Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

I work in the fine dining industry, so I can easily find a great chef to make something fantastic out of the words so many of you are going to be eating.

A few months ago I had a thread that took heat for one typo, but also for the idea. No one wanted to believe it. Well, here is that (now locked) thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...m-will-go.html

Well guess what? Trump won (barely) and the people of California have a petition to SECEDE (right grammar that time) that should be on the ballot. And guess what? EVEN SOME ELECTED OFFICIALS AGREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L511Ydz0riw

And this is BEFORE HE EVEN TAKES OFFICE. I thought the Northwest would be the epicenter of this, but it turns out it is California that will lead the charge. But of course "Cascadia" is following suite, which is great. Why?

Because WHILE I AGREE that secession will not happen anytime soon, I do see devolution happening, and regional devolution is the most likely scenario. I mean, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada from working together on issues, forming a count development bang, forming an agreement to pass parallel laws for things like environmental protection that Trump will seek to abolish etc. And there is NOTHING THE PRESIDENT CAN DO TO STOP STATES FROM WORKING TOGETHER.

Just as the EU was created slowly, I think we will see a new country forming slowly out of the entire West Coast. And it cannot possibly be argued that California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada could not easily make it on their own. This new nation which may as well be called "Pacifica" will be bigger than any country in Europe but Russia and have a GDP of about 3.1 trillion...now lets just say that gets cut by a third from ending federal funding, just for the sake of argument. That would still mean it would have a GDP the same as Australia.

It will either be A) Trump is impeached or quits and Pence serves one term of B) devolution happens and slowly the west coast begins its slow but unstoppable movement to break away from "Redneckistan." I am hopeful that happens. Why? Because I am tired of sharing a government with people I share nothing else with. Let's be honest: what does a socially liberal, tattooed, pot smoking follower of esoteric (Gnostic) Christianity who never wants kids have in common with kind of people who typically vote conservative? We in Blueland are different from those in Redland and a divorce is long overdue.

And if there are Reds in our states and Blues in others who don't want to split up, we can easily cross migrate during the Devolution years...hell, that is already happening: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Sort-Clus.../dp/B0085476J6

So in light of my correct prediction, do you see this as a likely outcome?

And please, DON'T BRING UP THE CIVIL WAR! That is NOT what I am describing. Did the South work together and slowly devolve and sign referendums etc over the course of a couple of decades? No. I am talking about slow, orderly movement of people who can't stand one another slowly going their separate ways, not a war.

And yes, I take great pleasure in posting this pic:

Last edited by victorianpunk; 12-28-2016 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 04:09 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
You want some cheese with that whine? As long as the country stands it will never happen.The Feds will never relinquish control......

Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
If you think it can't, won't or shouldn't happen here I would remind you of what the founding fathers had to say about the issue:

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

My hope is that we have not reached the point where our differences are irreconcilable and there will not be a need for these United States to dissolve the nation and create two or more new countries.

Last edited by zugor; 12-29-2016 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
It could happen.... Enough ppl are mad about this!!

Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Don't let the door..

Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I work in the fine dining industry, so I can easily find a great chef to make something fantastic out of the words so many of you are going to be eating.

A few months ago I had a thread that took heat for one typo, but also for the idea. No one wanted to believe it. Well, here is that (now locked) thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...m-will-go.html

Well guess what? Trump won (barely) and the people of California have a petition to SECEDE (right grammar that time) that should be on the ballot. And guess what? EVEN SOME ELECTED OFFICIALS AGREE!

And this is BEFORE HE EVEN TAKES OFFICE. I thought the Northwest would be the epicenter of this, but it turns out it is California that will lead the charge. But of course "Cascadia" is following suite, which is great. Why?

Because WHILE I AGREE that secession will not happen anytime soon, I do see devolution happening, and regional devolution is the most likely scenario. I mean, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada from working together on issues, forming a count development bang, forming an agreement to pass parallel laws for things like environmental protection that Trump will seek to abolish etc. And there is NOTHING THE PRESIDENT CAN DO TO STOP STATES FROM WORKING TOGETHER.

Just as the EU was created slowly, I think we will see a new country forming slowly out of the entire West Coast. And it cannot possibly be argued that California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada could not easily make it on their own. This new nation which may as well be called "Pacifica" will be bigger than any country in Europe but Russia and have a GDP of about 3.1 trillion...now lets just say that gets cut by a third from ending federal funding, just for the sake of argument. That would still mean it would have a GDP the same as Australia.

It will either be A) Trump is impeached or quits and Pence serves one term of B) devolution happens and slowly the west coast begins its slow but unstoppable movement to break away from "Redneckistan." I am hopeful that happens. Why? Because I am tired of sharing a government with people I share nothing else with. Let's be honest: what does a socially liberal, tattooed, pot smoking follower of esoteric (Gnostic) Christianity who never wants kids have in common with kind of people who typically vote conservative? We in Blueland are different from those in Redland and a divorce is long overdue.
Good riddance. I've been hoping the west coast whack nuts would leave this country.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Meh.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
If Trump wins, successionism will go mainstream

Define "mainstream" in this context. I've only seen a few kooks talking about it seriously. Most people know it's a joke.

Don't get me wrong, there would've been talk of secession in Texas if Hillary had won (barely) and that would've had a snowball's chance too.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
A major problem with the presented scenario is the inclusion of ALL of those states.
There is a quiet movement in Washington to separate into two states. The Eastern half or 2/3rds of the state are tired of the West having so much power.
The same applies to California. The folks in the Northern half (or more) of the state are fed up with the Southerners.
Oregon has an East/West split, also.
Nevada, too; Las Vegas does not represent much of the rest of the state.
Idaho has both; a bit of North/South split, and in the Southern part of the state, a little East/West split.
Montana has the Mountain West and the High Plains East.
In the event a secession movement gained traction, would the divisions become more visible or less visible? I don't know, but it would be interesting!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Define "mainstream" in this context. I've only seen a few kooks talking about it seriously. Most people know it's a joke.

Don't get me wrong, there would've been talk of secession in Texas if Hillary had won (barely) and that would've had a snowball's chance too.
Although Texas can split in to up to five states if it wishes. That was part of the annexation agreement back in the 1840s.

Oh. California is not going to secede, nor is Texas, and those other states won't split up either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates