Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInVegas View Post
Diversity without assimilation never works.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
We have a lot of diversity in CA and the russians stick to themselves, armenians as well...but their loss and we're just fine with it all.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I just wanted to pose an open question... is diversity really so great in practice? In theory, yes, it is great. We get to learn and experience from cultures different than our own.

But in practice, it seems to create a lot of conflict. There are hundreds and hundreds of instances where cultures have mixed and the results have been... let's just say... poor. And when we do integrate by law, we tend to self-segregate anyway.

Seems to me many of us live in echo chambers where we surround ourselves with people who look, act, and think similarly to ourselves. It creates a lot of "team" atmosphere where it is "us against them". I'm not convinced this is a good thing at all.

Religion, Language, Race, Political Ideology... is diversity really that great?
Diversity is fine when people coexist. When they don't then it's a problem. Plain and simple.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Diversity is not what causes the problems you bring up. It is LACK OF TOLERANCE for other people who aren't just like you.

Diversity gives you the OPPORTUNITY to widen your horizons and learn about others and develop tolerance. It is up to you to take that opportunity. The fault is not in diversity, it is in yourself.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInVegas View Post
All people like to hangout with the people who are like themselves.
Depends on how one defines themself

If I define myself as white American male I might hang out with different people than if
I define myself as world traveling expatriot
or Baseball fan
etc.

That's the point of Diversity; to introduce more points of comparison.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 AM

983 posts, read 738,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Our country is made up of diversity, thank goodness. What a boring place if we didn't have diversity. Tolerance and acceptance is what we NEED...
Diversity just brings chaos. Homogeneous societies are always better. Far less crime, less tension, less social issues, less entanglements etc. etc.

It's especially bad when in reality saying something needs to be more "diverse" just means less white people. I also find it funny how people act as if just because one is homogeneous it can't be "diverse". Think back to when the U.S was still good majority white. Sure most people were "white" but you still had all kinds of diversity in looks (ie facial features, body types, hair colors), plenty of different cultures (Irish, Italian, Greek, British, Swedish etc.) etc. etc.

As has also been pointed out look at several Asian countries, most are quite homogeneous yet are still plenty diverse.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Diversity just brings chaos. Homogeneous societies are always better. Far less crime, less tension, less social issues, less entanglements etc. etc.

It's especially bad when in reality saying something needs to be more "diverse" just means less white people. I also find it funny how people act as if just because one is homogeneous it can't be "diverse". Think back to when the U.S was still good majority white. Sure most people were "white" but you still had all kinds of diversity in looks (ie facial features, body types, hair colors), plenty of different cultures (Irish, Italian, Greek, British, Swedish etc.) etc. etc.

As has also been pointed out look at several Asian countries, most are quite homogeneous yet are still plenty diverse.
You should travel to eastern europe sometimes. It seems that some people have learned nothing from this past weekend.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You should travel to eastern europe sometimes. It seems that some people have learned nothing from this past weekend.
I'm sure EU is a lot safer than many of the "diverse" areas in California, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago etc. etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I'm sure EU is a lot safer than many of the "diverse" areas in California, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago etc. etc.
I'm not talking about the EU, I'm talking about eastern Europe. Russia, the Ukraine. Etc... take a trip there and see how safe you feel.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The last thing I am is hateful. Our country is OPEN to all groups of humans and it's all those whities that are spewing the hate. It's truly a wake up hearing all the hate spewing on C-D.

Diversity comes in all shapes and colors and genders.
Really? Seems to me black americans are easily the most hate-filled violent people there are. Always complaining about whitey and once they get in a position of power/authority use it to attack whites in anyway they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates