Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Good. Thank you. Please keep spreading the word that North Carolina is "crappy." Maybe then people from other parts of the country will stop moving here in droves.
Moving there in droves? I have news: NC is not California. Nor even WA. People don't move there in droves. For one thing, there's not the huge job base, and though it has beaches, they're prone to hurricane emergencies, and they're humid. (Not that that ever stopped people from moving to FL in droves...) But if it helps you to feel better about your state to believe that hordes are stampeding to get in, well, whatever.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,299,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You're over thinking this. Trump went after the anti PC crowd, who have been stiffed over by the global economy and otherwise no longer seeing establishment candidates working in their best interests.
Trump voters took Trump seriously but not literally. Hillary voters did the opposite.

Being a recent college grad in this economy isn't much of an advantage. It simply means you're unemployed and in debt.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...?client=safari

The difference is high school educated blue collar workers have had enough and want a change, while recent college grads are too young to know any better.
I don't believe I am 'over-thinking' it. I do believe your answer is too simplistic. The PC thing just fanned the flames of those already angry about their lot in life, the economic recovery in which they haven't partaken and a president they dislike.

The college grads problem of finding no employment (at all) is also a recent phenomenon for a number of reasons. And, frankly, when I graduated from college there was a raging recession, my liberal arts degree got me nowhere and so I waited tables for a few years and traveled around. Even when the economy picked up, I had to go learn a few more real skills to get a decent job. I don't see this happening now much, and if you major in something practical (math, science, nursing, physical therapy, engineering, there are, in fact, jobs).

In any event, it is fairly well established that a college degree provides you more opportunity and a shot at better income. Those who are college-educated, fully employed and comfortable, would have been a lot less likely to vote for Trump. Whereas, those seeking low-skill, high wage jobs are probably among the angry and disillusioned so would have wanted a change and a president who claimed he can bring those jobs back (sans unions). These two groups view Trump very differently.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/me...ty-in-2014.htm

Old 01-01-2017, 02:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,976,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Moving there in droves? I have news: NC is not California. Nor even WA. People don't move there in droves. For one thing, there's not the huge job base, and though it has beaches, they're prone to hurricane emergencies, and they're humid. (Not that that ever stopped people from moving to FL in droves...) But if it helps you to feel better about your state to believe that hordes are stampeding to get in, well, whatever.
I've already answered this, but yes they are moving to NC in droves, humidity be damned. NC's economy is thriving. The research triangle is a major attraction for jobs https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle
Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing city in the US and the country's 2nd largest banking center behind New York. But if it makes you feel better that it's just poor tobacco farmers, well, whatever...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char...North_Carolina

Old 01-01-2017, 02:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times
Quote:
Carl Icahn is a wealthy philanthropist who's advising Trump most likely on trying to figure out how to keep companies in the US. He's owned hundreds of companies so he probably has some insight. I think its a bit of a jump to assume we're going to start dumping industrial sewage in the river.

Yeah hundreds of companies he bought and stripped apart. He all but killed TWA in the early 1990's even before Flight 800 blew up in 1996. He did that with RJ Reynolds as well in the 1980's. Marvel Comics too during their 1990's turmoil as well. Need I say more?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't believe I am 'over-thinking' it. I do believe your answer is too simplistic. The PC thing just fanned the flames of those already angry about their lot in life, the economic recovery in which they haven't partaken and a president they dislike.

The college grads problem of finding no employment (at all) is also a recent phenomenon for a number of reasons. And, frankly, when I graduated from college there was a raging recession, my liberal arts degree got me nowhere and so I waited tables for a few years and traveled around. Even when the economy picked up, I had to go learn a few more real skills to get a decent job. I don't see this happening now much, and if you major in something practical (math, science, nursing, physical therapy, engineering, there are, in fact, jobs).

In any event, it is fairly well established that a college degree provides you more opportunity and a shot at better income. Those who are college-educated, fully employed and comfortable, would have been a lot less likely to vote for Trump. Whereas, those seeking low-skill, high wage jobs are probably among the angry and disillusioned so would have wanted a change and a president who claimed he can bring those jobs back (sans unions). These two groups view Trump very differently.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/me...ty-in-2014.htm
I have an engineering degree, so I'm well aware of what a practical degree can achieve. I know people who have both student debt and no job as well. The entire country can't be white collar. There's 330 million of us. If Germany can figure out how to respect and reward their blue collar workers there's no reason we can't.

I have the unique perspective of being a blue collar military guy who's moved into a white collar engineering position at a major manufacturer and benificiary of the global economy. I also realize that's entirely possible to be outsourced in the name of globalization. If you think Silicon Valley can't be outsourced think again. Apparently the Russians are better at hacking than we are despite inventing the internet and smartphones.

In a country this big you can't ignore the working class and expect to get elected. That's the bottom line.
The PC thing is a bonus. It's gotten ridiculous and it's a liability to anybody who embraces it.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Yeah hundreds of companies he bought and stripped apart. He all but killed TWA in the early 1990's even before Flight 800 blew up in 1996. He did that with RJ Reynolds as well in the 1980's. Marvel Comics too during their 1990's turmoil as well. Need I say more?
There was apparently a market for stripping companies but what does that have to do with us?
Did you work for TWA or Marvel or something?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times
Quote:
There was apparently a market for stripping companies but what does that have to do with us?
Did you work for TWA or Marvel or something?
Marvel Comics fan. I know former TWA and RJR workers. One of which voted Trump.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Marvel Comics fan. I know former TWA and RJR workers. One of which voted Trump.
Well that's cool.
But Marvel's still around isn't? It's not really a bad omen for the future is it?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,299,514 times
Quote:
I have an engineering degree, so I'm well aware of what a practical degree can achieve. I know people who have both student debt and no job as well. The entire country can't be white collar. There's 330 million of us. If Germany can figure out how to respect and reward their blue collar workers there's no reason we can't.

In a country this big you can't ignore the working class and expect to get elected. That's the bottom line.
The PC thing is a bonus. It's gotten ridiculous and it's a liability to anybody who embraces it.
Yes and it takes investment paid for by corporations and the state (higher taxes and less corporate greed). So far, some states are working towards that. Good luck getting any governments other than high-income, high-tax states to pay for it. Americans do not like investing in any education and probably will not pay for more, even if it results in better blue-collar jobs.

"..In the United States, the German model is slowly catching on. Eleven states, including Massachusetts, Virginia and California, are trying to introduce on-the-job training for students in some schools..."

"...So where’s the rub? Why is it likely to be hard for Americans to transplant the German model? It starts with cost. Each German company has a different way of calculating the bill, but the figures range from $25,000 per apprentice to more than $80,000. It’s likely to be more expensive still in the U.S., where firms will have to build programs from scratch, pay school tuition (in Germany, the state pays), and in many cases funnel money into local high schools and community colleges to transform them into effective training partners..."

'Blue-collar aristocrats' thrive in German economy

Why Germany Is So Much Better at Training Its Workers - The Atlantic

Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes and it takes investment paid for by corporations and the state (higher taxes and less corporate greed). So far, some states are working towards that. Good luck getting any governments other than high-income, high-tax states to pay for it. Americans do not like investing in any education and probably will not pay for more, even if it results in better blue-collar jobs.

"..In the United States, the German model is slowly catching on. Eleven states, including Massachusetts, Virginia and California, are trying to introduce on-the-job training for students in some schools..."

"...So where’s the rub? Why is it likely to be hard for Americans to transplant the German model? It starts with cost. Each German company has a different way of calculating the bill, but the figures range from $25,000 per apprentice to more than $80,000. It’s likely to be more expensive still in the U.S., where firms will have to build programs from scratch, pay school tuition (in Germany, the state pays), and in many cases funnel money into local high schools and community colleges to transform them into effective training partners..."

'Blue-collar aristocrats' thrive in German economy

Why Germany Is So Much Better at Training Its Workers - The Atlantic
Aside from all that, Germany employs a lot of protectionism from foreign imports.
It's important for us to properly leverage their strengths while being critical of their weaknesses.
What Germany can teach us though is eliminating blue collar jobs is not the answer. They use them as strengths, not deem them "deplorable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.