Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

I'm against this. Reminds me of what my school district did back in the 1950s. At my elementary school, on Wednesday afternoons (during regular school hours), we were dismissed 90 minutes early if we attended bible study at one of the five main churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:37 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Mom sues to stop Bible study classes in West Virginia schools | Fox News
A kindergartner's mother is suing her public school system in West Virginia, asking that it discontinue a 75-year practice of putting kids in Bible classes that violate the U.S. and state constitutions. county School officials told the Charleston Gazette-Mail that the Bible courses are voluntary, financed by a nonprofit group and that the system's 19 elementary and middle schools provide alternative courses at the same time.

If they are privately funded and alternate courses are available should they be banned??
The Supreme Court of the United States follows a three prong test in determining whether such actions are constitutional. The test is this:

1. Does the action have a primary secular purpose?

2. Does the action have the net effect of advancing religion?

3. Will the action result in an excessive entanglement between church and state?

If an action violates any of these three prongs it violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment and is unconstitutional.

We don't need to get past the first prong of the test. Clearly, Bible study in school does not have a primary secular purpose.

Lemon v. Kurtzman 403 US 602 (1971)

Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great. Bible courses have no place in public schools. And I'm not buying the claim that they were voluntary. The kids were probably presented with whatever class time as Bible class and only offered the other class if they asked. They may not have even known another class existed. I can't believe they have been going on this long. Why didn't Christian parents from other denominations find them unacceptable? Religious classes usually have some sort of denominational slant.
Exactly. I work in special education (as many of you know through different posts in different forums.) But it is my personal belief that church and (public and charter) schools should be separate. If you do speak of Christmas, one would also have to give equal time to Kwanza and Hanukkah. Not only that but we ended up talking about Christmas traditions around the world and not just traditional "American Christmas."

About the bold, this too is true. But for the most part unless kids comment, parents don't know. It's not like health when kids are about oh 5th/6th/7th grade being taught about sex...

Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Yeah! - Let's teach kindergartners about "My two mothers/fathers" and all the rest of the mushy-headed, liberal indoctrination the liberals think should be foisted on 6-year olds, but, heaven forbid we talk about God or His Word. By the Way, the notion of separation of church and state was intended by our forefathers to keep the state out of the church, not vice-versa.

Last edited by jghorton; 01-22-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Yeah! - Let's teach kindergartners about "My two mothers/fathers" and all the rest of the mushy-headed, liberal indoctrination the liberals think should be foisted on 6-year olds, but, heaven forbid we talk about God or His Word. By the Way, the notion of separation of church and state was intended by our forefathers to keep the state out of the church, not vice-versa.
If you want to know what the Constitution means, you have to read the decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court. In post 12, I explained the analysis the Supreme Court would apply to a case like this and why Bible reading would not be permitted in public schools.

You seem to have a different opinion and that is fine. The problem is that the opinion that counts is the opinion of the Supreme Court. They have a better idea of constitutional law--and what our forefathers really meant--than you.

One point conservative Christians like to gloss over is how many of the Founding Fathers really felt about religion. Ben Franklin was an atheist and than a deist. He was not a Christian. Thomas Jefferson was an agnostic who wrote a version of the New Testament that ignores any mention of Christ's miracles. George Washington lay on a death bed for days and did not ask for a minister to be there the entire time. Tom Paine was an atheist. I do not deny that "the Christian tradition" played a role in formulating our Constitution and laws. However, the framers were truly concerned about keeping Church and State entirely separate. That does mean that neither should interfere with the other.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They are using the public funded school building? Are these classes taking place during the school day, taking time away from classroom learning? Those are two issues but another issue is the peer pressure faced by the child. That is mainly what the woman is suing about. Her child will probably be mocked and shunned by the other kids for not attending the classes.

When I was in elementary school, there was Hebrew class for the Jewish kids. It was not held on public school property though. The negative aspect was that it was held during the school day and those of us who weren't Jewish were just left behind in the classroom to do busy work. The teacher couldn't teach because it would have been a waste with so many of the kids gone.

The article doesn't say much but it sounds like that religious instruction is held often. When I was in school the Jewish religious instruction was only about every two weeks and even that little bit took away from our learning time. Keep religions out of public schools. Don't they get religion in church on Sunday?
Religious factions don't hold these classes in public schools or in nearby places in lieu of regular classes, for the purpose of teaching anything. They do it as a demonstration that they have the power to impose their dogma on everyone in a community. It's all about control and dominance, which is the main purpose of organized religion in the first place.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Unless these courses are on Sunday when a church is paying full rental fees (I've seen schools rent to fledging churches), then these course should go the way of the Dodo bird.

Of course, Bible Study probably doesn't believe in the Dodo bird and evolution...so another saying might be more apt.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
financed by a nonprofit group and that the system's 19 elementary and middle schools provide alternative courses at the same time.

If they are privately funded and alternate courses are available should they be banned??
BTW, the ministers with the jets, girlfriends, drugs and who abuse children are also very much "non-profits". So is Scientology.

As you can see by this thread, most Americans understand this threat to our liberty and way of life.

As we see from your "Fox News" story, there are certain groups which want nothing more than the loss of such.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government."
Thomas Jefferson

So, one believes in America or they believe in Priests. Period.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Why are they doing bible study in a public school in the first place? Isnt that what church is for?

Agree - either a church or a private, religious school.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Would it be okay if we talk about other types of religion too? You probably wouldn't like that too much would ya

You cool teaching paganism, wicca ? I'm sure yer not. No..all of it is a no no in public schools...no brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates