Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times

Advertisements

Don't they call it "gender studies" nowadays?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why do so many universities claim to promote gender equality and yet they have a women's studies major but no men's studies major? Is this not a form of gender discrimination?
No, because men's accomplishments have not been excluded from education. You ever heard of Mozart? Did you know he had a sister that was considered to be as talented if not more talented than him? But because she was a woman she was ignored and not encouraged.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
There is no equivalent between Women's Studies and whatever passes for Men's Studies.

Women's Studies is basically a reaction to the historical and continued marginalization of women. It seeks to rectify such marginalization. Tell us, where is the equivalent marginalization of men? Forty four men have served as the President of the United States - no women have. Do you think that's just an amazing coincidence, like flipping a coin 44 times and having it come up heads all 44 times? Hint - it's not. Women's Studies merely seeks to elevate women to an equal position with men, who disproportionately dominate every conceivable lever of power - in Congress, in every state legislature, in governorships, as CEOs and police chiefs and university presidents, in pay for exactly the same work... the list is endless. When you see Men's Studies touted, you see men who are suddenly fearful that their artificial social dominance is eroding and are terrified of losing their built-in institutional advantage in... well, in everything. They're terrified at having to compete on a level playing field.

It's like comparing the NAACP to some skinhead on the corner shouting "White Pride!".

And, yeah, I'm a guy. You don't have to be a woman to see these rather obvious facts.
So, in your opinion, when do women become equal in your eyes? If the next 20 presidents are women, does that mean 'women' have a long way to go because "president" is still stacked against them 44-20?

Run a woman for president who loves the USA and seeks to follow a path for the betterment of our country and its citizens above all others, and you will have your first woman president. Not someone who is trying to shackle the USA with treaties and policies meant to redistribute our successes and industries to others to their advance and our decline out of some kind of drive for 'fairness'. The job of the POTUS and our entire federal government is to support the interests of the USA and its people.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
I was a woman's studies minor in college. The classes were nonsensical. I mostly did it just to get a nice piece of ass.

It worked.
Glad you made such good use of your parents' money in thinking about your future career and all.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm not saying there are no a**holes in the workplace.

And I'm not saying gender plays zero role -- most hospitals will not allow male x-ray techs to perform mammograms on women. (These same institutions do not prohibit male OBs from delivering babies, but that paradox is for another thread). Is there something wrong with women who would not allow a male x-ray tech to perform a mammogram? I suspect most would say no.

Surveys of large number of working women show a definite preference for working for a man rather than a woman. For example

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...re-than-men-do

In 60 years of collecting survey data, not once have women collectively said they prefer a female boss.

I had the opportunity to work for the CFO of a Fortune 100 company. She happened to be a woman. During an orientation session for summer interns, one young woman asked her the key to her success, noting few women attain the C-Suite. Her response was among the best I've ever heard:

With emphasis on bullet point number #3.
Wouldn't a majority of women preferring women be just as negative as a majority of men preferring men? Looks to me like things are becoming more and more neutral over the years...how is that a problem for you?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
back in the late 70s when I was in college there was a women's studies class and I decided as a man, to enroll, thinking, it's discriminatory to allow only women and, I thought it would be an easy3 credits. They let me in the class and I have to say, I was shocked and enlightened. It was an evening class so many of the women were older housewives looking for a degree later in life. They all talked about how they wished that they had never married and had children! As a 19 year old guy, I was blown away by this. I remember them saying, that yes, they loved their children, and some loved their husbands but, that they felt their lives that been prescribed by their parents and society and, if they had it to do over again, they would never have married. That was the first class. I learned a lot more in that class and was surprised there was no hostility about me being in there. Their attitude was, if you chose to be in this class, be prepared for honest men bashing. There was a lot of it. But that class did give me a new perspective on how women felt about our culture.

Nowadays, I would be afraid of a Men's Studies course. I fear it would be focused on masculinity being obsolete and "binary" gender roles as the future. Maybe I'm too old to be open minded but I'll pass.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Why do so many universities claim to promote gender equality and yet they have a women's studies major but no men's studies major? Is this not a form of gender discrimination?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

MEN wrote ad nauseum about themselves in what we call "History". The roles and influence of the women around them didn't merit much mention.

In ancient times, very few people could read or write, and the few who could, were usually men. They told the stories of prominent men.

Even in the late 1700s when women were taught to read and write, it wasn't considered proper for a lady author to put her own name on a book she had written. Hence, Jane Austin, one of the greatest novelists of all time didn't even put her name on her early books.

It's women's history that has been lost; not men's.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
So, in your opinion, when do women become equal in your eyes? If the next 20 presidents are women, does that mean 'women' have a long way to go because "president" is still stacked against them 44-20?

Run a woman for president who loves the USA and seeks to follow a path for the betterment of our country and its citizens above all others, and you will have your first woman president. Not someone who is trying to shackle the USA with treaties and policies meant to redistribute our successes and industries to others to their advance and our decline out of some kind of drive for 'fairness'. The job of the POTUS and our entire federal government is to support the interests of the USA and its people.
I guess it's in the best interest of the country to sell weapons to countries that are known to fund terrorists.. Quite frankly there are some people who are obsessed with returning to the 1950's in this country. I doubt they would ever vote for a woman president no matter what she stands for.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

If you actually want to stay on topic and keep this to Womens Studies, no matter how equal we are there will always be womens studies. Look at the syllabus for one...it's basically a women's world history course. When will we stop teaching World History? When will be stop needing to learn how we got to where we are? Womens studies is not, as many appear to think, a major in being an Activist. It is a foundation of history and the history of feminism for those preparing for some sort of career working toward advancing human rights. Remember that what affects women in Africa, also affects her children, including male children.

Again though for whatever reason people refuse to acknowledge this course is NOT about American women but women around the world. Do you actually think women have equal protections in the middle east, Africa, China?

This is from Barnard College:

"Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies participates in a Consortium with Africana Studies and American Studies that supports the development of intellectual and curricular projects across the three fields and offers a concentration and minor in studies of race and ethnicity, with an attention to global and diasporic frameworks. We are particularly interested in relations between and among, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity and nation. The Consortium is working to create models for research and teaching that contribute to new ways of understanding processes of social differentiation and that help to create new possibilities for social relations."

This is not about man-bashing. It is about gaining a foundation in the history of relationships between men and women around the world, in order to try to create a better world for everyone. The "I'm not paying tax dollars for THAT!!" are IMO quite misguided about what these courses actually are and who they are designed for.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Why is this a degree? When you get that shiny new diploma how do you use it to make money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates