Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

The usual argument is Astrology is it's not a science. Yet I know people who denigrate Astrology and yet, ironically, believe in God/ghosts/prayer/miracles, which is unexplainable/argumentative as well, and can't be proven scientifically.

Formal education is all but designed to over-emphasize the left side of the brain (reason/logic) while starving the rights side of the brain which houses intuition/intelligence.

With Astrology, one needs to open up the right side of the brain to help comprehend it all. Is that one of the reasons? Unable to open up the right side of the brain?

I find it shocking how naïve people are in revealing their birth dates to people, and how much info that birthdate can hold, making it too easy to do an "identity theft" so to speak, and it not being illegal.

My current roommate has been with me 18 years now, and all it took was his birthdate to decide if he'd make a good roommate, and it only took a minute. We're like Siamese twins, joined at the hips!

Political candidates? If more people knew something about these candidates, they'd be voting differently. And imagine some of the questions a journalist might ask Trump, like why are so many of your closest advisors Capricorns?

Marriage/Relationship partners? You can give me the most charming smile, and assurances, but give me that birthdate before I make a decision even if we'll have a first date!

Moderator note: I prefer you close this thread, rather than move it to the Paranormal/Unexplained Mysteries Forum or any other Forum. Looking more forward to a serious discussion on this topic.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-30-2017 at 02:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 04:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Why don't people see the merits/benefits of astrology?

...for the same reason I don't hang chicken heads over a door knob, or shake bones in a cup and scatter them on the ground to read someone's fate.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Q: Why Don't More People See The Merits/Benefits of Astrology?

A: Because there are no merits to see. Astrology is complete and total nonsense, and there's not a shred of evidence to the contrary.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
The only possible benefit of astrology (and other related "fields" like numerology,etc.) is if they incidentally promote some kind of mindfulness or thoughtfulness about your own behaviors and motivations. Astrology can be a bit of a "Rorshach phenomena" in that you can read anything you want into the predictions - by examining what you WANT it to mean you've provided a clue to your own real desires and motivations.

That's all I got....

Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The only possible benefit of astrology (and other related "fields" like numerology,etc.) is if they incidentally promote some kind of mindfulness or thoughtfulness about your own behaviors and motivations. Astrology can be a bit of a "Rorshach phenomena" in that you can read anything you want into the predictions - by examining what you WANT it to mean you've provided a clue to your own real desires and motivations.

That's all I got....
What you're got is pretty good! I could care less about astrology but your last point is a good one: astrology can provide a window into a believer's soul.

Astrology and alchemy were always taught as fake sciences. They are fake sciences. But that doesn't mean they're useless. August the Strong, King of Saxony, had an alchemist like many monarchs. He hadn't turned anything into gold in 5 year so August asked him what he's up to. He replied, although he hadn't made gold, he had made a thin, hard compound that was easily formed, was cheap, waterproof, etc.

It turned out to be porcelain and August developed into one of Saxony's leading industries.

If astrology and alchemy didn't claim to be sciences, long after its been proven they aren't, they might be indulged by many people for they things they are instead.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Mainly on account of it being a pile of codswallop suitable only for susceptible people.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

The usual argument is Astrology is it's not a science. Yet I know people who denigrate Astrology and yet, ironically, believe in God/ghosts/prayer/miracles, which is unexplainable/argumentative as well, and can't be proven scientifically.......

The usual excuse given is that it's not a science but the fact of the matter is that it's disrespected by a lot of people in western society because it's been falsely condemned by Christianity and the other two Abrahamic religions as a form of witchcraft, sooth saying and false prophecy. I find it rather ironic and contradictory that it's been condemned by Christianity at the very least since the three Wise Men/Kings of Christian lore were reputable astrologers and sooth sayers who travelled to Bethlehem because of their science.

There is more than one kind of astrology but astrology in one form or another is a type of respected science that has been and still is practiced or followed by many non-Abrahamic cultures and religions. And it's also respected by no small number of western citizens, healers and heads of state that have been raised up in Abrahamic traditions but who do recognize the practical merits and benefits of the science and have taken the time to learn and understand it.

See below an incomplete list of the different cultures, traditions, types, systems, methods, applications, and branches of astrology from around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s,_and_systems

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-30-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
thread went exactly as i expected.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Because the chart of nobody who ever got hit by a bus said, "Stay indoors today."

Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

My current roommate has been with me 18 years now, and all it took was his birthdate to decide if he'd make a good roommate, and it only took a minute. We're like Siamese twins, joined at the hips!

If someone's birthdate, and only their birthdate, tells you everything you need to know about their personality - how do you explain twins who have polar opposite personalities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.