Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

This topic occurred to me on another thread, and I do believe it fits in this forum. The word does mean different things to different people and runs a wide gamut. Personally, I think it is overused these days, and that overuse has cheapened its real meaning. It seems that these days just putting on a uniform and taking on a job makes someone a "hero". Be that a soldier, sailor, Marine or airman, or a first responder/police/EMT/ firefighter.

Does just being on the front lines make a "hero"? As I came to understand that word growing up, it took more than just being there and/or participating in a dangerous situation to distinguish a hero from the rest. A "hero" goes above and beyond. Knowingly endangers him/herself to save others. The one who throws themselves on a grenade, charges a machine gun nest so comrades can complete the mission, runs into a burning building to save a trapped victim and suffers great personal injury in doing so, surrenders themselves to a violent criminal as a hostage so that a civilian can go unharmed and safe.

I' talking above and beyond just what the job entails. I'm sorry , (not really ..but) to say, but the way the word hero is being tossed out these days truly does cheapen and demean what "above and beyond" really is. The things that make a bronze/silver star, Navy Cross or Medal of Honor recipient. Or a civilian first responder who truly risks it all, lays their own life on the line without regard, and/or sacrifices their life so others may live. And does so knowingly and willingly. THAT is a "hero".

My Dad, who was a veteran of serious combat in Korea and Viet Nam told me bluntly that despite all he had seen and done, he was no "hero". In his words, "All the heroes I know are dead.". So, who are the real heroes these days? Riding on, safe from all danger? Where have you been for so long? I've been waiting for another star to rise in the night again. Give me a reason, we ALL must carry on. Where have the "heroes" gone?

The true heroes. The ones who neither need nor want any recognition for their deeds. Who actually deny having done anything they need be recognized for doing, and would prefer to be left out of the lime light. These days it seems that to be called a hero just takes having a certain job, or if put in danger helping someone, knowingly or not, one is a "hero". As I learned it, it's taking a situation head on, knowing one is in mortal peril doing so, so that others are removed from harm and assuming that harm upon oneself, willingly, is what makes a hero. Not just wearing a uniform that may require one to go in harms way, or intervening somehow in a situation helping others with no knowledge aforehand of any personal peril.

Maybe I'm just old. Old school, old fashioned, just plain old. IDK. But I do believe the title of "hero" is being overused these days. I see it applied all to often to people who I personally find don't truly make the cut in deserving it. Am I alone in this? Or is there real substance to what I'm saying here? I do welcome commentary of any and all sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 02:50 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
I totally agree that the word "hero" is overused these days. Not only overused but terribly overused, especially when it comes to anyone in a military uniform. Your dad was right in that he was no hero, at least for his actions in the war. But he was wrong in saying that "All the heroes I know are dead". To me fighting in a war does not even come close to making you a hero. Maybe a hero to those you fight alongside but not to me.

Basically a hero is someone who goes above and beyond, at great risk or hardship to themselves, to do the right thing. Examples would be a firefighter who rushes into a burning building on the verge of collapse to rescue someone, someone who does painstaking work reviewing computer files helping law enforcement catch people who sexually abuse children, a single mother who works 16 hour days to provide for her children, rescuing a person from a burning car. That's my take.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
The media today is just dumbed down. I see spelling our language has also taken to a whole new level of stupidity. The same goes for definition.
Since you are on the topic of such, what about the word ''troop?"

When I was a kid, that word meant a group of people. Today, I see and hear the word used as an individual.
A troop is not singular, it is plural.
And a hero is exactly (in my eyes) as you say NVPlumber.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
The media today is just dumbed down. I see spelling our language has also taken to a whole new level of stupidity. The same goes for definition.

When I was a kid, that word meant a group of people. Today, I see and hear the word used as an individual.
And a hero is exactly (in my eyes) as you say NVPlumber.

A troop is indeed a word for a group. "Trooper" is the singular (and martial) term for a member of a certain group. "Troopers" is (or was)used as a term to distinguish cavalrymen from foot soldiers. It is also now used to describe State Police officers. Here in NV our Highway Patrolmen are called "Troopers".

So far we seem to agree that "hero" is a vastly over used title. CPA, when my Dad said "all the heroes I know are dead", well, to understand what he meant you really had to be there. I can't describe accurately what his context was. He sorta had the thousand yard stare going when he said that. Maybe that helps you understand a bit.

One thing further on "troop" Terra. I have heard it used in reference to an individual by other members of an actual "troop". Such as a 1st SGT saying something like "Hey, "troop" , get me my coffee" or some such when addressing an individual. But it is slang useage.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:05 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
A hero willingly puts him or herself directly into harm's way for the sake of others.

So a hero is not someone who simply finds themselves in a situation and acts to remove his or herself from it, perhaps thereby saving others. A hero injects him or herself into the danger, accepting it when it was not necessary to do so, so that others might benefit.

Example A (not a hero): Chesley Sullenberger
Sullenberger, if you recall, was the pilot of the US Airways airliner that suffered engine failures due to a birdstrike and had to ditch in the Hudson River. He performed magnificently, kept his cool, executed a textbook landing, and undoubtedly saved lives. But his actions were not strictly heroic. He did not put himself at risk (he was already at risk due to circumstance).

Example B: (heroes): the men tho intervened in the recent Portland stabbing by the white supremacist
These men did not have to do anything. They could have looked away. They could have walked away. They could have simply sat idly by and watched the harassment of young women escalate to perhaps murder. Instead, they put themselves in harm's way to save others from harm.

Note that the word 'hero' is somewhat perilous. If you don't bestow the word on certain people, you will be condemned, even if you are accurate and the condemners are not. If you decline to label everyone who wears a camouflage or blue uniform as a hero, you will be condemned by some. This is a sort of political correctness - ironically, from the same sort of people who see the PC boogeyman lurking behind every bush - wherein you must fall in line and embrace the appropriate nomenclature or you will be excoriated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

This is just more factually incorrect reverence of a past that was supposedly better than today.

If 'troop' itself was the sole plural of the word when you were a kid, then there wouldn't have been headlines like this one:

Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A hero willingly puts him or herself directly into harm's way for the sake of others.

So a hero is not someone who simply finds themselves in a situation and acts to remove his or herself from it, perhaps thereby saving others. A hero injects him or herself into the danger, accepting it when it was not necessary to do so, so that others might benefit.

Example A (not a hero): Chesley Sullenberger
Sullenberger, if you recall, was the pilot of the US Airways airliner that suffered engine failures due to a birdstrike and had to ditch in the Hudson River. He performed magnificently, kept his cool, executed a textbook landing, and undoubtedly saved lives. But his actions were not strictly heroic. He did not put himself at risk (he was already at risk due to circumstance).

Example B: (heroes): the men tho intervened in the recent Portland stabbing by the white supremacist
These men did not have to do anything. They could have looked away. They could have walked away. They could have simply sat idly by and watched the harassment of young women escalate to perhaps murder. Instead, they put themselves in harm's way to save others from harm.

Note that the word 'hero' is somewhat perilous. If you don't bestow the word on certain people, you will be condemned, even if you are accurate and the condemners are not. If you decline to label everyone who wears a camouflage or blue uniform as a hero, you will be condemned by some. This is a sort of political correctness - ironically, from the same sort of people who see the PC boogeyman lurking behind every bush - wherein you must fall in line and embrace the appropriate nomenclature or you will be excoriated.

This is just more factually incorrect reverence of a past that was supposedly better than today.

If 'troop' itself was the sole plural of the word when you were a kid, then there wouldn't have been headlines like this one:

Examples of a hero. Audie Murphy, at only 19 yo, singlehandedly held off an entire company of German soldiers, and then while wounded and out of ammunition led a counterattack that broke the offensive. Alvin York, took command of a seriously hurt company of men, and singlehanded took out 25 enemy soldiers and led his company on to take out 35 machine guns and capture 132 enemy soldiers. There are more firefighters who have acted heroically than can be listed, and have not received the recognition they deserve, and as true heroes do, they disdain that recognition.

The Portland guys on that train? Heroes? Really? They didn't have a clue that they were in mortal danger and were risking their lives. They had no idea that that creep was going to get as violent as he did. They would have acted heroically had they intervened as the creep was showing his blade and still went ahead to intervene. Such was not the case. Sully, yep, he just played the hand he was dealt. However, even Murphy and York said the same about their situations, as most real heroes do. They just do what needs doing, but at a level of personal danger they are fully aware of and not expecting to live through it all, yet by doing what they do others WILL live on, to complete the mission or even just to go on with their lives.

A hero does indeed act and knowingly puts their very life on the line so that others may live. Key words, knowingly and willingly. A sailor who stays behind to secure a watertight compartment knowing he will drown, but his ten crew mates will survive is a hero. A firefighter who gets a child out a window to safety in a burning building knowing he cannot get out himself is a hero. I do understand what my Dad meant by saying "all the heroes I know are dead". To him, and from his experiences that is the truth. He knew men who gave their lives for others and did so willingly and knowingly.

Personally, I've never met a genuine hero. I believe I can forego the pleasure and honor actually, because that may mean someone is giving their life for me and mine.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
if I have a bad day at work, im stressed, may take some crap....etc..

if someone in the military in a war zone has a bad day they may lose a leg or arm...or worse..

yep that is a hero to me,,,because he is risking his life...so I don't have to or on behalf of me.
if a soldier loses his or her life in combat.. someone loses a husband/wife/father son/daughter/mother/ friend

they are fighting for me/us and our freedoms

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
CPA, when my Dad said "all the heroes I know are dead", well, to understand what he meant you really had to be there. I can't describe accurately what his context was. He sorta had the thousand yard stare going when he said that. Maybe that helps you understand a bit.
Yeah, I can see where you'd actually have to be there to fully understand how he felt. I'm not saying I agree with him, or that I would agree with him even if I was there, but I can see where the average person wouldn't understand why he felt that way.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Yeah, I can see where you'd actually have to be there to fully understand how he felt. I'm not saying I agree with him, or that I would agree with him even if I was there, but I can see where the average person wouldn't understand why he felt that way.
Like I believe you're saying, and I agree, it's not something one either agrees or disagrees with. Just accept for what it is. You don't try and factor in variables and over think someone's personal take gained with personal experiences. To me, Dad was a "hero" in that he gave me an example to follow. A reason to go forward. There I guess we can dissect things somewhat as to the difference between a "hero" and an example to follow. Perhaps the title of hero being used so excessively these days is a use of the word out of context in place of an example to follow in bravery and committment.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Thank you for bringing this up, I was thinking about this very same thing a few weeks ago..

We had some headlines where a police officer went into a pond to rescue a small child.. He was be being lauded a hero by local and maybe national press.. I thought to myself, does what he did define heroism? Granted he is to be sure applauded for his action. On the flip side I'd like to think anyone who could swim would do the same thing if they seen a child in distress in a pond, it wasn't a raging river that just brought down three bridges..

To me a hero is a person who puts themselves in danger selflessly for the good of others while the outcome may not be so good for themselves..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates