Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 AM

516 posts, read 429,632 times

Advertisements

I have read a ton of threads on here that contain an enormous amount of substance related to cell phones in the workplace, cell phones at home and our overall inability to just "unplug" from technology, for better or worse.

What really annoys me to the core is when people say that back before cell phones we got by just fine. In my mind, with that logic, should humanity be able to get by just fine without electricity or vehicles or planes? I believe advances in technology improve our quality of life and therefore humanity in general is entitled to enjoy and use said advances.

I feel I would "get by" just fine without my phone or computer and Internet. However I know I would have massive anxiety without it. I would more than likely behave like someone quitting tobacco cold turkey, until I got over it. Just the way I am.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
I carry a flip phone for "in case" use. I use it mostly to check the time as I no longer wear a watch. My wife on the other hand has a smart phone and would be lost without the constant texts and checking pics of the grandchildren.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I carry a flip phone for "in case" use. I use it mostly to check the time as I no longer wear a watch. My wife on the other hand has a smart phone and would be lost without the constant texts and checking pics of the grandchildren.
That's how I am. It's like my vice.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Modern society is always fine IN THAT MOMENT with how society is at that time. Before there was electricity, vehicles, industrialization, smartphones, the internet.

Before the invention of any of these things, we didn't know they existed, so we couldn't miss something that didn't exist yet, so we were happy and got by just fine with however society was back then.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Need more feedback

Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Tech @ human scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
I have read a ton of threads on here that contain an enormous amount of substance related to cell phones in the workplace, cell phones at home and our overall inability to just "unplug" from technology, for better or worse.

What really annoys me to the core is when people say that back before cell phones we got by just fine. In my mind, with that logic, should humanity be able to get by just fine without electricity or vehicles or planes? I believe advances in technology improve our quality of life and therefore humanity in general is entitled to enjoy and use said advances.

I feel I would "get by" just fine without my phone or computer and Internet. However I know I would have massive anxiety without it. I would more than likely behave like someone quitting tobacco cold turkey, until I got over it. Just the way I am.

What do you think?
before cell phones - Well, yah, we did prosper without them. The proof is - Here we are. & many people - I'm not sure of the % of penetration of cell phone ownership in the World - still do just fine without one.

without electricity or vehicles or planes? - Yep again, for the same reason. & just like the cell phone - many people do without these due to necessity. Or they simply can't afford the critters. Or the infrastructure isn't there, or the roads, or the airports. There are lots of reasons, really.

advances in technology improve our quality of life - Yah, you would hope so. But TV - commercial TV, @ least - seems mostly interested in selling us stuff, or more bluntly, selling (or renting) eyeballs to the sponsors. Really, I'm down to watching Jeopardy, The Daily Show, the first 15 minutes or so of the local news (less if they get stupid faster than usual). I'll flip around on the TV if I've read the paper, tire of reading my current book, caught up on household stuff. But I'm losing interest in The Daily Show - it's probably just me, getting cranky & impatient. I'm not as patient as I used to be.

humanity in general is entitled - Historically, that hasn't been true. We may yet get there, but the notion of entitlement is a hard sell in the US - here it's generally whatever the traffic will bear. If whatever-it-is is marketable @ a profit to someone or some agency, then maybe it'll fly. Otherwise, tech gets sidetracked to Never-Neverland, or to universities, to see if a way can be found to make it pay (like radio & TV, which went the university route until some bright lad figured out a way to make it pay - & how!)

Old 01-04-2017, 03:43 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I'd have a tough time going without fire. Do you want to ditch all of technology or just smartphones and the internet?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:34 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Ineptness can be endearing, but it's anti-survival

I carried a cell when I was driving long distances in the Southwest. Cells make sense for that application, & first responders, neurosurgeons, people who actually need to be on call - when circumstances dictate. Otherwise, a lot of the conversations I half-hear are Did we see that movie? What did you want from the grocery? & so on. Hardly earth-shaking content.

I think technology can be helpful, yes. But humans are the decision-makers in the loop, not the tech itself, nor the corporates trying to sell us services/tech. My favorite Seinfield episode: the gang is out in the boonies, in the winter, in a blizzard, car's dead, no cell coverage. They get to a cabin they've borrowed. It's stocked with canned food, fireplace, wood. No matches, no can opener, no electricity. They have an axe to hand - but aren't clever enough to open the cans nor strike sparks with the axe. I never laughed so hard.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
I've been directly involved in personal computer technology since its inception in the 1970's and with the internet since it emerged out of 'Mosaic' in the 1980's. I've watched and been involved in the changes in business and in homes - and in reflecting back now (in retirement) have a few observations:

1) People have vastly more information available at their fingertips than ever before. They know more about technology and a wider range of things than their ancestors. But, people aren't really any smarter or wiser than they ever were. On the contrary, we've become so dependent on technology that people have largely forgotten how to think and engage in worthwhile activities.

2). Interpersonal communications have also suffered. Rather than talk with one another, people text abbreviated messages or send emails and tweets. In any social setting or gathering, a large percentage of people stare blankly at their phone screens, rather than talking with one another. Prior to technology, people were 'forced' to talk with one another and work things out based on the information at-hand.

3). Today, a vast number of our jobs and daily endeavors are focused on passing, massaging and re-stating information, rather than actually doing, building, creating or making things happen. Our children learn what they see and, from an early age, emulate the information-shuffling they see around them.

I'm not sure that the "Leave it to Beaver" or "Father knows Best" lives depicted on 1950's and 1960's television reliably reflected the society and life, but things certainly seemed much simpler. Even with information and knowledge available everywhere, society, the media, politicians and common people seem to have lost a sense of truth -- Instead, they cling to post-modern relativism and politically correct notions of right or truth.

People themselves probably haven't changed much since ancient times. Oh they wear different clothes, eat different food, drive different vehicles and have different technology, but, underneath it all, people are the same. We may feel more enlightened and sophisticated, but so did the ancients --- "When everything was up to date in Kansas City"

Last edited by jghorton; 01-04-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Yes, humanity did just fine. reason being, humanity was fed false goals. Humanity was told that never ending activity is good. That you have to spend your LIFE always looking for something to do. Achieve a goal. This and that.
Why??? Nothing of those "achievements" really matter and ever made anyone happy. When the time comes.
OP, it all goes towards your life philosophy. If you follow materialistic philosophy - well, there is nothing that can be done for you, it is what it is.
If you follow idealistic philosophy, spiritual path - then why worry about things of no importance indeed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates