Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

It's worth thinking about putting some regulation in place regarding service animals. The simplest solution would be to have a government issued permit/tag that must be visible when the animal is taken into a public place - just like anyone using a public handicapped space must show a visible handicap tag/permit. Similarly, to allow such an animal in a rental unit that does not allow pets, they would need to provide evidence of having this permit.

There is an organization that gives you the opportunity to "register" your animal for a fee, but right now there is no government oversight for this. There should be.
Yes, let's add yet another requirement and obstacle for handicapped people who simply want to be able to exist and function as easily as possible.

People without significant disabilities have absolutely no idea the difficulties we have to deal with. To many it seems like the idea of a required registry is an easy fix, without thinking of all the problems one more requirement would mean to the disabled.

We already have to deal with multiple medical appointments for SSI or SSDI, parking permits, public handicapped van paperwork. These appoints are not free and the toll on our bodies are significant. One appointment can take up to six hours of pain, with travel, waiting times all for the "quick 15 minutes" with the Doc. Then of course there are the multiple phone calls or the multiple emails to the Dr's office to get them to finish the paperwork. If you are lucky they will mail the paperwork (since government agencies do not accept electronic paperwork); if you are unlucky you have to physically go back to the office.

All of this because there are unconscionable people taking advantage of laws that are meant to make our lives easier. I wish these people could actually live in our bodies for 48 hours, I guarantee they would be sobbing with relief when their own bodies were returned to them. These frauds are the disgusting dregs of humanity with no conscience, no honor and no soul; but yes, let us add "only" one more requirement to the disabled - our bodies are used to abuse. People have no idea how tough we have to be just to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:37 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Yes, let's add yet another requirement and obstacle for handicapped people who simply want to be able to exist and function as easily as possible.

People without significant disabilities have absolutely no idea the difficulties we have to deal with. To many it seems like the idea of a required registry is an easy fix, without thinking of all the problems one more requirement would mean to the disabled.

We already have to deal with multiple medical appointments for SSI or SSDI, parking permits, public handicapped van paperwork. These appoints are not free and the toll on our bodies are significant. One appointment can take up to six hours of pain, with travel, waiting times all for the "quick 15 minutes" with the Doc. Then of course there are the multiple phone calls or the multiple emails to the Dr's office to get them to finish the paperwork. If you are lucky they will mail the paperwork (since government agencies do not accept electronic paperwork); if you are unlucky you have to physically go back to the office.

All of this because there are unconscionable people taking advantage of laws that are meant to make our lives easier. I wish these people could actually live in our bodies for 48 hours, I guarantee they would be sobbing with relief when their own bodies were returned to them. These frauds are the disgusting dregs of humanity with no conscience, no honor and no soul; but yes, let us add "only" one more requirement to the disabled - our bodies are used to abuse. People have no idea how tough we have to be just to survive.
You're right, most of us have no idea what you go through. So forgive my ignorance, but with all the "evidence" you must surely have that you are truly disabled (your medical records, perhaps a handicapped vehicle tag, your SSI benefits, etc) shouldn't it be easy enough to verify that you genuinely need a service animal without additional doctor appointments or obstacles? With no verification process whatsoever, there will never be a way to stop the scammers.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You're right, most of us have no idea what you go through. So forgive my ignorance, but with all the "evidence" you must surely have that you are truly disabled (your medical records, perhaps a handicapped vehicle tag, your SSI benefits, etc) shouldn't it be easy enough to verify that you genuinely need a service animal without additional doctor appointments or obstacles? With no verification process whatsoever, there will never be a way to stop the scammers.
I never have any issues proving my multiple disabilities. However each and every agency that needs paperworkqa signed by my Doc (even for renewal forms) all require a Dr. visit. It would be sooooo lovely if we could just send the paperwork via email to the Doc and have him send it on to the proper agency but that simply is not what is required. All of the things you have mentioned have their own paperwork and appointments that we have to drag ourselves to; we also have to have an appointment for each and every DME we might need. New wheelchair, walker, bedside commode, bath chair, bags for ileostomies, urine catheters, pain pump refills, breathing equipment, hospital beds, meds for skin breakdowns and tubing for feeding tubes, white "blind" canes,Braille equipment and skilled nursing; bathing, washing hair, dressing, providing ROM; computer (to name just a few things).

Even though my Doc. know my case very well, I have to physically bring the paperwork (because they want to charge for the visit) and none of my needed paperwork EVER falls in a place where I could combine the visits.
So, it is never, ever easy. So, when the SD laws were implemented they were set to make it easier on those of us needing SDs. The problem is that perfectly healthy people who do not need an SD to go out in public in order toq have some faint semblance of a normal life are taking advantage of the law in order to scam the public, whilst we might have to add yet another set of hoops to try to drag our way through.

Far, far easier for people to act like decent human beings. I am under no illusions that we, the disabled, will soon have to prove yet again that we are indeed disabled and get to pay for the privilege (because those of us on fixed incomes have sooo much money to fritter away).

Do I seem frustrated and tired? Yes, because it is hard to be disabled and hard to have to go above and beyond because "normal" people think it is a lark to undeservedly take advantage of laws meant to make our lives easier. Shame on these people, but everyone knows that these types of people have no shame whatsoever.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I never have any issues proving my multiple disabilities. However each and every agency that needs paperworkqa signed by my Doc (even for renewal forms) all require a Dr. visit. It would be sooooo lovely if we could just send the paperwork via email to the Doc and have him send it on to the proper agency but that simply is not what is required. All of the things you have mentioned have their own paperwork and appointments that we have to drag ourselves to; we also have to have an appointment for each and every DME we might need. New wheelchair, walker, bedside commode, bath chair, bags for ileostomies, urine catheters, pain pump refills, breathing equipment, hospital beds, meds for skin breakdowns and tubing for feeding tubes, white "blind" canes,Braille equipment and skilled nursing; bathing, washing hair, dressing, providing ROM; computer (to name just a few things).

Even though my Doc. know my case very well, I have to physically bring the paperwork (because they want to charge for the visit) and none of my needed paperwork EVER falls in a place where I could combine the visits.
So, it is never, ever easy. So, when the SD laws were implemented they were set to make it easier on those of us needing SDs. The problem is that perfectly healthy people who do not need an SD to go out in public in order toq have some faint semblance of a normal life are taking advantage of the law in order to scam the public, whilst we might have to add yet another set of hoops to try to drag our way through.

Far, far easier for people to act like decent human beings. I am under no illusions that we, the disabled, will soon have to prove yet again that we are indeed disabled and get to pay for the privilege (because those of us on fixed incomes have sooo much money to fritter away).

Do I seem frustrated and tired? Yes, because it is hard to be disabled and hard to have to go above and beyond because "normal" people think it is a lark to undeservedly take advantage of laws meant to make our lives easier. Shame on these people, but everyone knows that these types of people have no shame whatsoever.
I absolutely agree with your "shame in these people." It sounds like what is needed is a much simpler process all the way around. Obviously all doctor appointments can't be eliminated, but you shouldn't have to schedule an appointment every time some piece of paperwork needs filed. And it sounds like a much better system would be for a social worker or healthcare worker to come to YOU, at your house, to help take care of all the necessary forms.
Something will change, of that I'm sure. And it won't be a wave of guilt that causes the scammers to stop scamming. As the number of people who "need" service animals grows, I do think verification will become a requirement. And we all need to push for making that process as uncumbersome as possible for people like you.
Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I absolutely agree with your "shame in these people." It sounds like what is needed is a much simpler process all the way around. Obviously all doctor appointments can't be eliminated, but you shouldn't have to schedule an appointment every time some piece of paperwork needs filed. And it sounds like a much better system would be for a social worker or healthcare worker to come to YOU, at your house, to help take care of all the necessary forms.
Something will change, of that I'm sure. And it won't be a wave of guilt that causes the scammers to stop scamming. As the number of people who "need" service animals grows, I do think verification will become a requirement. And we all need to push for making that process as uncumbersome as possible for people like you.
Thank you for sharing your perspective.
How about a simple spot-checking process. If someone has an apparently bogus "service animal" interview the person. Ask him or her what their problems are. And givce them a ticket or citation of some kind if they appear bogus. Use common sense.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
How about a simple spot-checking process. If someone has an apparently bogus "service animal" interview the person. Ask him or her what their problems are. And givce them a ticket or citation of some kind if they appear bogus. Use common sense.
Because it is just not that easy. There are only certain things you can ask and/or request. If more people would just educate themselves on service animals (SAs) and emotional support animals (ESAs) it would avoid a lot of the misunderstandings and misconceptions. Knowledge is power.
https://www.animallaw.info/article/f...upport-animals
https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Not quite that simple.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, this whole 'service animal' thing is a reflection of the entitlement mentality in society today. The notion is that the rules and laws are for everyone else, but I'm special and "smart" enough to get around them by declaring my pet a service animal.

This has gotten to be a problem in condos, restaurants, apartments, airplanes and elsewhere where a majority of owners have decided to limit or restrict pets. Knowing the rules, some pet owners still insist on renting/buying and then rubbing the rules in the face of other owners/renters by calling theirs a "comfort pet."

There needs to be a definitive requirement for a service animal classification beyond simply having a letter from any doctor.
Yup, much of it appears to be the Snowflake mentality at work.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Because it is just not that easy. There are only certain things you can ask and/or request. If more people would just educate themselves on service animals (SAs) and emotional support animals (ESAs) it would avoid a lot of the misunderstandings and misconceptions. Knowledge is power.
https://www.animallaw.info/article/f...upport-animals
https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
I think people also need to educate themselves about what happens when different kinds of ESA's and service animals interact. Inter – animal interactions could get rather interesting and disruptive. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out why. People who do not use these kinds of animals have rights as well. Where have we gone as a society that ordinary people have no rights? The perception that ordinary people have no rights is exactly what got Donald Trump elected president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not quite that simple.
it should be that simple. If somebody insists on an exception to generally applicable rules there should be some way to determine whether or not they fit within those exceptions.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
I think people also need to educate themselves about what happens when different kinds of ESA's and service animals interact. Inter – animal interactions could get rather interesting and disruptive. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out why. People who do not use these kinds of animals have rights as well. Where have we gone as a society that ordinary people have no rights? The perception that ordinary people have no rights is exactly what got Donald Trump elected president.

I have not a clue what you mean or are trying to say with any of the above.

it should be that simple. If somebody insists on an exception to generally applicable rules there should be some way to determine whether or not they fit within those exceptions.
There are ways! That is exactly why I posted the links that I did above in my post #116. But it isn't going to do any good unless people actually read and educate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates