Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,101 times

Advertisements

What is the worst Handicap Abuse person you come across? Lately, i been seeing alot of Handicap with some military award driving Cameros doing 120 down the freeway. So in my point, if you dont have a leg to stand on, or just plain too old to walk across a 20 foot parking lot then you should be getting the sticker. Just because your too over weight or took a bullet to the butt you shouldnt get it..

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,008 times
I don't know what state you live in, but in Montana, you need a Doctor's statement to get a handicap parking placard/plate. So no, you can't get one just because you are overweight, or because you had an injury in the military that fully healed. You have to have an ongoing medical condition that limits your mobility.

What vehicle they drive doesn't matter, if you want a Camaro, go purchase one.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
So, you are seeing someone with a Handicap Parking Permit driving Camaro , doing 120mph down the highway and you are assuming they do not qualify for the HPP plate???
What's with the assuming that the person is overweight or took bullet in the butt?
Do you actually ever bothered to find out the requirements to get such plate?

Each state has its own forms and criteria for handicapped parking permits. Typically, the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) runs the program. The DMV will need your doctor to verify your medical condition. Other health-care professionals -- such as an optometrist, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner -- may also be able to document your condition. If you’re visibly disabled and appear at a DMV office, the requirement of a physician’s certification might be waived in some states.
People with limited mobility can save time, energy, and frustration when they park in handicapped parking spots near the entrances to businesses.
If you have a chronic illness like arthritis or lung disease that makes it painful or difficult to walk, you might qualify for a handicapped parking permit. Other conditions might include lung disease, substantially impaired mobility, for example, use of a wheelchair, brace, or cane, a disease that significantly limits your ability walk or to use your legs, documented vision problems, including low-vision or partial sightedness, loss of one or both legs or loss of both hands, or limited use of these parts, the inability to walk two blocks without resting, heart, lung, or circulatory disease, strokes or epilepsy, mental health problems, age and other forms of serious illness... etc... etc...
Also some people might get HPP for temporary disability, such as after having surgery.
Caregivers might be using the car transporting handicapped person to/from therapy.

Why are you assuming, that some people with HP plate are abusing the system?
Hit the pause button, and give yourself a moment to think what did you just posted here and why... Come up with a better examples of abuse the HP plate than obesity or bullet in a butt. (both can be actually legally used to obtain the plate, anyway).

Last edited by elnina; 10-17-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Well consider you can go to any big shopping center and see it for your self. Got over weight people grinding the cart across the lot, Perfectly find walking around the 2 story mall, but cant manage to walk 20 feet to the entrance? See alot of normal people that doesnt seem to have issues going places. I get it if your in a wheel chair, walker, broken leg.. Any DR can easy give you the sticker just by asking. When I had back surgery, i was able to walk but he wanted to know if i wanted a sticker till i get better. I decline it as walking would help me... Cars comment was just that a comment. See plenty of high end model cars but nothing wrong with their foot for sure.. speeding and able to run around walmart without assistance.. It must be americal.. ( say like a southern folk). If you went to war ,and got shot, but doesnt affect your ability to think, walk and talk.. then why get it? If your like 400lbs and riding a scooter.. that sticker aint doing you any good.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:56 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I got a placard after my stroke & yes I can walk around the mall, but I need to sit down along the way, having a parking spot, if available, near the entrance, means I can walk a bit more before I need to sit down. I will not apologize for having one, if you think I do not look disabled, then that is your problem, not mine.

They do not seem to ever do checks on the handicap parking, I knew one college kid who would take his grandmothers placard to college, so that he could park on a street meter without having to pay the meter. That is what I call abuse.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
If the qualify, they can get the plate, according to US regulations. In your country the regulations might vary.
I am sure, some people do abuse the system, but in most cases it's really hard to prove.
Some people get the plate but opt to park somewhere else, and walk a bit on the days when they feel better. On other days, they still have an option to park on the designated spots.

And like I said, there is more to it than ability walk or to use their legs.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Reluctant to join in here, the OP is blocked for me. Neither my wife nor I have outward and visible signs of a physical handicap, but we find it very difficult to walk across the big box store parking lots, for example. A doctor gave us certification and the DOT cross checked before issuing the hang tag we use. There are several couples in Sunday school in a similar position.
The license plate is issued because one of the users rates the consideration. Someone else may be driving.
OTOH, i get upset when the "Reserved for Veterans" parking places are taken by people who I doubt are qualified. I usually wear my USAF hat and if I see someone getting in or out of the car from one of those places I ask, "Where did you serve?" Sometime I get an answer, sometimes I get a mumble or "I didn't notice, sorry." And then I make a career suggestion.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Reluctant to join in here, the OP is blocked for me. Neither my wife nor I have outward and visible signs of a physical handicap, but we find it very difficult to walk across the big box store parking lots, for example. A doctor gave us certification and the DOT cross checked before issuing the hang tag we use. There are several couples in Sunday school in a similar position.
The license plate is issued because one of the users rates the consideration. Someone else may be driving.
OTOH, i get upset when the "Reserved for Veterans" parking places are taken by people who I doubt are qualified. I usually wear my USAF hat and if I see someone getting in or out of the car from one of those places I ask, "Where did you serve?" Sometime I get an answer, sometimes I get a mumble or "I didn't notice, sorry." And then I make a career suggestion.
That too!! most think its a handicap spot as well..

I get it for things like strokes, as my mother just had one. So now and not able to walk. So she will get one soon. The abuse i am seeing is the obviously ones. Like the MOD said, kids abusing their grandma sticker, those that just too lazy to walk period. Just because you have PTSD doesnt mean you get it.. come on now.. 20 feet is lot closer to that beer store.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There's a vehicle I see at a local hardware store fairly frequently with a disabled placard displayed. Nothing about disabled vets. This store has one disabled parking spot directly in front of the entrance door as well as a couple on either side. This particular vehicle is unusual, so you can't miss it....its a massive Hummer or similar type all tricked out with off road spotlights, snorkle, winch, jerry cans, lifted shocks and springs, brush bumpers, full length safari roof rack and kayak carrier, driver's side Q beam, stickers about various outdoor sports, if you can find a spot on a truck for it he has it. The only person I've ever seen driving or sitting in it has no mobility issues. A pretty spry, tanned, athletic middle-aged man who hops in and out of the thing (well climbs in and out its so high off the ground). He always roars up into that one central parking spot as close to the shop's door as he can get. Trots out with some piece of hardware or a tool, clambers into his cockpit and roars off again. Usually when I see someone choosing a disabled space at that store they use one of the side spaces, not the glaringly obvious central spot.

I understand that the disabled person may not be the driver, but does that mean they feel OK about using the spot if they are NOT the person the placard is meant for? My mother was disabled so we had the placards, but none of us would use a disabled space if she wasn't with us. Just seems disrespectful and callous IMHO. Interesting that my dad would occasionally park in a disabled spot before my mother started needing them. He never did it again after reality hit.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
What is the worst Handicap Abuse person you come across? Lately, i been seeing alot of Handicap with some military award driving Cameros doing 120 down the freeway. So in my point, if you dont have a leg to stand on, or just plain too old to walk across a 20 foot parking lot then you should be getting the sticker. Just because your too over weight or took a bullet to the butt you shouldnt get it..
I can't figure out why it bothers you so much....why care?
I looked a picture of health before my back surgery, yet was very disabled.
While waiting for the surgery (it was a success) I had a sign i'd put up in the car and was veeeeeery thankful to be able to do so.
Ever heard "don't judge a book by its cover"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates