Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You really need to dig a little deeper:

Doctors got $84M from drug companies - The San Diego Union-Tribune

For example, two San Diego doctors top the list of recipients of drug money for the nation. Dr. Sanjiv Narayan and his wife, Dr. Sujata Narayan, co-founded a private, venture-backed medical device company and received $54.8 million when it was bought out by Abbott Laboratories in December 2014.

Yup...they got a lot of money...by selling their company - here's more info:
Topera Medical: The Legend of Sanjiv Narayan | NEA | New Enterprise Associates

This is in large part a credit to co-founder Sanjiv Narayan, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Medicine at UCSD. (Stay classy, San Diego!) Dr. Narayan is a practicing cardiovascular electrophysiologist who also has a doctorate in neuroscience and a master’s degree in software engineering. He is that uniquely situated individual who, out of intellectual curiosity and compassion for his patients, committed to apply his years of postdoctoral study and insight into resolving the complex electrical signaling associated with EEGs of the brain to the complex and chaotic electrical patterns associated with atrial fibrillation in the heart.

Over the course of several years of collecting electrograms from his patients, he wrote and tested and rewrote and retested his own software code that analyzes complex rhythms of the heart and resolves them into 3-D representation of the dynamic, localized electrical activity of cardiac tissue.
Well, I can count on you guys to dig deeper, thanks.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 PM

LONG LIST of drugs prescribed and payments to this doctor.

https://projects.propublica.org/docd...ors/pid/250349

Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Anyone can and will correct me but this doctor TO ME made close to $44M including speaking engagements and drugs in 2014

https://projects.propublica.org/docd...ors/pid/281659

Political doctors.
How is that doctor "political"? He used specialized expertise to develop new technology. Should he not reap any financial reward from what he invented?

Quote:
LONG LIST of drugs prescribed and payments to this doctor.

https://projects.propublica.org/docd...ors/pid/250349
You still do not get it, do you?

That is not a list of "drugs prescribed".

Most of what he got paid for was talking to other doctors about drugs. Some of it was for (modest) meals at about $23 average a pop.

Do you believe teachers should be paid? If he leaves town to give a speech, his office overhead does not stop, by the way. He still has to keep the lights on and pay his staff.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Ok Look at the drug Contrave on this list by the above Raskin MD, and it says payments of $16,000+ not $23 or so. Explain that to me. As I am thinking this out, could it be this is how much he was paid each time he got a new patient on the drug. Pharmacy would report all scripts written by that doc to the drug mfg? If it's not a list of drugs the doctor has prescribed, then what is the list PLEASE.

Do you see the long list I'm talking about..even Synthroid is listed.

YES, teachers should be paid but this is about payments made to doctors by drug companies.

Many of the drugs I have no clue what they are used for and looking at Contrave it's a new weight loss drug.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:37 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Ok Look at the drug Contrave on this list by the above Raskin MD, and it says payments of $16,000+ not $23 or so. Explain that to me. As I am thinking this out, could it be this is how much he was paid each time he got a new patient on the drug. Pharmacy would report all scripts written by that doc to the drug mfg? If it's not a list of drugs the doctor has prescribed, then what is the list PLEASE.

YES, teachers should be paid but this is about payments made to doctors by drug companies.

Many of the drugs I have no clue what they are used for and looking at Contrave it's a new weight loss drug.
Just read the entire listing!

Types of Payments in 2015

CATEGORY:
PROMOTIONAL SPEAKING/OTHER: 19 payments, total $27,198
TRAVEL AND LODGING: 26 payments, total $6,953
FOOD AND BEVERAGE: 218 payments, total $5,016
CONSULTING:11 payments, total $1,446
EDUCATION: 4 payments, total $87

The larger amounts for Contrave are for teaching other doctors how to use it: speaker fees and travel reimbursement. It's right there on the page. Dr. Raskin is being paid to teach. He gets paid a little over $1400 to give a talk, plus expenses if he travels to do it. That $1400 helps offset what he does not make because he is out of the office and not seeing patients.

The small amounts are probably food brought by drug reps when they detail products or meals served where he is teaching or perhaps listening to others teach.

The payments are not for starting patients on the drug! Nowhere on the website does it say or imply that. It is just what you want to believe.

Very few doctors are going to do as much teaching as he does. It's a niche for him. He also appears on media a lot. Perhaps his affinity for speaking and for the camera is understandable. He was a child actor - on Eight is Enough, among others.

Child Actor Plays Career Role as an Internist | MD Magazine

"And since there are times when he misses that aspect of his career, he channels that 'acting bug' into sharing his knowledge and experience with a broader audience.

'I didn’t hire a public relations company because I need more patients,' he explains. 'I wanted to be able to use the skills I have, whether that’s in articles online, or being asked by Entertainment Tonight to comment on celebrity addicts. I’m using my skills as a doctor to promote myself as a speaker and communicator.' ”

That's why drug companies hire him: he knows how to communicate.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:

Why do you need it explained to you?

Your own link says what it's for. Suzy is right. At the institute I work for we have dozens of internal collaborations, conferences, poster sessions, etc in a given year. People are getting put up in hotels, travel, food, etc. His highest single payment is like $2500. That's nothing. My company pays more than that when I travel to a conference as an attendee, let alone a lecturer or presenter.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Interesting article that came out back in July about cancer patients in Spain in a study taking immunotherapy drugs, Keytruda, Opdivo and Tecentriq, and a handful of people in the study had their gray hair be replaced with dark brown or black hair.

Cancer patients' grey hair unexpectedly darkens in drug study

While most patients did not have a hair colour change, the 14 cases suggest it is not an isolated finding. In 13 patients, hair turned darkish brown or black; in one patient, it turned black in patches. All but one of the 14 patients in the Spanish study responded better to treatment than other patients, suggesting that hair darkening might be an indication that the drugs are working, the researchers said.

Rivera noted that the drugs used in the study had serious side effects that made them unsafe for healthy people. But if it is confirmed that they do change hair colour, a different drug could be developed to treat grey hair, she said.

The pharmaceutical industry has previously capitalised on unexpected drug side effects. Examples include the male pattern baldness drug Propecia, the eyelash growing drug Latisse, and Botox anti-wrinkle injections. Active ingredients in these drugs were initially approved to treat enlarged prostates, eye pressure problems, and eye muscle spasms.

I guess all drug side effects can't be considered negative, unless you really, really love grey hair!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Yes, lots of times hair grown in a different color or texture after chemo.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, lots of times hair grown in a different color or texture after chemo.
Yeah, I've heard of people going from straight to curly hair after chemo, but never total grey and lack of pigment, back to color again.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:57 AM

9,854 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Rivera noted that the drugs used in the study had serious side effects that made them unsafe for healthy people.

I guess all drug side effects can't be considered negative, unless you really, really love grey hair! >

LOL, I'll keep my grey hair over the unsafe, serious side effects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates