Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But didn't the liberal media said a month or two ago that he was broke? Of course a month later he opened a new golf course at the same time Brexit happened.

His tax returns doesn't interest me at all because almost all rich people like to make them look poor as they can be. It's the tax returns of his companies that is where all his money network is hiding.

I own a business myself and I do whatever I could to legally shelter my business earnings and my personal tax returns is boring as hell.
The key word here is "you" and the few others that have spoken here. A poll would show that an overwhelming majority believes the tax returns should be released and that this information is relevant to the election choice. Tax returns tell us some things directly and allow us to draw inferences about others. The returns do say what the person's income is and what his sources of income are. The sources of income are highly relevant. If a President comes from the private sector, I would want to know whether someone paying him/her might benefit from a trade deal, particular regulations, or changes in the tax code. I would want to know if his source of income is principally capital gains what effect government policies might have on those capital gains.

Charitable contributions and deductions tell us much about a presidential candidate. They tell us whether he/she is "charitable" and what they regard as charitable. Deductions may furnish all sorts of clues about financial interests and use of the tax code.

Tax rate tells us whether the candidate believes he should pay his fair share of taxes or whether he simply regards taxes as something that other people ought to pay. Its a character issue whether it is technically within the law or not.

You can't file for bankruptcy or take out a significant loan in this country without providing tax returns. Running for President is a bit more serious than those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:32 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
But didn't the liberal media said a month or two ago that he was broke? Of course a month later he opened a new golf course at the same time Brexit happened.
That means nothing. Could be and likely is all OPM (other peoples' money).

Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The tax returns are extremely relevant and I question the critical thinking skills of those who do not believe that they are.

The returns will outline how the individual makes his money. It will outline charitable contributions, if any. It will show whether the individual is paying a reasonable tax rate or is scamming the system. There is a plethora of financial information in tax returns that is highly important in judging a candidate. Every presidential candidate, but one, for the last forty years has voluntarily produced their tax returns.
I'll tell you what the critical thinking skills are -- if "my" candidate doesn't want to disclose his tax returns, it's because it's not important to do so, while if my candidate does disclose his tax returns and the other candidate does notm then it's important to do so.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I couldn't agree more. Remember Senator Eagleton as VP candidate om 1972? In a nutshell Senator Eagleton was treated successfully for what is now called bipolar disorder during the late 1960's. McGovern picked him for his Vice Presidential candidate at the 1972 Democratic Convention. A columnist, Jack Anderson, unearthed and exposed the treatments. McGovern, after first stating he was "1000% behind him" dropped Eagleton like a hot potato. He forced Eagleton to leave the ticket. He haplessly and publicly floundered for a week seeking a replacement. Sargent Shriver reluctantly accepted, but the disarray basically destroyed whatever small chances McGovern had to beat Nixon that fall.
As a principal, we had a teacher with bi-polar disorder. Most of the time she was fine. But there were periods when she was not fine at all, wouldn't show up for work, and the most extreme situation was the time she disappeared (abandoned her position) for 3 years...and then asked for a letter of reference for a new job.

Sorry, but while I am not overly concerned with most physical illnesses, I am very concerned with mental illness for candidates for the presidency.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:

His tax returns doesn't interest me at all because almost all rich people like to make them look poor as they can be. It's the tax returns of his companies that is where all his money network is hiding.

I own a business myself and I do whatever I could to legally shelter my business earnings and my personal tax returns is boring as hell.
Could you cite that please? I don't remember that.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Donald Trumps Doctor says that he will be the healthiest President ever, Even though he will also be the second heaviest President ever. I am not sure if his Doctor is aware that George W. Bush has been running 5 miles a day for years, or that Bill Clinton had a daily run thru the National Mall, or that Barrack Obama golf's, plays basketball, and appears in better health than both Hillary or Donald. I think I read that even the Elder Bush ran from time to time.

Best health ever? I am thinking that the two major parties candidates are two of the worse conditioned Candidates that the Nation has seen in a long long time. Then again they are the oldest as well. A lot of people would ask about Reagan because of his age. He was 69 when he ran for President.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Donald Trumps Doctor says that he will be the healthiest President ever, Even though he will also be the second heaviest President ever. I am not sure if his Doctor is aware that George W. Bush has been running 5 miles a day for years, or that Bill Clinton had a daily run thru the National Mall, or that Barrack Obama golf's, plays basketball, and appears in better health than both Hillary or Donald. I think I read that even the Elder Bush ran from time to time.

Best health ever? I am thinking that the two major parties candidates are two of the worse conditioned Candidates that the Nation has seen in a long long time. Then again they are the oldest as well. A lot of people would ask about Reagan because of his age. He was 69 when he ran for President.
Ok.. Hang on.. To be the second heaviest, he would have to be heavier than Bill.. Remember the jokes about him and McDonalds during the first campaign.. Now.. yes.. He's gotten a WHOLE lot healthier since leaving office.. But..

Then we have William Howard Taft.. He of the oversized bathtub..

Those are two off the top of my head that I can't imagine Trump being heavier than.

If I go back through the list again, I might come up with more..

Old 09-16-2016, 04:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. Hang on.. To be the second heaviest, he would have to be heavier than Bill.. Remember the jokes about him and McDonalds during the first campaign.. Now.. yes.. He's gotten a WHOLE lot healthier since leaving office.. But..
Not saying he was the healthiest president, but no he was not heavier then Trump.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...ion-1993-1.jpg

Quote:
Then we have William Howard Taft.. He of the oversized bathtub..

Those are two off the top of my head that I can't imagine Trump being heavier than.

If I go back through the list again, I might come up with more..
Grover Cleveland was another one, but I feel if we are going to compare health, it should be compared to more recent Presidents. Health and fitness is much different today then it was back in the 1800s.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Donald Trump has made it abundantly clear that he has never had sex with a peccadillo, armadillo or an armourdildo .
However, he is being sued for having sex with a 13 year old girl in 1997. He was hanging out with a well known pederast at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates