Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

You can rent a room in the Bay Area for about $2500 per month due to the "devastated" economy. They also have health care for all. The BART mass transit system is nothing short of amazing...and just about everything you are using to type your comments here relies on their brain power.

I think, by its lonesome, the State of CA. is the 9th largest economy in the world. Not bad for a single state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
California is NOT doing well... it is running at a deficit.

I do not recall anyone saying "they are all rapists and murderers." Even Trump did not refer to ALL illegals when he made that famous statement. No widespread panic going on - just the facts.
Any other state have as many lucrative industries?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
San Francisco is plagued with people who defecate on the streets making it worse than some of the less sanitary countries I've visited.

Maybe people come for the amazing transit system. But I think they need a little time to toilet train their population and build a few more public restrooms.

Have you seen the map of areas to avoid for health reasons, craigiri? How is this defensible? Overcrowded or just people who haven't assimilated?

The reason the rooms are $2500 a month is to deal with the problems. Who wants this in their city?

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...ranciscos-poop

Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
San Francisco is plagued with people who defecate on the streets making it worse than some of the less sanitary countries I've visited.

Maybe people come for the amazing transit system. But I think they need a little time to toilet train their population and build a few more public restrooms.

Have you seen the map of areas to avoid for health reasons, craigiri? How is this defensible? Overcrowded or just people who haven't assimilated?

The reason the rooms are $2500 a month is to deal with the problems. Who wants this in their city?

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...ranciscos-poop
Really? You think this is the reason housing prices are so high, if anything this should drive housing prices down. This apparently hasn't scared people off.

A lot of disdain I've seen for California seems to be political.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Really? You think this is the reason housing prices are so high, if anything this should drive housing prices down. This apparently hasn't scared people off.

A lot of disdain I've seen for California seems to be political.
The same people had total disdain for "NYC Values" and "Wall Street" - that is, until they filled a new Administration with people from those two places. Now they love NYC and Wall Street and Exxon and even dirty coal.

It's amazing how their basic values seem to change at the drop of a hat.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You can rent a room in the Bay Area for about $2500 per month due to the "devastated" economy. They also have health care for all. The BART mass transit system is nothing short of amazing...and just about everything you are using to type your comments here relies on their brain power.

I think, by its lonesome, the State of CA. is the 9th largest economy in the world. Not bad for a single state.
Yeah, but it used to be #5!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
With the migrant crisis in Europe, North America etc. what if all countries were to ban any and all refugees? The vast majority just bring crime, hatred, an unwillingness to assimilate or work, and many diseases from wherever they came. What if every country just said enough is enough, and none would accept any whatsoever for any reason?

Sounds like a good deal to me!
Tell me again what nation your ancestors came from? Because however you answer, rest assured that some group of angry, fearful, hate-mongers back then wanted your ancestors kicked out of the nation and would have been happy to see them starve to death to "keep 'mericuh pure!"

Check out the Know Nothing party as a classic example of this. Oh, no - all those Irish, Germans, and Catholics are going to destroy America?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

The hypocrisy from the far-right is sickening. Now we're literally down to: "My immigrant ancestors were all great, hard-working people, but yours, who are slightly different than mine, all suck and should be banned from America."

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same people had total disdain for "NYC Values" and "Wall Street" - that is, until they filled a new Administration with people from those two places. Now they love NYC and Wall Street and Exxon and even dirty coal.

It's amazing how their basic values seem to change at the drop of a hat.
Well, sometimes some values - or all of them - have to be compromised to keep on voting Republican and blaming "liberals" and "Obama" for everything that's ever gone wrong.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
???

Do you have any idea what an immigrant has to do to become an naturalized US citizen???. and If I remember my history correctly (it wasn't my favorite subject so I could definitely be wrong) basically the only "medical" test immigrants got earlier was a check for head lice and a cough to make sure you didn't have TB. So what procedures did our "forefathers" do that we some how don't do.

??? Sorry my husband family is from Portuguese (my late husband 1st generation citizen) and you make it sound like someone shows up at the airport and says "I'm here" and then becomes a citizen? there is most definitely a lengthy screening process. On average from green card to naturalized citizen can take between 3-5 years.
Facts don't interest the far-right. My brother-in-law had to go through the whole long process to become a US citizen; anyone who claims we're just letting people become citizens without checking much of anything is either lying or just willfully ignorant at this point. And, yes, back in the day, almost no checks were done aside from basic medical. So, we'll try to ignore the astounding hypocrisy of right-wingers demanding "extreme vetting" from modern immigrants when their own ancestors barely had to do more than not have lice or TB to get into the nation. Hypocrites - their own ancestors wouldn't pass the checks they are demanding... well, aside from the obviously bigoted ones - "no brown people or Muslims allowed."

Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
California is NOT doing well... it is running at a deficit.

I do not recall anyone saying "they are all rapists and murderers." Even Trump did not refer to ALL illegals when he made that famous statement. No widespread panic going on - just the facts.
And most states are doing poorly; red states, on average, take more money from the federal government than they put in, so they are in no position to be condemning anyone else.

As for Trump, we all know full well what he was saying. He received complete support from the alt-right bigots, and trying to nuance his words misses the greater meaning of why he said what he said. He did it to score votes from the alt-right who vote based on racism. We all know that - we all know what they heard was bigoted BS - "Mexicans are rapists and murderers" - not "some illegals here and here, who just happen to be coming over from Mexico, are criminals."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates