Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:54 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Just a quick observation: at the time of your birth the doctor or midwife standing there was exerting way more gravitational force on you than the sun, the moon, or any other celestial body.

Second, Tallysmom is correct: there is no credible, plausible, or even conceivable explanation available for why astrology works. Fortunately this isn't really a problem, because that question would only be relevant if in fact astrology produced factual results, such as events or personality traits consistent with what the tenets of astrology predict. Since this has never been demonstrated, there is no phenomenon, so no need for any explanation.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Wow!
Why wow? Was the assessment correct? Do tell!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
To believe or not believe...
I do.
Been subjected to mercury retrograde and can sit in a room and pretty much know a person's sun sign. Naturally,it comes down to intuitive cognizant factors.but us Sagittarians rarely judge a book by it's cover. We are either reading it or writing it. For experience and knowledge has been our quest. The Chinese rendition is more intune for social,worldly advisal.
It's a science in the sense of research and hypothesis..

Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because the chart of nobody who ever got hit by a bus said, "Stay indoors today."

Exactly! Astrology is about as accurate as tarot cards, tea leaves and fortune cookies.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Why wow? Was the assessment correct? Do tell!
No. I missed my calling because I struggled with a broken family and had a really crappy childhood. I never fully recovered. But I am very drawn to the legal profession and the underdog. And I worked for the state legislature for 18 years. Law interests me greatly.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 PM

289 posts, read 220,015 times
I'd give this thread and the OP more of a thoughtful response if they weren't aware that left brain/right brain is not an actual thing. One side of the brain doesn't think another way compared to the other, this has been a known fact amongst those with even a basic education for decades.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 PM

87 posts, read 114,498 times
Just to add - that Astrology has "so many elements" (e.g. ascendant, moon sign, planets in houses, aspects, etc...) makes it even LESS unscientific, not more. Astrology now becomes impossible to falsify, because any time someone says "That sign/description doesn't fit me", the pro-Astrology thumpers can just retort with "Well, you've got Neptune trine Sagittarius, and Mercury in 8th house, so that explains it!"

So Astrology can never be disproved, which makes it the very antithesis of proper science.

For the record, I don't really give a damn if people want to believe in gobbledygook like Astrology, just as I don't mind that there exists people out there who believe in the coming Messiah, or 7 years' bad luck from a broken mirror. Such people, however, should not wrongfully claim that their beliefs are a "science", and they should be prepared to be laughed at and criticized by more intelligent people who recognize bull**** when it's in front of them.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
But the stars!

Not to mention the bajillions of people in the same month that have different personalities.
As for me, I'm a "gemini" but I pretty much hit all the opposites that geminis are supposed to have.
Now, I do have some similar traits, but come on, all of the traits ever listed are vague and fit a ton of people, of course you're gonna say "oh that describes me perfectly!"
The thing is, it would really be about one's entire Natal Chart, based upon birth time, date, place, to define one's overall personality, which most people would never bother doing. Astrology has become confused and had criticism due to being passed off as simply having traits relating to the Sun Sign they are born under. That's why it seems fishy, since there are actually other signs involved in one's chart (full personality), though some can act very much like their Sun sign, depending upon all their placements. One's Moon Sign placement will be different than their Sun sign, which controls emotions, which is something to consider, besides the ascendant and sign coming before or after one's Birth sign.

But, no, we are not identical and cannot be sized up merely by traits listed for one sign or follow a daily forecast based upon our "sign", which I never did. This is why it had become laughable, when just "the tip of the iceberg" had become the focus, but in it's entirety, will still be criticized for having any validity. I am just describing what little I know of it, once having had an interest in.

For instance, Gemini is the sign "of the Twins". Before I was aware, I had experienced others who were very changeable, unaware of what they had said or done prior, even sometimes having a varying look outwardly. It was confusing, but found they had Gemini figuring in their chart, whether it being their Sun Sign or being in other placements in their chart.

Our President is a Gemini, and when I found that out I thought "it figures", since he can appear different outwardly, but mostly and noticeably, will say one thing, then say the opposite, being highly inconsistent. I have felt he has a split-personality. I have seen news reporters trying to make sense of him since the beginning, but of course, no one is going to address Astrology. ☺️

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-31-2017 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Addition.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:15 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post

Our President is a Gemini, and when I found that out I thought "it figures", since he can appear different outwardly, but mostly and noticeably, will say one thing, then say the opposite, being highly inconsistent. I have felt he has a split-personality. I have seen news reporters trying to make sense of him since the beginning, but of course, no one is going to address Astrology. ☺️
Reporters speak of Trump's Mercurial nature. Mercury rules Gemini. Get it? Pence is also a Gemini!

What contributes to Trump's changeableness is his Moon in Eternal Optimist Sagittarius, sitting in his 4th house of Cancer.

His love of shocking people unpredictably comes with his Sun and Uranus conjunction, which gives his Sun sign an Aquarian flavor.

His Ascendant is dead on: Leo! Sign of the President, King, Dictator. And his Mars in Leo sits close to his Ascendant in the first house of Aries. Hot, quick tempered. A true Leo Ascendant infers baldness, as what happens with most of the Fiery Ascendants. And Leo is extremely proud of his "Mane: and he'll do everything to protect his mane, even hair transplants!

More than anything, he's an Oscar-winning Salesman! And he did a good job of that, during his campaign, along with his Leo placements, which gives any candidate star-power.

Absent from his chart is Earth placements. Quite obviously, those with no Earth don't have their 2 feet on the ground, and thank God for the attraction of opposites, as so many with no Earth end up with an Earthy partner. Melania, his wife: Sun/Mercury/Venus in earthy Taurus and a Moon in Capricorn. And to help ground him further, his 2 sons are earthy Capricorns, and, Jared, his son-in-law is also Capricorn.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-31-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post

Just to add - that Astrology has "so many elements" (e.g. ascendant, moon sign, planets in houses, aspects, etc...) makes it even LESS unscientific, not more. Astrology now becomes impossible to falsify, because any time someone says "That sign/description doesn't fit me", the pro-Astrology thumpers can just retort with "Well, you've got Neptune trine Sagittarius, and Mercury in 8th house, so that explains it!"

So Astrology can never be disproved, which makes it the very antithesis of proper science.
So anything that is complicated is automatically false? Okay then.

What about your body? Your body is a complicated system where so many factors come into play and interact with each other. If something isn't working right, a doctor might look at several things and yet misdiagnose you because they didn't look at all the possibilities. Three doctors might give three different opinions.

Does this make medicine LESS scientific? NO! It makes medicine complicated.

Also, science isn't able to measure everything. It's a constantly developing thing. There was a time when science didn't even know germs existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates