Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

41 posts, read 39,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think people, including a few of our posters, are incredibly and dangerously naive. Putting substances into your body has risks. And not just drugs. And not just recreational drugs. And not just supplements. Even food. Including everyday food. Someone mentioned peanuts; good example. If, like yesterday, I eat a meal with an unusually high amount of fat, I pay the price through tiredness, higher pulse rate, etc.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I've found a couple supplements and herbals that actually work, and MANY that do not. Any of these can have side effects, and I get very weary of people insisting that because it came from a plant, it's totes benign. Poison ivy is a plant. Castor beans are a plant, yet you can use them to make poison so powerful that it's a terrorism risk. In a more relevant example, St. John's Wort - a plant - has a wide array of side effects, some of which can be life-threatening.

As for food, if I eat a meal with mostly carbohydrates and not much protein or fat, I'm twitching, trembling, and confused about 2-3 hours later.

Quote:
I think the "easy" drugs (in terms of research and development) have mostly already been discovered. Now it's on to the more challenging drugs, drugs which are often "last resort drugs".
And to variations of existing drugs with fewer side effects.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Clearly taking vitamins and keeping fit is good prevention. We all get old. It sucks. All we can do is treat our bodies as good as possible so it lasts as long as possible. There is no fountain of youth or risk free cures. Not conventional or alternative (I wish). You've gone this long without using meds and that's awesome.
Precisely, and I hope it continues and there are exceptions to my health, but I'm NOT sick. There were so many in the rehabs that were years younger than me and looked and acted years older. Guess what, all pharma drugs and no supplementals.

Supplements are just that, they fill in, supplement to what we already do.

People buy supplemental insurance to their medicare, I never have and have had medicare since I was 65, so 14 yrs and doing good for the most part except this last terrible infection.

My supplemental insurance are my supplements.

And YES, everyone is in business to make profits and I've said this many times when some go off on how much the supplement world makes. Good grief...look at the whole picture.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanal View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I've found a couple supplements and herbals that actually work, and MANY that do not. Any of these can have side effects, and I get very weary of people insisting that because it came from a plant, it's totes benign. Poison ivy is a plant. Castor beans are a plant, yet you can use them to make poison so powerful that it's a terrorism risk. In a more relevant example, St. John's Wort - a plant - has a wide array of side effects, some of which can be life-threatening.

As for food, if I eat a meal with mostly carbohydrates and not much protein or fat, I'm twitching, trembling, and confused about 2-3 hours later.

And to variations of existing drugs with fewer side effects.

Goodness why mostly carbs? Protein and Fats are the MOST important. You know what goes on in your body and you continue?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Precisely, and I hope it continues and there are exceptions to my health, but I'm NOT sick. There were so many in the rehabs that were years younger than me and looked and acted years older. Guess what, all pharma drugs and no supplementals.

Supplements are just that, they fill in, supplement to what we already do.

People buy supplemental insurance to their medicare, I never have and have had medicare since I was 65, so 14 yrs and doing good for the most part except this last terrible infection.

My supplemental insurance are my supplements.

And YES, everyone is in business to make profits and I've said this many times when some go off on how much the supplement world makes. Good grief...look at the whole picture.
OK, to be fair.....

You have insomnia, you barely walk, you have high blood pressure, you take thyroid meds, you have body wide OA since you were young....

The list of supplements that is so long that I can't even begin to comprehend it, and you ended up in the hospital with staph after doing home acupuncture and having an alt guy inject stuff into your knee.

This is all your choice, which is fine, but most people do not want to live that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OK, to be fair.....

You have insomnia, you barely walk, you have high blood pressure, you take thyroid meds, you have body wide OA since you were young....

The list of supplements that is so long that I can't even begin to comprehend it, and you ended up in the hospital with staph after doing home acupuncture and having an alt guy inject stuff into your knee.

This is all your choice, which is fine, but most people do not want to live that way.

What are you talking about Mikala. I do NOT have insomnia, I just recently adjusted Melatonin and I'm sleeping good again. Some pick up and say stuff about me I've never said about me...sound familiar.

I walk but yes with issues now due to this last mess, BP is under control for years with meds, and so is thyroid since 2002.

You want to keep bringing up my issues, WHY....you have your issues and I don't say a word about your health issues, do I?

And knee was probably not from acupuncture but probably prolo injection, no one knows for sure, and especially not anyone on C-D. The alt guy is a D.O. doctor of osteopathy.

I can't understand why some here are so attacking my health and how I take care of it. Hope you are still doing great at 79. And maybe you will with the help of Enbrel.

And a lot of us don't want to live with the drugs many take around here. What's the deal anyway?

Sure feels like a load of meanness around here.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-03-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I think that vast majority of healthcare providers and scientists would strongly disagree.
I agree. Most healthcare providers (not all) and scientists truly want to help people and get them well. But they are not the ones becoming multi-millionaires off of the business.

I'm a teacher. Just about every teacher truly cares and wants to help children learn and become great people. But they are often constrained by an educational system that sucks (and that people are getting rich off of). Teachers aren't bad, the system is.

Same is true for healthcare. The system we have is corrupt. Unfortunately, it's the only system they have to work under.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OK, to be fair.....

And you're speaking for MOST people? Did you do a poll?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And you're speaking for MOST people? Did you do a poll?
Why is a poll necessary? When most people go to the doctor, and the doctor gives them a prescription, they take it.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My health issues? Sure.

Ideopathic high blood pressure: controlled via Rx
low thyroid: controlled via Rx
Aggressive RA: no symptoms via Rx
FM: was controlled via lyrica, but I stopped taking it and have no more symptoms

You have a whole thread on the supplements you take in order to sleep, that's your thread.

Plus, if all those supplements were working, why are you always posting on all the NEW stuff you try in order to get healthy? If all your stuff works, why keep changing it?

I'm not anti supplement, there are some that help some conditions. Even my docs recommend some.

I am disheartened that 30% of supplements tested don't contain what is advertised. You are paying for and taking.... well you don't know what.

My Rx allow me to be active and healthy, no restrictions.

Could I still die tomorrow? Sure. Heck, my husband died at 43, it happens.

But while I am alive, I want to be able to live.

I really don't care if someone wants to forgo scripts, but if you post inaccurate info, peeps will speak up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Why is a poll necessary? When most people go to the doctor, and the doctor gives them a prescription, they take it.
I'm talking to Mikala. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates