Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:38 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow poly? I'm so lucky to be made from natural materials.

Truly. Something grown from actual living stuff from planet Earth. I can say with conviction that this poly concept is not a natural act, therefore comes from non-natural materials. Some things are just not meant t be shared equally with someone else. Love between a couple I believe is one of those things. If someone else had feelings for my SO, well, sorry, she's taken, and so am I in that regard. Good thing poly materials can be recycled and put to use elsewhere....

Old 08-24-2017, 04:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Why is it always 2 females and 1 male? I think the other way around would be more logical. It would be hard to have more children than you could afford to raise, and it would be very economically stable because men still make more money than women.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Why is it always 2 females and 1 male? I think the other way around would be more logical. It would be hard to have more children than you could afford to raise, and it would be very economically stable because men still make more money than women.

It isn't always two women/1 man. Check the Wikipedia entry (a decent source regardless of what many say) on 'menage a trois'. It cites a number of notable two men/1 woman arrangements involving historical and/or celebrity figures.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Check this chart out talk about being complicated.

http://www.unicorns-r-us.com/images/...hart-large.gif

Yes. Way too complicated an algorithm for me. I just don't have that much energy.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
its the new slang for swapping partners and living with the decision to be so socially "above" others in their new wave concept....which isn't new by any means. Its just more exposed and thereby weaving its way into the current generations mindsets...as being acceptable. Most are not goal oriented to having a "family" of little ones. Its more about their desires to come off as uniquely "open minded" with their life style .....

I'm open minded to many things...even this concept. the difference is...I do not have to participate in such.
I doubt at 70 or 80 they will be hanging out together...or being intimate ....that is the test of a true relationship....

Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Oh please no...not two men to contend with, two lots of dirty clothes to pickup. two baths to clean, two pains in the arse to listen to when their football teams get beat.no no no... its bad enough living with the one, so why punish women more..

Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM

20,379 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
its the new slang for swapping partners and living with the decision to be so socially "above" others in their new wave concept....which isn't new by any means. Its just more exposed and thereby weaving its way into the current generations mindsets...as being acceptable. Most are not goal oriented to having a "family" of little ones. Its more about their desires to come off as uniquely "open minded" with their life style .....

I'm open minded to many things...even this concept. the difference is...I do not have to participate in such.
I doubt at 70 or 80 they will be hanging out together...or being intimate ....that is the test of a true relationship....
I know a lot of poly families with kids. And I know some polyamorous people who are in their 70's. None in their 80's though.

One family I know, there was an original married couple who were always self-identified as poly, and had dated...she finally found someone she really loved and wanted to form a strong secondary relationship with (secondary to the legal marriage in some aspects at least, probably more egalitarian in emotional investment.) She and her husband had four children, the new "second husband" brought in his son from a prior relationship, and then she got pregnant with the new boyfriend's twins. They've been in a relationship for a few years now I think, and they've lived together since early this year. The extra adult in a house with that many kids really seems to help.

I could far more easily imagine being ok with 2 husbands, than I could with that many kids in the house, but hey...whatever floats your boat.

No poly person I have ever met would say that anyone "has to" participate in such, as you put it. They feel that it works for them. So they do it. They're not trying to say that it's something everyone should do, or that a majority will ever choose to do.

I really would not want to live in a world where there was only one right way to live life, and any step outside of the strict bounds of social conformity was truly unacceptable. At the very least, it would be horribly boring.

As someone who was polyamorous for a year, and then went back to being monogamous, even I would not say that monogamy is inherently better or worse. It just works better for me right now.

Big at the claims that it is "unnatural." A narrow minded traditionalist's way of saying "I don't like it, and want to feel righteous in my judgment of it." I know of no basis whatsoever for polyamory being unnatural in any way. Might feel that way, TO YOU, but there's no grounds for you to project that onto everybody else. There are plenty of examples of nonmonogamy in everything from the Bible to the animal kingdom, to known human history. People gonna do what people want to do, whether you like it or not.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
I think it would confuse the kids.

What is they adopted, would they disclose they are a poly family?

If you want to have a thrill, keep the kids out of it.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM

20,379 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I think it would confuse the kids.

What is they adopted, would they disclose they are a poly family?

If you want to have a thrill, keep the kids out of it.
Not really sure how many times one has to say that it's not about "thrills."

If a man and woman live together married and have a sexual relationship, which they would have to, in order to reproduce normally, do you figure they're inappropriately exposing their kids to sexual things?

Why do you assume that a poly family would?

It's not different than extended families sharing a home, or back in the generations where people had more kids. The kids in that house are not confused at all. They have three adults they've got to listen to, a Mommy, a Daddy, and a Papa. No one is adopted (what does that have to do with anything?) and who are they supposed to be disclosing or not disclosing to, exactly? I'm pretty sure that their teachers at school are told. It's really not that big a deal. A five year old isn't worrying about who is having sex with whom.

And since they've got all those kids including two babies in the house, I bet there isn't a whole lot of sex happening at all!

It's rather disappointingly (to normal people who want to be titillated) not exciting, not scandalous, and not that weird.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:11 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Not really sure how many times one has to say that it's not about "thrills."

If a man and woman live together married and have a sexual relationship, which they would have to, in order to reproduce normally, do you figure they're inappropriately exposing their kids to sexual things?

Why do you assume that a poly family would?

It's not different than extended families sharing a home, or back in the generations where people had more kids. The kids in that house are not confused at all. They have three adults they've got to listen to, a Mommy, a Daddy, and a Papa. No one is adopted (what does that have to do with anything?) and who are they supposed to be disclosing or not disclosing to, exactly? I'm pretty sure that their teachers at school are told. It's really not that big a deal. A five year old isn't worrying about who is having sex with whom.

And since they've got all those kids including two babies in the house, I bet there isn't a whole lot of sex happening at all!

It's rather disappointingly (to normal people who want to be titillated) not exciting, not scandalous, and not that weird.
You need to be positive not "pretty sure"

When they see mom kissing daddy and papa, that is exposing them to mixed messages as to who is their father. What are the sleeping arrangements? If one chooses to be designated as the natural father then why is mom kissing that other guy. What is love, commitment, trust? That is a lot for a developing kid to comprehend, and would be setting them up to be bullied.

I come from a large family and our upbringing was as normal as could be but we still have conflict without any added BS like poly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates