Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:08 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times

Advertisements

I'm not VERY influenced by conspiracy theories (with the exception of Kissinger era Population Control) but coincidentally, while searching for (different topic) articles on PubMed, I ran across many articles on topic of suseptibility to cocaine addiction for African Americans & funded by the US Government.

The link below is one:
Overlapping dopaminergic pathway genetic susceptibility to heroin and cocaine addictions in African Americans. - PubMed - NCBI

Now, obviously the crack cocaine epidemic during the 1990's would justify that these articles were written from the perspective of treatment options.

However, a simple adjustment of search keywords that more accurately reflect language used in prior decades (such as "black" or "negro") provides a glimpse into research dating back to the early 1970's. Such as:

Black-white differences in social background and military drug abuse patterns.
Nail RL, Gunderson E, Arthur RJ.
Am J Psychiatry. 1974 Oct;131(10):1097-102.
PMID: 4412218

Naturally, one would question the "chicken or the egg" issue & wonder if such knowledge could have been misused.

COULD have? Yes

WAS it? I wouldn't even begin to have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Again, people who are coming up with "solutions" for the black community don't understand the purpose of this thread. I specifically created this thread, because whenever I discuss black culture with people, they often bring up "well how did things get the way they are"? And that's a very important question.

some people would assume that it's a intrinsic part of black culture to be drug addicted and on welfare. But the reality is that black culture has not always held these values, and the shift seems to have happened in a 15-20 year period. When you see a cultural shift at that level, it's not organic, it's certainly a result of manipulation. So one can only conclude that the culture that is associated with black people wasn't actually created by black people themselves, but it was created FOR black people.

With that said, admitting that the government played a huge role in the creation of black ghetto culture, does not necessarily mean that it should be an excuse for individual black people who fail. But one cannot "change" a culture unless you first understand where it came from. I feel strongly that when someone really sees the shift in the values in black culture, one cannot honestly believe black people could have possibly created it for themselves. And one cannot honestly absolve the government for it's constant interfering, by BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE. I certainly don't believe the Democrats are soley responsible, but they certainly are responsible for a good amount of sabotage to the black community. But one cannot look at Nixon and Regan as innocent in doing whatever they can to derail black communities.

Black people should understand that they have no allies in government. This is why I promote Libertarianism for black people. Black people should embrace the free market and get government out of their lives.
The Government did not create black ghetto culture, slavery did. The Government perpetuates it in the form of housing projects, welfare for life, etc. It also participated in heinous crimes against the black people such as the Tuskegee experiment, where syphilis was allowed to go untreated as a control experiment against a certain drug to cure it. It segregated black soldiers and sailors during wartime, and allowed a West Point Cadet to go through four years of school under a code of silence - all because he was black; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_O._Davis_Jr. for a bio on a fine, courtly officer and gentleman (I had the priviledge to meet him). I could go on and on about the malfeasance against former slaves and their descendents.

Blacks coming to the US today from Africa and the Caribbean want the same things that everyone else does, a decent job, education for the children, a safe neighborhood, and they generally assimilate (e.g. Colin Powell's family). These cultures do not have the taint of slavery that created dependence, fear and mistrust of white people that those from slave ancestry have (for good reason, I might add). People from these countries and cultures have hope and aspirations, but those in the ghetto do not. The ghetto folks do not have parents who urge them to better themselves, etc. Their culture is one of violence, fear and it lacks a moral compass. Because of generational poverty and past and current grievances against black people, there are serious assimilation issues for third and fourth generation welfare recipients. They behave differently from mainstream America for this reason, and do not have mainstream values. The current situation of blacks being shot are due to fear by officers of being shot by black men, and disrespect on BOTH sides

You do not generally find situations where black doctors and lawyers are shot during traffic stops, although it has happened. You cannot lump all black people together monolithically, there is not a global black community, per se. BTW, I am mostly white (a little Chippewa, but don't even get me started on the treatment of the Native Americans).

Old 07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Generational welfare has given rise to a lack of motivation in a large portion of the black population. 72% of black children are born out of wedlock which leads to another generation of unwed births and welfare recipients. If anything there is a conspiracy by liberals to keep black dependent on the government and trapped in a form of slavery where they depend on their masters for all of there needs and therefore do what the master wants (votes democratic).
While I might agree with some of your comments I don't agree with the one in red
That comment is so stupid I am just going to put you on my ignore list so I don't have to read any more of your nonsense.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 PM

469 posts, read 549,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Yet u could not dispute anything I posted. Blacks were victims lol. Victims of a racist Federal Government. Jim Crow ended about 1970 to be honest its only 2016. From1600-1970 blacks had to battle a racist govt as a minority group. We only been free for maybe 4 decades if that lol. When u target a group with policies that dismantle their neighborhoods what do u expect? Fact that Black Americans are still here 35 million strong and still able to achieve shows you how strong and resilient they are as a culture, just look at the Native Americans their completely wiped out because of whites.

No civilization has gone through what Black Americans had to endure and can yet point to millions of successes and accomplishment in and out of slavery...NONE. Were the only Americans ones who were put/forced into poverty and had to climb our way out. Our drop in poverty is historic. No racial/ethnic group has decreased their poverty rate as fast as ours. We were close to a 60 percent rate in 1965 during Jim Crow.. It 2010 it was 25 percent. Thats incredible for a race of people to achieve that in less then 50 years. Of course facts like this upset white insecure fonts like u, who play the "victim card" and "race bait" to feed ur insecurity

Here is a LINK that shows the 1959 US Poverty Rates for Racial Groups in the U.S. Only group truly poor were Black Americans because of Slavery and then Jim Crow..no one else was stuck and placed into poverty yet our climb out of Poverty was and is higher then any other racial and ethnic group. Very Amazing and blacks do not get enough credit for their achievements and pure work ethic

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-fig1-2012.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
You must really want to believe that, so go right ahead. It strikes me as a gross oversimplification. I believe he was legitimately concerned about the rise of drug use in America. The punitive side of his remedy was only part of the equation: Nixon targeted unprecedented funding towards treatment and rehab.

Nixon "Saw illicit drug use by young people as a form of social rot, and it's something that weakens America"

Was Nixon's war on drugs a racially motivated crusade? It's a bit more complicated. - Vox

"It's certainly true that Nixon didn't like blacks and didn't like hippies," Courtwright said. "But to assign his entire drug policy to his dislike of these two groups is just ridiculous."

Frydl echoed the sentiment: "I don't want to dissuade people from thinking that the drug war has allowed the state to execute what's been largely a racialized agenda. That is definitely true. … But this particular quote is a superficial assessment."

the article was based upon members of his cabinet...they were there u were not. Furthermore the effects of fell mainly on Black Americans

Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Fort Detrick is creating vaccines for existing diseases. USAMRIID

I suggest to the moderator for this forum that a new "Bizarre Conspiracy Theory" forum be opened up and this thread be immediately moved.
I suggest you read this book

Medical Apartheid by Harriet A. Washington

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Apartheid

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM

551 posts, read 582,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My personal theory is that the government has done this and the media has gone along with it so that the focus remains on racial tension rather than economic inequality. It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones The marked increase in economic inequality has occurred over the same time period that the shift in black culture has been going on. So many of the "major political issues" that we hear about are manufactured drama and are designed to keep our focus off of the really important issues.
I agree with your view, and feel strongly this is unfortunately reality rather than just mere theory. Better to keep the low-income masses squabbling with one another rather than banding together and rising up against the elite ruling class.

This year's election demonstrates that the masses have woken up a bit to the manufactured drama, though. Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that during this highly unprecedented election process racial tensions have reached a boiling point? No one planned for Donald to win the primaries - not only was he as a candidate far underestimated, but more importantly, the electorate was as well. Hillary wasn't about to let the same mistake happen, as we now know. The fact that we even know, shows how much the worm has turned.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
THIS^^^ Excellent post. Especially the highlighted part.
Please stop with the white deflection and phony concern. This whole thread is about what caused it in the first place. I suggest u reread the whole thread. Since ur soooo concerned with the violence why don't u create a practical solution

Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 AM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottfromPHX View Post
"Love this topic. Equal rights wasn't the problem (we never got it) the false lie of integration was. It wasn't really integration it was desentigration. Blacks had competitive neighborhoods and businesses now we own less then before and are now " scattered". Blacks wanted economic integration not "social" integration..

I read the book "Black like Me" awhile ago and local black businesses as well as the family unit were in much better shape when the book was written.

A black man I worked once said the biggest problem within the black community is the crab mentality. That a black man hates nothing more than to see another black man try and better themselves. They want to pull you back down.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:25 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I read the book "Black like Me" awhile ago and local black businesses as well as the family unit were in much better shape when the book was written.

A black man I worked once said the biggest problem within the black community is the crab mentality. That a black man hates nothing more than to see another black man try and better themselves. They want to pull you back down.

As a black man I can definitely admit to this. If I am a black guy in the hood, and I want to get a PHD in computer science, I'm going to get torn down by most black people. I'll hear things like...

"What are you doing that for?"

"You're smart, but they're never going to let a black man do that"

"You can't even get to 59th st to 63st without getting lost, and now you're going to F with computers?"

Trust me, my father has that mentality big time. I do NOT know where that comes from though. My mother, grandmother, and most of my family who I was around (my mother's side) heavily encouraged me to pursue my dreams. And maybe it's because my grandmother had every single possible odd stacked against her when she tried to get her degree, that she doesn't believe in discouraging anyone who wants to excel.

With that said, whenever I've gone to black forum, and I tell people I work as a software engineer, people always say, "software engineers dont even make any money", "you're too stupid to be a software engineer", "if you're a software engineer, show me a paystub". I've even had some people so pissed off they tried to find out where I work and call my job (good luck getting anyone at an international company on the phone to inquire about 1 employee).

And all I wanted to do was talk about advancing STEM education in the black community. I do NOT know where this comes from. My father is the exact same way, and I don't have that great of a relationship with him. It's gotten better as I've grown up, and have been successful, but he refuse to even admit he has the "crab in the barrell" mentality. Back when I was pursuing my studies he told me constantly that I was wasting my time.

This is a pretty big big issue in the black community, mostly among poor blacks. In the more middle class and upper middle class black communities, it exists, but not nearly as bad.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 AM

673 posts, read 465,686 times
Victim mentality............plain and simple. If a group continues to pound away that "you, are a victim" then the ignorant will believe it. Why?...........the victim cannot reason on it's own, it doesn't have the ability.

Over two hundred years later...........and still can't get out of it's own way.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates