':

"The Innocence Project represents clients seeking post-conviction DNA testing to prove their innocence. We also consult on a number of cases on appeal in which the defendant is represented by primary counsel and we provide information and background on DNA testing litigation. To date, 336 people in the United States have been exonerated by DNA testing, including 20 who served time on death row. These people served an average of 14 years in prison before exoneration and release."

Exonerating the Innocent

Old 04-06-2016, 12:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
About 20 years ago a survey of prison wardens found that they think between 20% and 30% of the inmates on death row are innocent. Mostly they are guilty of being poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates