Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 AM

752 posts, read 1,492,851 times

Advertisements

It would never work here, at least not under our current society and conditions. It worked relatively well in China because not only are they an authoritarian regime where its people defer much more to authority and less likely to question it than say in the US---also, with around 900 million people back in the 1970s, when their one-child policy was in use (it was ended in 2015), they felt they had a serious population vs. resource problem. While China now has over one billion people, their one-child policy likely did help reduce the growth rate over a generation by a significant degree.

Here in America, such a policy would never fly, even if we had a dire overpopulation problem. Our society simply is just not conducive to such a decree and I seriously doubt any such law would ever get passed through the Supreme Court when challenged, which we know it inevitably would be if it ever managed to be signed into law in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Most experts agree that world population will level off and even decline. The world will never be over-populated.
U.S. birth rate has already declined. But the MSM of course does not acknowledge this. It's more fun to fear monger and create fake news.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:05 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
How is it that China has managed to do so without a revolution or collapsing? As far as who is targeted and what the punishments are, say they are the same as in China.
This question is essentially nonsensical.

Such a policy would require substantial popular and political support to be enacted and implemented. It has essentially no popular or political support.

Such a policy would be blatantly unconstitutional in myriad ways that would never survive court challenges.

The United States that could do such a thing bears no resemblance to the United States that actually exists, so asking what would happen if the United States of reality were to have a one-child policy is a question that simply has no meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
U.S. birth rate has already declined. But the MSM of course does not acknowledge this. It's more fun to fear monger and create fake news.
You are detached from reality.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-birth...e-the-economy/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/fertili...ry?id=41233697

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/11/health...ertility-rate/

Old 12-31-2016, 07:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
What would be the likely outcome if there was a one-child policy in the U.S like in China? Would people revolt? Would it help things?
China doesn't have a one child policy anymore. The main reason was because it was causing a gender imbalance in favor of sons, which was causing a number of negative sociological and biological effects the Chinese government never anticipated. As for the outcome in the US, I don't think it would be as widespread as China because the American population isn't growing much at all, even without legal restrictions on birthrate. It is barely increasing, as fewer couples are having kids and couples have fewer children than they once did.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:43 AM

389 posts, read 329,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Gotta have warm bodies for its military someday!
That policy backfired in more ways than one. China was heavily geared to have children provide care and assistance for aging parents in extended families. People depended on it. The one child policy makes that very difficult.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you want to decrease the birth rate in America it would be a more successful project if people were paid MONEY to not produce babies. Money speaks volumes in America more than anything else and if people are being paid to not have babies then nobody would be in any position to revolt about anything.

Interesting idea....a monthly check that ENDS at the birth of a child. However, that raises the ethical issues of knowingly allowing kids to be deprived of nutrition and adequate care for the purpose of "punishing" the parents. We can say that if the parents don't care then why should we...but I really don't think Americans would be truly up for that, no matter how disparagingly they speak of the poor.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:17 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
What would be the likely outcome if there was a one-child policy in the U.S like in China? Would people revolt? Would it help things?
What is there to help? We need a young society, so a 1 child policy isn't helpful.

How people would react would be with a lot of anger I suspect. Our government would have no business dictating how people choose to live their lives on that level! I is just unfathomable that this sort of law would ever be enacted, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
What is there to help? We need a young society, so a 1 child policy isn't helpful.

How people would react would be with a lot of anger I suspect. Our government would have no business dictating how people choose to live their lives on that level! I is just unfathomable that this sort of law would ever be enacted, at least not in the foreseeable future.
Are you sure? China had a very good reason to enact such a law- population control. The government enacts laws in our lives for all sorts of reasons, including laws that control our reproductive lives (i.e. Texas government closing most of our abortion clinics, fetal ultrasound laws, ethics committees regarding euthanasia of babies and fetuses, banning female circumcision here, etc. . .) Even though the law was ultimately a failure, there was a very good reason it was implemented in the first place, and if China wasn't such a sexist country, it might have succeeded.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Make that number "two kids per family" instead of one and I think the working nation would go along with it. The exception would be those who think it proper for the rest of us to care for their large broods. Religious groups who believe in large families (LDS is one, I think) might also object.

I believe at some point, probably not in my lifetime, that the USA will have to enforce some type of population control.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 12-31-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 10:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It won't work in the US, but if it did, hopefully we can keep the dumbest and lowest contributors of society from out breeding the most successful ones.
That's what Planned Parenthood is for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates