Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
That happened 95 years ago.

Got anything more recent ?

How many do you want? 2009... there are more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

That man was both unarmed, and handcuffed, and shot in the back.

There are many.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-22-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:02 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
The problem is largely due to non compliance by the victim, they contributed to their death by not following the officer's commands. Like it or not, someone who has the power of the state up to the point of lethal force should be complied with or you face the consequences.

That being said, there have been a couple of instances recently where it appears that the cops made a mistake and killed an innocent man. The man killed by a cop while he was reaching for his concealed permit all the while, his "girlfriend" live streamed his death from the front seat comes to mind. In that case, the officers knew of the "girlfriend" as she had been threatening cops on social media and even talked about using her shotgun. No wonder the cop was a little jumpy.

In my part of the world, Jack Yantis and LaVoy Finicum were killed, some say murdered, by law enforcement in two separate instances. Did you see riots in Boise? No, because they didn't fit the "victim" profile and narrative some professional trouble makers and the mainstream media want to promote. Plenty of people in my part of the country and livid and want those LEOs in prison.

There are people who should not be allowed to have a badge and a gun, but its a small percentage. Those should be identified and blocked from serving in department.

Making it impossible to hire bad cops by way of making all LEOs subject to obtaining professional insurance would be a start. If a county, state or even the federal government had to insure individual officers before they could be hired that might prevent hiring of LEOs who are too much of a liability. A national database of LEOs where disciplinary actions and complaints could be recorded could make this work. Its not ideal, but hey we got AL Capone not on all the really bad stuff he did, but for tax evasion....

Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
The problem is largely due to non compliance by the victim, they contributed to their death by not following the officer's commands. Like it or not, someone who has the power of the state up to the point of lethal force should be complied with or you face the consequences.

That being said, there have been a couple of instances recently where it appears that the cops made a mistake and killed an innocent man. The man killed by a cop while he was reaching for his concealed permit all the while, his "girlfriend" live streamed his death from the front seat comes to mind. In that case, the officers knew of the "girlfriend" as she had been threatening cops on social media and even talked about using her shotgun. No wonder the cop was a little jumpy.

In my part of the world, Jack Yantis and LaVoy Finicum were killed, some say murdered, by law enforcement in two separate instances. Did you see riots in Boise? No, because they didn't fit the "victim" profile and narrative some professional trouble makers and the mainstream media want to promote. Plenty of people in my part of the country and livid and want those LEOs in prison.

There are people who should not be allowed to have a badge and a gun, but its a small percentage. Those should be identified and blocked from serving in department.

Making it impossible to hire bad cops by way of making all LEOs subject to obtaining professional insurance would be a start. If a county, state or even the federal government had to insure individual officers before they could be hired that might prevent hiring of LEOs who are too much of a liability. A national database of LEOs where disciplinary actions and complaints could be recorded could make this work. Its not ideal, but hey we got AL Capone not on all the really bad stuff he did, but for tax evasion....
I'm not saying there are no cases in history where someone completely complied and still got killed by police but I would guess it's less then 1% of the cases. The problem is that certain members of society have no respect for the police which starts at home where they have no respect for parents, elders, teachers or authority in general. Those people don't want to be told what to do and if their parents did a better job they'd probably still be alive and probably wouldn't be in the situations in the first place. Most Americans with common sense understand that you comply with police even if you did nothing wrong and you live to tell your story in court and put faith in the justice system if needed

Old 09-22-2016, 02:43 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have been thinking this since we have seen a few more potentially unarmed suspect shootings by cops that perhaps we need to charge cops who do this with Murder-2 automatically. The reason why I say this is because of separate but equal being illegal in accordance to the 14th Amendment and cases like Brown V. Board. If the general public can be charged almost instantly, why cannot cops? Isn't that unconstitutional and unfair to non-blue lives.

FYI, I do typically side with cops, but there are a few too many cases of late where suspects are shot and/or killed by cops who just get a free pass after going to desk duty.
What cases of unarmed people being shot? Hadn't heard of any recently.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm not saying there are no cases in history where someone completely complied and still got killed by police but I would guess it's less then 1% of the cases. The problem is that certain members of society have no respect for the police which starts at home where they have no respect for parents, elders, teachers or authority in general. Those people don't want to be told what to do and if their parents did a better job they'd probably still be alive and probably wouldn't be in the situations in the first place. Most Americans with common sense understand that you comply with police even if you did nothing wrong and you live to tell your story in court and put faith in the justice system if needed

Great post worthy of me re-posting it ..........( I ran out of reps for today )

Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
No, I personally don't have a problem with police shooting their guns.

The police use force for the enforcement of the law. Their main goal is to capture the subject, by contrast the main goal of a soldier is to kill their opponent while gang members use their weapons to subjugate and kill their own people.

Police go through extensive training unlike the majority of gun owners. Target identification and threat recognition are critical parts of this training.Preparing officers for immediate, spontaneous, lethal attacks.

Isn't it most likely the police are on high alert when getting a call for help from within communities where gangs flourish and intimidate their own neighbors, a place it is not safe to live in or walk in, and is fortified by criminals?. Nevertheless police bound by a call of duty brave it despite high odds they will be shot.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:43 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Update: The officer in the Tulsa Shooting was charged with manslaughter.
Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby charged with manslaughter - CNN.com

Just to clarify, "murder" is generally the intentional killing of another human. "Manslaughter" is accidental killing, or "the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."

Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

Just to clarify, "murder" is generally the intentional killing of another human. "Manslaughter" is accidental killing, or "the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder."
Yes as you point out that is different then murder. And from the evidence I have seen that case is more questionable then the one in NC where they are rioting, destroying businesses and putting innocent white people in the hospital. The case in NC seems to have plenty of evidence and photos that prove the "victim" had a gun when police shot him...but some people are looking for any reason for civil unrest, violence and anarchy in their community

Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
That happened 95 years ago.

Got anything more recent ?
Depending on how old he is, that might be recent to him.

Quote:
people should stop doing stupid stuff and they'd stop getting killed by cops. I also have not seen anything in any publicized case that is murder. And almost in every case as details come out the dead look more and more guilty...unfortunately the BLM people have already burned down half the city and beaten dozens of innocent people before that happens
The blm crowd doesn't care about guilt or innocence, they use any reason to loot and steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post

Another problem is that some people have egos that are too big so they don't want to comply. Gee, guess who wins the majority of those fights?

I agree that there are a lot of people who should not be allowed to have a badge and gun but I don't think the percentage is really that small. My personal experience is that the hiring results are pre-determined. If they want to hire you, you're going to get hired. On the other hand, if they don't want to hire you, it doesn't matter how qualified you are. I was told I wasn't qualified even though I have 8+ years of honorable military, secret security clearance, excellent physical conditioning, high test scores, no background issues, 2 college degrees, foreign language and they told me I wasn't qualified. Yeah...

Quote:
Most Americans with common sense understand that you comply with police even if you did nothing wrong and you live to tell your story in court and put faith in the justice system if needed
That's what you'd think. Your ego would take a hit but at least you would live to let the courts decide it instead of being dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

I wonder how she got hired. What were her qualifications? Who did she know? Was she an EO hire? What did her peers think of her work? Was she really the most qualified person they hired out of that testing group?

If they can answer those questions honestly, which I doubt they will, they can start to see the source of further problems.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Great post worthy of me re-posting it ..........( I ran out of reps for today )
Why should people respect people that work for them, theoretically, the citizens of the community and why should people respect those that will shoot them in the back? Respect is earned, it isn't given automatically, and it isn't or shouldn't be given just because someone has a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates