Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 10:50 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times

Advertisements

The primacy of contract. This is 120-year old thinking, a leftover tidbit from a time of grossly misguided overreaction to the abuses of slavery. Known in brief as the "Lochner Era" from the Supreme Court case of that name, it is all but universally rejected and reviled today,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,964 times
It really is permanent.

Roman history,

About 200AD Rome began giving citizens free bread and oil. With large unemployment, I believe caused by slavery, many citizens simply couldn't eat. At the height, about 20% of Roman citizens received government welfare.

These unemployed and fat Romans had nothing to do so the government offered more gladiator games. There were always gladiator games but at the height, there were almost a game every other day.

Bread and circuses.

Fast forward.

EBT card and NFL. Now NFL isn't from the government, but everyone knows that the corporations are the real government right? Plus housing, I don't think Rome ever did that.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
In 50 years, machines will be smarter/faster than 99% of the population. At that point, said 99% will be on welfare, or will be "eliminated" by the owners of the machines. I'm betting on the latter: look at how many people complain about all of the welfare bums. I don't think the owners of the machines will care to keep the moochers alive.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In 50 years, machines will be smarter/faster than 99% of the population. At that point, said 99% will be on welfare, or will be "eliminated" by the owners of the machines. I'm betting on the latter: look at how many people complain about all of the welfare bums. I don't think the owners of the machines will care to keep the moochers alive.
Well, in this future dystopia, could large corporations decide to execute parts of the populace?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
It really is permanent.

Roman history,

About 200AD Rome began giving citizens free bread and oil. With large unemployment, I believe caused by slavery, many citizens simply couldn't eat. At the height, about 20% of Roman citizens received government welfare.

These unemployed and fat Romans had nothing to do so the government offered more gladiator games. There were always gladiator games but at the height, there were almost a game every other day.

Bread and circuses.

Fast forward.

EBT card and NFL. Now NFL isn't from the government, but everyone knows that the corporations are the real government right? Plus housing, I don't think Rome ever did that.
And so history repeats itself.

Very good example supporting the argument that over time a society will become dependent on government handouts.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:38 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Right now food stamps are being cut overall.
No they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I just got a letter informing me that mine are being cut again.
There is a difference between your personal experience and the overall program.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Many state flat-out that they think if someone is willing to work for $2 an hour, they should be able to (the market decides).
There is no possible argument against it. Here are the choices:

A) A willing person works for a willing employer at $2 per hour. Both are better off.

B) A person willing to work for $2 per hour is unemployed. An employer willing to hire at $2 per hour has a vacant position because of the law. Both are worse off.

Clearly, choice A is preferable to choice B. There is not possible counter argument.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:05 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Clearly, choice A is preferable to choice B. There is not possible counter argument.
If that were true, you wouldn't have felt the need of working so hard to convince us of it. Markets are not magical devices for good. They are amoral and are perfectly capable of arriving at and persisting in equilibria that are destructive and socially unacceptable. Just as pure democracy is an awful idea, so are extremes of unregulated free-market capitalism.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM

854 posts, read 520,278 times
I believe that everyone should be entitled to a basic standard of living. That includes food, healthcare and shelter plus free education. It is not entitlement. These things would pay for themselves and the net benefit to our society would be massive.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 PM

8,222 posts, read 3,483,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
No they aren't.

There is a difference between your personal experience and the overall program.
They altered the guidelines to where not as much of a person's rent is deducted from income as before so that more income is counted against the person in determining amount of food stamps the person gets. Every single person I know who receives food stamps has been informed they will be getting less food stamps come October 1st. They have done this all over the country in various states. I know KY, TN, PA, and MI are definitely affected in this manner because I communicate with people from these states and everyone I know who receives food stamps or knows someone who receives food stamps has been affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates