Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If we did a better job of keeping illegal aliens out of our country to begin with, we wouldn't need more judges and we wouldn't need to overhaul our courts.
Not possible. We are not a Hermit Kingdom. We do a lot of international business. Foreign students attend our best colleges.

You get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 PM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not possible. We are not a Hermit Kingdom. We do a lot of international business. Foreign students attend our best colleges.

You get the picture.
I think your suggestion about more immigration judges and courts its a good one. Although, even that would not solve the problem. I've remained silent until now because I've wanted to read the replies.

Immigration is an issue, for many, where emotion rules over logic. We know that most illegal immigration would not be stopped by a wall because it is the result of people coming into this country and not going home when their visa expires. Also, those of us in the legal profession know there is a huge backlog of immigration cases and illegal immigrants literally sit at home waiting years for a case to be called. Yet, you have many here determined to have a wall because it is a powerful symbol to them.

Immigrants do take some jobs from citizens. However, many if not most of the jobs they take are jobs that Americans either don't want or would only work if there were substantial changes in wages and working conditions. Employers are always going to have an incentive to hire illegals, so long as they need certain jobs done and have a native labor force that doesn't want to do that work. When Americans stop wanting cheap products and food than we can begin to have a serious discussion about curtailing illegal immigration. I don't see that happening in the near future.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,609,393 times
Quote:

You get the picture.

Foreign students here on a visa are not the problem. They came in legally, not over a wall. The problem is illegal aliens.

Do you get the picture?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Foreign students here on a visa are not the problem. They came in legally, not over a wall. The problem is illegal aliens.

Do you get the picture?
Yes. But many "students" never attend classes, and stay.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times
Too late, stare decisis.............the courts have issued past-rulings granting citizenship to anyone born on American soil.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,707,126 times
Line up the CEO's outside a courtroom with orange uniforms and handcuffs visible. Ask them under oath if they use illegal labor or suspect a third party that they hire does. Ask them if they use E-Verify and check it every year.

3 out of 4 American CEOs would be heading to jail. But since Money is God to Trumpies, this will have to be blamed on the starving masses trying to make things better for their families

Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Too late, stare decisis.............the courts have issued past-rulings granting citizenship to anyone born on American soil.
Maybe they can declare Russia a beligerent and stop the thousands of anchor babies being delivered in Miami? Soon we won't have to worry about Russia since we will just be part of their working class.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:20 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,185,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You wish our government would emulate a authoritarian communist dictator?
It already did with FDR locking up 110,000 Japanese-Americans in 1942. Then toss in what the traitors within the government are doing now against President Trump now.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It already did with FDR locking up 110,000 Japanese-Americans in 1942. Then toss in what the traitors within the government are doing now against President Trump now.
I don't like FDR for much of anything, including holding internees. In very faint defense though I think that immigrant enclaves that keep to themselves and don't adopt American language and culture are running a risk, particularly in time of war.

I am curious, were Japanese families living outside of quasi-segregated enclaves interned?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:13 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,219,072 times
Default No, no, no

Quote:
Deluged Immigration Courts, Where Cases Stall for Years, Begin to Buckle

The function of the immigration system fundamentally is to ensure that people who belong in the U.S. live here unmolested and to send back people who don't belong here. Donald Trump made a major campaign issue over the number of people here illegally, estimated to be around 11 million people. Mr. Trump's politically attractive solution was to "build a wall" along the Mexican border. The problem is that it is easy to get into the U.S., a free country legally. Staying legally is another issue. Threads have focused on the problem of "anchor babies," see No More Anchor Babies?? , a thread I started, Solution for Problem of "14th Amendment" Birthright Babies, and the wall. My personal preference is to give mothers a choice of returning to their countries of origin with the babies or leaving without them, thereby terminating their parental rights.

But none of this deals with the real problem; returning people who are here illegally in a prompt manner so that they can't sink deep roots into their communities, or simply disappear. As the article I linked at the top of the OP states, the immigration court system is badly broken. Basically, nothing moves. What is needed is a big surge of hiring of immigration judges and judges to handle appeals. The system has to work in a manner that cases are heard within weeks, not years. And the writ of the courts must be enforced. If coming here illegally is futile, people won't bother. If the word on the street is that the system is toothless, they will come, Trump or no Trump.

In short, there is no cheap solution. We must fund the immigration court system. Generously.

I wasted almost seven years of my life working as an immigration officer. I processed hundreds of overstays, all who had private attorneys. A reasonably competent attorney can keep an immigration case going for years. There are not enough immigration prisons available to house 11 or 12 million people so most of these evaders are released into society and probably will not show up for their immigration hearing or self deport. Forget the judicial system. It does not work and can never work. Just too many illegal aliens in the US.

The USA needs to do two things to get control of the situation. Every citizen is issued and is required to carry a national biometric identity card, and the E-verify system needs to be implemented nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates