Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never been in a supermarket where someone offered to carry my groceries to the car. Where on earth does that happen?
It happens where I live in Texas all the time at our local chain grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 12:37 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And I get asked quite often in Los Angeles County at Ralphs, Albertsons, and Vons/Stater Bros.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:10 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And I get asked quite often in Los Angeles County at Ralphs, Albertsons, and Vons/Stater Bros.
Interesting. It's not a default thing in NJ, but we are more densely populated and faster-paced, so maybe that is why. However, a fellow New Jerseyan since pointed out to me that where she lives, they will help if you ask. That's good to know.

I hope never to be in that position, but one never knows.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:12 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Until their recent buy-out, The Fresh Market stores' cashiers always asked if the customer needed carry-out assistance. They had courtesy clerks bagging as well as doing carry-outs from open to close. Since the chain is considered higher-end, it makes sense to have that higher level of service. They no longer ask if you need help because they're usually not able to help if the answer is "yes"; the new owners have slashed the amount of help to a point that you're lucky to have more than one cashier open at any given time, much less a courtesy clerk available.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The person in front isn't obligated to let the person behind them go before them at all. It's nice if they do, but it isn't a case of should or shouldn't.
Agreed, I can't believe this is even a topic of discussion. The person in front of you is NOT obligated to allow you to go first.

This thread shows how our culture has changed. People are selfish and entitled now that they feel the person in front should automatically let them through if they have less items. Before it was a courtesy, now it is an obligation. If you asked this 20 years ago, everyone would understand that they are not entitled to go first just because they have less groceries.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:09 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
What kills me is when I am in a full service line and the cashier from the empty Express lane waves me over to her lane. Inevitably as she's ringing up my cartload of stuff, express lane customers walk up and have to wait in line. Makes me look like a d**k for going through the express lane with a cartload.
This!!! I appreciate it but I always get someone come as soon as my order starts and get the look of death. Most of the time I just refuse it now.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
The other day I was in check out, about 3 people back. The woman just stated to get checked out, putting her items on the counter, then she decided she needed to make a phone call. All wrapped up in the call, forgetting people are behind, some times stopping to concentrate on the call, just totally oblivious people are waiting behind her. I stand there biting my tongue. Years ago I would of been more vocal.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:58 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I saw this in the city water department, and wish it would be hung at every service counter nationwide.

"We know how important your phone call is to you. Therefore, we promise not to conduct any business with you until you have concluded your conversation and are fully able to focus on the issue you're here to address."

Old 01-08-2017, 12:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I saw this in the city water department, and wish it would be hung at every service counter nationwide.

"We know how important your phone call is to you. Therefore, we promise not to conduct any business with you until you have concluded your conversation and are fully able to focus on the issue you're here to address."
Not wearing headphones or ear buds should be included.

Customers wearing headphones or ear buds have come to my line to check out their groceries. I usually do not say much to them since I figure that want to be left alone.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Here's what bugs me lately...

As the cashier is scanning my groceries and bagging them, I'm putting them in my cart, I then turn around to get to the card scanner and the person behind me has moved up so close that I can't even get to it. I have actually had to say "could you back up please I need to get there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates