Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 PM

166 posts, read 243,724 times

Advertisements

Its just a much nicer way of saying I made smart decisions. If you actually said, " Thanks, I made smart decisions" that would imply that the other person who works hard has made dumb decisions, which will **** them off. What someone should say is " Thanks, I've had some luck, worked hard and made good decisions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I have several academic degrees and have done mentally difficult work and kept my nose to the grindstone a lot. I also have a small farm and do some more physical labor. BUT I would never use the phrase "I've worked hard" in conversation to explain any of my accomplishments or possessions because it does imply that you put yourself above others who may also be working hard with other forms of success.

There are exceptions. To young people I might say it as a way of promoting some awards of a strong work ethic. If I was looking to gain favor with someone who outwardly had more success than me I might say it as a way of showing that I get the whole idea of rewards take hard work. But since I have also had to give up a whole lot in my lifetime that others have spent more time and effort on, it is silly to do any comparisons.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:10 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Its just a much nicer way of saying I made smart decisions. If you actually said, " Thanks, I made smart decisions" that would imply that the other person who works hard has made dumb decisions, which will **** them off. What someone should say is " Thanks, I've had some luck, worked hard and made good decisions."
This makes sense. I think there's also a lot of people out there that equate value solely with physical effort, and justifying your success as the product of difficult labor seems more acceptable across the board.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
There's something slightly defensive about making a statement like this, and it seems a bit inappropriate, as if you're implying that other people don't work as hard as you.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:12 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Then i guess i work twice as hard being a contractor because i work hard physically and mentally. Yet i don't own anything luxury or of high value.
Is that your end goal? I don't consider that wealth.

If it is and it's not working out then you may be doing things wrong.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I guess you could say to your poorer brethren. "We both worked hard, I just ain't stupid."

That might get ya a black eye.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:20 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Donald Trump "worked hard" for what he has, building an empire.

So what daddy gave him a million dollars when he was 23 LOL.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
No it wouldn't because being successful takes multiple things not just being smart. George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla were smart but those smarts meant nothing without having connections to people willing to back their inventions. Having connections is the most important thing to achieving success at a high level but everyones personal level of success is different.

Again like people that work hard there are a lot of smart people out there and they don't have luxury homes and cars with a bank account fully of money. I consider myself very intelligent in a lot of ways and I know I work very hard but I lack connections.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:45 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No it wouldn't because being successful takes multiple things not just being smart. George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla were smart but those smarts meant nothing without having connections to people willing to back their inventions. Having connections is the most important thing to achieving success at a high level but everyones personal level of success is different.

Again like people that work hard there are a lot of smart people out there and they don't have luxury homes and cars with a bank account fully of money. I consider myself very intelligent in a lot of ways and I know I work very hard but I lack connections.
Shouldn't someone be able to figure out how to make connections? Tesla's father was a priest in a small village in Croatia. George Westinghouse's dad was a machinist in a little town in New York. Neither of the two were born into well-connected families.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Shouldn't someone be able to figure out how to make connections? Tesla's father was a priest in a small village in Croatia. George Westinghouse's dad was a machinist in a little town in New York. Neither of the two were born into well-connected families.
You are talking about way different time periods. Today everyone and their mothers has ideas or plans to start a business and looking for investors. You can't just walk up to people and start talking business with people today and expect them to believe you or take the time without knowing you.

I think i should have said the "right connections" everyone has connections with people but not the right people to help them become successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates