Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:45 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times

Advertisements

That 18 to 20% is based on check total.

There are servers that work just as hard in fast casual as fine dining, it just a different overall experience. A 20% tip on a $40 tab, I'm sure is as appreciated as a 20% on a $400 tab, it's just more money for a server at a higher level, in a higher level restaurant.

How about this, if you can't afford to tip, maybe you shouldn't be eating at a places that have waitstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Does the check total include tax? Why should one tip on tax?

How about this, if you want to tell others what to tip or whether to eat out, maybe you should lobby for a law. Until there is one, people have the right to do as they please and it's none of your business.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
That 18 to 20% is based on check total.

There are servers that work just as hard in fast casual as fine dining, it just a different overall experience. A 20% tip on a $40 tab, I'm sure is as appreciated as a 20% on a $400 tab, it's just more money for a server at a higher level, in a higher level restaurant.

How about this, if you can't afford to tip, maybe you shouldn't be eating at a places that have waitstaff.
Or take it to go and just pick it up at the counter? We do that quite a bit now when we do eat "out".

Old 11-11-2016, 05:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
There is no shortage of places where tipping is not expected. No one there will be surprised or stiffed if you fail to leave one. From what we've been told here, the food is really good at these places too. It makes you wonder why those who are opposed to servers and tips would ever eat anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

How about this, if you want to tell others what to tip or whether to eat out, maybe you should lobby for a law. Until there is one, people have the right to do as they please and it's none of your business.

By eating in a sit-down restaurant in the US, you are entering a social contract that is well-established. Tipping is not new, not an underground practice.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Springs1, the internet legend, is back!
A friend in America e-mailed me. I rushed over.............

Old 11-12-2016, 11:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Yeah, I think I gotta agree with the overall gist of the past few pages (keeping in mind, I'm set to 30 posts per page, not just 10 ).....

If it's a 3 to 5-star restaurant, then perhaps servers have their place.

If it's a place like Denny's, IHOP, Apple Bees, or some roadside diner... then some patrons would rather save the 20% surcharge and just go elsewhere. Do these places even get a star?

Comments about keeping the walkways clear is a preference thing. Counter service eateries have gotten by just fine without servers, and people walking up to get their food.

"If you can't pay tip, then you shouldn't eat out"... well, because tips aren't mandatory, for better or for worse, folks are free to skip it. Me... I have choices, I can usually find a non-tipping restaurant, so I'll just do that. Seems to be no loss, as they should for the most part have enough other patrons.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:57 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

No....unless someone lives under a rock they'd know you're not expected to tip on the tax, but if you're talking about a paltry 15-20% on the 5% tax then it is negligible anyway.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:27 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
While no rule here will apply to everyone, most people do seem to tip on the basis of the bottom line. Depending on location, there may be multiple layers of tax added to the bill, but the whole thing is a ballpark exercise in any case. If pocket change actually made a difference, it might have been better to stay at home and nuke a Swanson's Hungry-Man platter in the first place.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No....unless someone lives under a rock they'd know you're not expected to tip on the tax, but if you're talking about a paltry 15-20% on the 5% tax then it is negligible anyway.
I'll have to check to be sure but I'm pretty sure the receipts and payment terminals that "help you out" by showing amounts for typical tip percentages are basing it on the entire total. Around here, food tax is 9%. No, the difference isn't major but it's one more thing leading to "tip inflation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates