Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:38 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Where is this proof that immigrants come here illegally and instantly get welfare? It seems people believe things as gospel without any verifiable proof these days.
Over half of them are on some form of welfare. Immigration & Welfare: Media Misleads -- Washington Post | National Review

This is supposed to be about logic and diversity not immigration. There's more to diversity than immigration. How logic is related to diversity I haven't figured out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:04 PM

376 posts, read 489,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In the beginning, the land mass that we call America was populated by people that we call “Native Americans.”
Actually, in the beginning the 'land mass we call America' was not populated by humans, and then the paleo-Indian migration took place. Populations arrived, migrated, and were displaced.

Quote:
Then folks from Europe arrived. So, from day 1, America was never truly a “white” country.
Not at all on day 1. But then, such concepts as 'white' were far in the future.

Quote:
Then consider that the land that comprises the states of Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and parts of Wyoming was once owned by Mexico. Thus, there were Mexicans and “Mexican Indians” in America.
Yes, for 14 years in Texas' case, and 24 years for the rest. And Mexico didn't control most of its northern frontier.

Quote:
Of course, Black people came with slavery and some immigration. Then, there was an influx of Asian people when the Chinese began coming to America in the 1830s. This means that before the turn of the century, America was very diverse.
Sure, it was diverse, only not in the modern sense. There were Gaelic-speaking frontiersmen, Irish, Germans, etc. - plenty of diversity under the category of 'white'. Hell, the Confederacy had a Jewish Secretary of State. But Anglos had most of the power and were dominatingly influential in culture.

Quote:
Jumping forward in time to the age of TV, magazines, and modern media. For a variety of reasons, these media outlets chose to focus on shows and images that primarily featured white people. Workplaces seemed to follow suit. However, as stated above, America was populated by people of all races, colors, and sexualities. These people had lives that were never displayed in popular media.
America was overwhelmingly 'white' both demographically and culturally. Nonwhites had a presence in culture, though. And people identifying themselves primarily by their sexuality did not happen on a large scale until the late 20th century.

Quote:
We are now starting to see things change. For some people, this may seem jarring and unfamiliar. Thus the criticism that this is all being forced on people.
I think that many people object to the mandated and artificial nature of the change - it is not happening organically. Other posters earlier in the thread have done a good job of explaining some of this.

Quote:
So, how about this? Instead of being upset that TV and workplaces are “forcing” diversity on people, should people instead be upset at TV and workplaces for making people believe that all of these diverse people didn’t exist? It created a belief in an artificial reality that was NEVER real.
So, how about this? Instead of committing historical imperialism by judging the past by the standards of the present (and a subset of the present at that), why don't we look at the past in such a way that we transcend our agendas? That we see our forbears as neither angels nor demons? And that we allow diversity now to run its course, without attempts at social engineering and manufacturing outrage? That we cease the dehumanizing and anti-intellectual practice of identity politics?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post

I think that many people object to the mandated and artificial nature of the change - it is not happening organically. Other posters earlier in the thread have done a good job of explaining some of this.

So, how about this? Instead of committing historical imperialism by judging the past by the standards of the present (and a subset of the present at that), why don't we look at the past in such a way that we transcend our agendas? That we see our forbears as neither angels nor demons? And that we allow diversity now to run its course, without attempts at social engineering and manufacturing outrage? That we cease the dehumanizing and anti-intellectual practice of identity politics?
What are examples of this artificial nature of change? Are you saying that segregation laws were just and good? Showing diversity on T.V. really impact people that much? I would have to say some people are weak minded in that case.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
And there are tons of shows like that. As much as I like shows such as How I Met Your Mother, King of Queens, or Seinfeld, they do an awful and unrealistic job at portraying NYC. It is unrealistic to have a show set in Queens (nearly half the population is foreign-born) and have an entirely white cast. The area where George Costanza's parents live is a mix of Greek, Balkan, Middle Eastern, Brazilian, and Ecuadorian. A show should reflect that more accurately if it wants to be realistic
Do you really want me to go down the list of Seinfeld characters that aren't WASPs? You do realize that Seinfeld is a Jewish name, right? Jerry is Jewish.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM

376 posts, read 489,135 times
Quote:
What are examples of this artificial nature of change? Are you saying that segregation laws were just and good? Showing diversity on T.V. really impact people that much? I would have to say some people are weak minded in that case.
Segregation laws were just an attempt at social engineering from another age.

I think that the producers of TV shows engineer diversity explicitly in the hope of fostering change. I'm not sure how effective this is. I guess it depends on how integrated a community the viewers live in: for example, a beer commercial with people of all races happily partying is going to ring truer for people in Dallas or Houston than for people in coastal California or Portland, or Seattle, or other such de facto segregated areas.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Do you really want me to go down the list of Seinfeld characters that aren't WASPs? You do realize that Seinfeld is a Jewish name, right? Jerry is Jewish.
What Seinfeld did right was include Jewish and Italian (Costanza) characters, but aside from that it was not very diverse. Even the supporting characters were often white, altho Seinfeld was much better in having diverse romantic partners. Other TV shows only have white romantic interests for some reason

Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What Seinfeld did right was include Jewish and Italian (Costanza) characters, but aside from that it was not very diverse. Even the supporting characters were often white, altho Seinfeld was much better in having diverse romantic partners. Other TV shows only have white romantic interests for some reason
So then why on earth would you list it as an example of shows that don't include any non-WASPs? How many ethnicities need to be represented in order to meet your quota?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So then why on earth would you list it as an example of shows that don't include any non-WASPs? How many ethnicities need to be represented in order to meet your quota?
There is no quota, I'm just saying that it's unrealistic to have a show in a city like New York City where nearly the entire cast is white. That would be like having a diverse cast in a show taking place in a rural area in Tennessee, which half this forum is complaining about

Old 06-22-2017, 04:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Well one would be nice because I would be hard-pressed to remember any on Seinfeld. I have to wonder do some people genuinely want to keep non-whites being featured on shows with predominantly white casts.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Well one would be nice because I would be hard-pressed to remember any on Seinfeld. I have to wonder do some people genuinely want to keep non-whites being featured on shows with predominantly white casts.
I don't get why people get bothered by diversity so much. Like come on, it's New York, they can't expect NYC to be like suburban Iowa demographically. I think if these people decided to take a walk down Roosevelt Avenue or Astoria Boulevard their minds would literally explode from all the diversity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates