Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:14 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Internships are basically apprenticeships.
No, they aren't. Not "basically," not at all. An apprenticeship extends for a period to fully train a person in a craft or profession. He leaves the apprenticeship as a Journeyman and goes to work for a Master--or even hang out his own shingle. An analog to apprenticeship would be an Associate course that included field training and ended in certification.

Internships do not end--and are not intended to end--in the kind of certification that actually means immediate employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,023,540 times
Quote:
Internships are basically apprenticeships. Unfortunately, liberals have pushed to eliminate unpaid internships, which for decades served as low cost training programs to teach young people a profession. As usual, ideology defeated common sense, and now it's much more expensive to train entry levels.
Sounds a little too much like "indentured servitude". We had that for a long time as well. Not anymore though.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:09 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Internships are basically apprenticeships. Unfortunately, liberals have pushed to eliminate unpaid internships, which for decades served as low cost training programs to teach young people a profession. As usual, ideology defeated common sense, and now it's much more expensive to train entry levels.

The unintended consequence will be that young people will be locked out unless they pay to play, or have a relative in the firm, or can get their training abroad. Similarly, graduate students have recently been designated as employees, a fundamental transformation of a centuries old system of training future scholars.

Liberals are like locusts, rapaciously devouring everything in their path.
Liberals are great at not anticipating or caring about the real-world consequences of their actions. In the case of internships the liberals make the point that interns perform work that would normally be paid. The counterpoint is that the "work" performed by internship requires education and supervision that itself has a value. I believe that college students should have the option of building towards their careers rather than just being lifeguards or summer camp counselors. I understand wage and hour protections for those lacking the sophistication or intelligence to protect their rights. Colleg students generally don't meet that description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is no argument from me that the professions like law and medicine should keep a requirement for bachelor's degrees. We can probably list career fields and professions that actually require graduate degrees, and those that require graduate degrees obviously require bachelor's degrees.

But I'd argue that nearly every job today that "requires" only a bachelor's degree...doesn't actuaLLY require one at all. I'd argue that all those jobs really require--at most--an Associates degree and/or technical certifications.
I am a lawyer, not a doctor. I vociferously support allowing apprenticeships for lawyers, even without a Bachelor's degree.

Well, if there is an argument from you, okay, then.
As a lawyer I have found so-called legal and college education almost valueless. I learned most of what I know from more experienced practitioners. Likewise I have had to teach most young lawyers working under me how to practice. Studying in law school from casebooks filled with high court decisions does nothing to train a young attorney how to apply real-life facts to the law or make arguments that will resonate with a busy judge. Certainly they do not learn to question witnesses, handle discovery or settle discovery disputes.

Learning what some ancient English chancellor had to say about the foreseeable consequences of a particular neglect does not relate to what happens when young attorneys come to work in the morning. Seven years of very pricey babysitting in educations of higher learning similarly adds little to the preparation.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I understand wage and hour protections for those lacking the sophistication or intelligence to protect their rights. Colleg students generally don't meet that description.
College students, for the most part, do generally meet that description. That's why so many of them are in debt with degrees that won't earn them a living.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Many of the themes of this tread are picked up in this new thread, When will this PC stuff end?, and quoted in this post (link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates