Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,588,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Isn't a business obligated to serve the public, i.e. anyone who comes in and pays for their product, unless the customer's request is illegal, or, in the case of a restaurant, the customer is improperly dressed?
i think it depends on the state. maybe some states allow the business owner to turn customers away ?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,683,266 times
Since he was selling the cake it was not showing approval of the wedding. I don't think the baker has an argument. Everyday millions of businessmen do business with people they disagree with on one matter or another. Would the baker refuse to bake for the adulterer? The prostitute?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I am not sure why people struggle with this so much. You cannot discriminate against classes of people (based on things like sexual orientation, religion, ability status, etc.). You can refuse service to an individual based on things that are not protected. If a guy in a wheelchair is insulting other customers, you can throw him out of your restaurant for being rude. You cannot, however, throw his out of your restaurant because he is in a wheelchair.
Otherwise I am unclear about the OP's point. They refused to make the cake because it was for a gay marriage. They could refuse to make any wedding cakes because they do not believe in marriage in general, but you cannot refuse to make wedding cakes for same sex couples or interracial couples or Muslin couples, for example.
The issue is people are saying the event itself (the "gay marriage") is being discriminated against, not the individuals who are having a "gay marriage." I agree with you though, the reason I asked in the thread was because we have people making this argument in the Supreme Court hearing of the case in the Politics & Controversies forum.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:01 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,613,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is people are saying the event itself (the "gay marriage") is being discriminated against, not the individuals who are having a "gay marriage." I agree with you though, the reason I asked in the thread was because we have people making this argument in the Supreme Court hearing of the case in the Politics & Controversies forum.
Ask for clarification in that thread at P&OC - from the people making those statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.