Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I think that school is unpleasant enough as it is without making it worse. The social situations growing up can teach those lessons. Make school too deliberately difficult and kids may drop out or be turned off to learning the rest of their lives
Oh for Pete's sake. Quit whining about school being difficult (it's not). I may be a retired educator, but I would hardly say that America's education system -- over all -- is rigorous. Here's my suggestion -- do home schooling. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:10 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
I do not understand why students are encouraged to spend hours studying for assignments and then asked to rush to take the tests on what they have learned? If a student spent 8 hours studying the parents would be very pleased why can't they take their time on the test as well? It is true most do not need 8 hours for a test but what I have been trying to say is that the time limits create more stress.

Why can't a student be allowed to spend 8 hours on a test if that is what he or she thinks is needed ? Maybe allow the testing to go on for a few days not a few short hours? Would fcat and sat scores in schools improve if there was no rush to finish by a certain time ? Allowing students to take as long as they needed.

Because schools aren't going to pay test proctors to sit around for 8 hours while you finish your history test. And because you'd miss all your other classes while you took 8 hours and then would expect accommodations to be made so you could catch up in those classes. If everyone else can take the test in the time allotted for the class, why should you be allowed 8 hours?

There are techniques you can learn to alleviate your issue with tests and become a better test taker. It will take some time and effort on your part, but would be worth it in the long run.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:23 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Wow most of you really seem to love your timed tests. Feeling a little shocked that time constraints on tests that make so many students stressed out and uncomfortable are so important to so many of you. I really think there is a better way.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Wow most of you really seem to love your timed tests. Feeling a little shocked that time constraints on tests that make so many students stressed out and uncomfortable are so important to so many of you. I really think there is a better way.
Your not supposed to be pursuing comfort, you are supposed to be pursuing excellence as a student and a person. Stress will be reduced from meeting expectations and difficult challenges, not avoiding them. It's not about feeling comfortable, it's about being good. Competence provides a higher quality of relaxation and well-being than seeking to lower expectations.

It's not about feeling comfortable. That is not a worthy goal. In fact, discomfort is what you want to pursue. Growth ONLY comes from exceeding expectations and moving beyond and outside of your comfort zone. The comfort zone is a killing field for the human spirit.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your not supposed to be pursuing comfort, you are supposed to be pursuing excellence as a student and a person. Stress will be reduced from meeting expectations and difficult challenges, not avoiding them. It's not about feeling comfortable, it's about being good. Competence provides a higher quality of relaxation and well-being than seeking to lower expectations.

It's not about feeling comfortable. That is not a worthy goal. In fact, discomfort is what you want to pursue. Growth ONLY comes from exceeding expectations and moving beyond and outside of your comfort zone. The comfort zone is a killing field for the human spirit.

How do you know when you have pushed an average student too hard? Does the school system's educational format ever go from encouraging students to excel academically to creating too much stress that is counterproductive to learning? From the advice in the article below I guess the answer is that it depends on the student.

Here is an article on the subject and here is a quote:
"Sometime in 2014,a teacher in one of its Brooklyn schools was secretly filmed ripping up a first grader’s work, shouting at her and sending her to the “calm-down chair,†because the child could not read her math sheet aloud. The New York Times put the film online on Feb. 13, prompting comments from thousands of people, many of whom need a spell in the calm-down chair. “That’s the kind of moment a kid will remember into old age. Why would a student take another learning risk again? Or anyone who witnessed that?†wrote one respondent. Others didn’t see the big deal: “Get a grip, people. Stop coddling children. It’s a tough world out there."

How Hard I Should Push My Child?

Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
No compromise is necessary, there is no reason to eliminate timed tests in order to subsidize and encourage weakness.
You're conflating slowness with weakness. Inability to understand the issues and avoid conflating them is a weakness. You need to take more time to think about what you're saying. There is no deadline here. Except that you have to get your reply in before the moderator closes the thread.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
I see your point but as was also discussed previously there are other ways to work in those industries where the time limits can be much less. For instance a chef can work in catering and start preparing very early in order to work at his own pace or a mechanic can work on personal customers cars where there is less of a deadline .
Your examples still don't work. If you take up 10x as much lift time as other mechanics, you're not keeping your job. Personal cars or not. You can't hog the kitchen for days as a caterer. There are other events that have to be prepped.

I can't think of any industry that does not have time based constraints. Unless you own the business, there are time constraints. If you own the business, then you're probably going out of business if you can't meet the normal timelines.

Mowing lawns? How are you going to make enough when you mow one lawn per day and others are mowing 10? Accounting? Who is gonna hire an accountant that can't meet the tax date?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:50 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You're conflating slowness with weakness. Inability to understand the issues and avoid conflating them is a weakness. You need to take more time to think about what you're saying. There is no deadline here. Except that you have to get your reply in before the moderator closes the thread.

It's probably not weakness that you are intentionally misapprehending the fact that encouraged slowness can be in and of itself a contributor to weakness.

Competence requires the ability to do a job quickly AND completely. The quickly part is important. Timed educational testing addresses both functional and temporal aspects of performance. Just like life.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Your examples still don't work. If you take up 10x as much lift time as other mechanics, you're not keeping your job. Personal cars or not. You can't hog the kitchen for days as a caterer. There are other events that have to be prepped.

I can't think of any industry that does not have time based constraints. Unless you own the business, there are time constraints. If you own the business, then you're probably going out of business if you can't meet the normal timelines.

Mowing lawns? How are you going to make enough when you mow one lawn per day and others are mowing 10? Accounting? Who is gonna hire an accountant that can't meet the tax date?
I do understand that there has to be some time constraints in things but I just do not think there should always be so much emphasis on rushing and hurrying, maybe many things are too fast paced ? . And for education I think doing everything to help students learn is better then pushing them too hard or causing them too much stress.

About a job with no time constraints what about making movie sequels or writing novels? Those can take years. It was 63 years before we had a sequel to Bambi. That is an extreme example but sequels often have a gap of years in between. Look at the Star Wars Series.

The writer of the best selling Clan Of The Cave Bear Books series of 6 books by Jean M Auel took her 31 years to complete and it took Margaret Mitchel 10 years to write Gone With The Wind. What would have happened to that novel if she had been rushed to finish it sooner?

I understand the desire to rush I get impatient a lot , but maybe some things are worth the wait?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
It's probably not weakness that you are intentionally misapprehending the fact that encouraged slowness can be in and of itself a contributor to weakness.

Competence requires the ability to do a job quickly AND completely. The quickly part is important. Timed educational testing addresses both functional and temporal aspects of performance. Just like life.
But a test is not a job. It's a scientific measurement of what people know. If it also measures their speed, it needs to measure both their speed and their knowledge, and not conflate them. Conflated measurements hide problems where they can't be diagnosed. If the person is slow, that needs to be known. If they don't know the material they're supposed to know, that needs to be known too. By conflating those two, neither of them is really known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates