Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 AM

838 posts, read 555,005 times

Advertisements

I don’t watch the news too much in the morning because I don’t like my day starting off on a negative tone. However, my cat stepped on my remote and the news flipped on. The story was about a local police officer who was denied service at a restaurant. They didn’t mention the race of either the police officer or the employee but you know what? It doesn’t matter.

I’m so tired of the hypocrisy. You don’t want to be condemned (or profiled) from the bad actions of others that may be your race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or whatever but you turn around and deny service to the same freaking person you’d want to show up for YOU if your car was stolen or house broken into. What kind of sense does that make?

The police officer was standing in line wanting noodles for lunch. Your job is to cook noodles. Shut the heck up and cook the freaking noodles. But no. The noodle cook needed to exercise a little power which only wound up getting her fired. She’s probably in line today putting in an application for unemployment. I’ll work all day and night to pay the salaries of our good and dedicated law enforcement officers but not her. But that’s a rant for another thread.

So I googled the local news story over lunch today and found out this is happening everywhere. McDonald’s, IHOP and in an ironic twist, Dunkin Donuts.

Yes, I’m mad but most of all I am so terribly sad. I’m appalled and upset by the actions of some of these police officers (don’t get me started on the guy who was laying on his back and got shot while his hands were over his head) but never, ever, would I shun an entire population from the actions of a bad few.

Maybe I’m naïve. Maybe I don’t totally understand as the only profiling I have been a victim of is being called a “dumb blonde”. Oh, and not getting my dream job 15+ years ago because I was “of child bearing age”.

So that’s why I am here. I would love to hear the opinions and thoughts of others. Was this noodle cook right to do this? If you think so, please tell me why. I know I’ll never truly understand but perhaps your thoughts and opinions will at least help me see it from other point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 11:27 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Yup, a couple of weeks ago, here in Washington State, a couple of sheriff's deputies were told that they were not welcome at a local noodle shop. It was explained away as a "misunderstanding", but what struck me was the thought that a baker here in Washington State cannot legally refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, yet it is perfectly legal to refuse service to law enforcement.

Priorities screwed up much?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, a couple of weeks ago, here in Washington State, a couple of sheriff's deputies were told that they were not welcome at a local noodle shop. It was explained away as a "misunderstanding", but what struck me was the thought that a baker here in Washington State cannot legally refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, yet it is perfectly legal to refuse service to law enforcement.

Priorities screwed up much?

Maybe police need to be a legally protected class.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:53 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe police need to be a legally protected class.
If that's what it takes for absurdity like this to go away...

Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 PM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
It is definitely wrong. Real civil rights warriors fought against discrimination so everyone could be served noodles if they so desired. Refusing service to someone based on their job is no different than refusing service to someone based on their skin color.

I live in a rural area and most businesses will often give officers free food when they are on duty. I cant imagine they would refuse service.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I don't much like "boycotts", but there are times...
If I don't like a restaurant, it is very simple; they just don't get any more of my money. EVER!
For instance, several years ago, I stopped in at a local ice cream franchise and ordered a banana split. I noticed when I walked in that the place seemed to be unusually messy, but didn't think anything of it. It all went down hill from there. I managed to find a fairly clean place to sit, and ate my soupy banana split. Then I went home and wrote a firm letter to corporate headquarters, telling them of the filthy conditions of their local store, and that I would never go in there again. Even though they apologized profusely, and sent me a coupon, I have kept that promise to myself. I have not gone back.
Yes, in business dealings I not only hold a grudge, but when it dies I have it mounted and hung on the wall!
Since I have son in law enforcement, such an action as described in the OP, by any business in this town, would result in my family never going there again!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Here in Oregon, if a same sex couple sets up a bakery to deny them a wedding cake (with dozens of other bakeries around them), the state awards them $350,000. If a policeman/policewoman is denied food at a restaurant, it is applauded.

This is the new hypocrisy of "progressiveness".

Perhaps there should be a way of identifying businesses that do not wish to allow police to patronize their establishments and then they can equally be off limits for police and/or fire calls when they need help. Seems like a fair trade off to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates